1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaking of City Naming: Baltimore??

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by PDXJoe, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Requies

Requies Prince

Probably because Kyoto was the capital of Japan for more than 4 times longer than the United States was a nation and was also the capitol WHILE the US was a nation.

Req

2. Good Omens

Good Omens Warlord

That one is actually a bit newsworthy, because he's giving up his last year of college to enter the draft early.

3. Jecrell

Jecrell Ruled: Civ3 - Civ5

The USA wrote the book "Common Sense"
    Would you mind keeping the tongue-in-cheek dialog for the off-topic forum? I'd appreciate it.

4. DeltaV

DeltaV Chieftain

Before the advent of Zip Codes, the US Postal Service required every town post office to have a unique name within the state. Since the process involved submitting the new name by mail and getting the rejection weeks later, many people gave up with the sensible names after a couple of trys and submitted something oddball enough not to be taken already. That's how you get names like Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky and Peculiar, Kansas.

5. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Well, here in Canada, you do have to say "London, England", since London happens to be the name of one of the biggest cities in Canada. We don't say "Paris, France" however!

6. Sidewinder00Q

Sidewinder00Q Warlord

Tokyo is a recent change, i think in the last 100 years. Same situation with Ankara being the capital of Turkey, During the Ottoman rule it was Istanbul, and then before that it was Constantinople, then Byzantium...how many more times was that city's name changed? Also Russia, until the red revolution the capital of Russia was St. Petersberg, the Soviets made it Moscow and its been that way ever since.

My question is, if it recognizes the one change (Moscow) why doesn't it do the same with the others? Honestly, I'd prefer the first city the Russians founding to be St. Petersberg. But thats just my personal preference.

7. DBear

DBear unbeliever

@sidewinder, IIRC the Russian capital originally was Moscow, but Peter the Great moved it to St. Petersburg, then the Bolsheviks moved it back to Moscow. The current government evidently couldn't be bothered to change it again.

And the Russian city list has had the most changes from Civ 1. The original lists included cities in the breakaway former Soviet republics, such as Kiev, Minsk, and Riga.

8. Roxtar

Roxtar Leader of the Musicians

There's a Moscow in Idaho, home to University of Idaho. There's also a Philadelphia, Mississippi, where 3 young men died in the struggle for civil rights in the 1960s; that event was the basis for the movie "Mississippi Burning."

As far as city names in the Civ series go, you can, if you wish, give cities custom names as you found them--& I always have. I name mine after 50s/60s rock/Motown singers, or sometimes after 70s/80s country-western singers.

9. Sidewinder00Q

Sidewinder00Q Warlord

If that was the case, then Peter must have stripped Moscow completely, because Moscow was a small town of no importance when Napoleon watched the Russians burn it.

10. TripleGemini

TripleGemini Chieftain

A different thought on names...

Am I the only one neurotic enough to go into the XML files and change the names to display the correct version of the name for the country, rather than the (often) corruped English versions of those names (i.e. Tombouctou for Timbuktu and Sankt-Peterburg for St. Petersburg)?

11. mossmonster

mossmonster Consider, if you will...

Do you really, really want an answer to that??? ;)

12. TripleGemini

TripleGemini Chieftain

Probably not... then again... with as neurotic as many civ'ers seem to be. ;)

13. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Hmm...that actually sounds like an interesting idea. I've already named the German cities to their real names.

Of course, München is probably a lot harder to pronounce than Moon-itch. I always found names like Tim-buck-too or Zoro-astrianism somewhat amusing. :)

Surly every-one don't live dohwn here in these deep south lands like my pardtners and I :rolleyes:

If you don't, btw, I have this sweet little green vegetable for you to try. One of my friends from Maine did and he never forgot it: