Speaking of City Naming: Baltimore??

ButSam said:
Please don't take the news media as any indicator of American intelligence...

For the city names, I have always been somewhat annoyed that Kyoto was listed before Tokyo. My Japanese history is not that great--is there a historical reason for that? Last time I checked, Tokyo was the capitol...

Probably because Kyoto was the capital of Japan for more than 4 times longer than the United States was a nation and was also the capitol WHILE the US was a nation.

Req

ButSam said:
Let's see what dumb headlines I can find today...

"Rose Bowl hero Young opts for NFL draft" (Really?! DUH)
That one is actually a bit newsworthy, because he's giving up his last year of college to enter the draft early.

Velvet-Glove said:
Zurai: Thank you for that interesting snippet about newspaper policies... I'm very glad to hear that common sense does prevail in some areas of the US media after all. :)

The USA wrote the book "Common Sense"
Would you mind keeping the tongue-in-cheek dialog for the off-topic forum? I'd appreciate it.

sahkuhnder said:
Most of the European city names found in civ are also US city names as well. Despite the confusion this may cause, they are better than many of the names that Americans came up with on their own. Fun examples
Before the advent of Zip Codes, the US Postal Service required every town post office to have a unique name within the state. Since the process involved submitting the new name by mail and getting the rejection weeks later, many people gave up with the sensible names after a couple of trys and submitted something oddball enough not to be taken already. That's how you get names like Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky and Peculiar, Kansas.

Velvet-Glove said:
{*PS. Apologies to any American friends on here, it's just that I remarked to my partner earlier this evening how American TV shows and newsreaders tend to refer to non-US places as "Paris, France" or "London, England" etc. This always seems to me to be insulting the viewer's intelligence, particularly with major world cities like that. I would have thought the compulsory shot of Big Ben or the Eiffel Tower would be a bit of a giveaway myself but there's no acounting for the studio bosses' paranoia I suppose. :lol: }

Well, here in Canada, you do have to say "London, England", since London happens to be the name of one of the biggest cities in Canada. We don't say "Paris, France" however!

Requies said:
Probably because Kyoto was the capital of Japan for more than 4 times longer than the United States was a nation and was also the capitol WHILE the US was a nation.

Req

Tokyo is a recent change, i think in the last 100 years. Same situation with Ankara being the capital of Turkey, During the Ottoman rule it was Istanbul, and then before that it was Constantinople, then Byzantium...how many more times was that city's name changed? Also Russia, until the red revolution the capital of Russia was St. Petersberg, the Soviets made it Moscow and its been that way ever since.

My question is, if it recognizes the one change (Moscow) why doesn't it do the same with the others? Honestly, I'd prefer the first city the Russians founding to be St. Petersberg. But thats just my personal preference.

@sidewinder, IIRC the Russian capital originally was Moscow, but Peter the Great moved it to St. Petersburg, then the Bolsheviks moved it back to Moscow. The current government evidently couldn't be bothered to change it again.

And the Russian city list has had the most changes from Civ 1. The original lists included cities in the breakaway former Soviet republics, such as Kiev, Minsk, and Riga.

There's a Moscow in Idaho, home to University of Idaho. There's also a Philadelphia, Mississippi, where 3 young men died in the struggle for civil rights in the 1960s; that event was the basis for the movie "Mississippi Burning."

As far as city names in the Civ series go, you can, if you wish, give cities custom names as you found them--& I always have. I name mine after 50s/60s rock/Motown singers, or sometimes after 70s/80s country-western singers.

If that was the case, then Peter must have stripped Moscow completely, because Moscow was a small town of no importance when Napoleon watched the Russians burn it.

A different thought on names...

Am I the only one neurotic enough to go into the XML files and change the names to display the correct version of the name for the country, rather than the (often) corruped English versions of those names (i.e. Tombouctou for Timbuktu and Sankt-Peterburg for St. Petersburg)?

mossmonster said:
Do you really, really want an answer to that??? ;)

Probably not... then again... with as neurotic as many civ'ers seem to be. ;)

Hmm...that actually sounds like an interesting idea. I've already named the German cities to their real names.

Of course, München is probably a lot harder to pronounce than Moon-itch. I always found names like Tim-buck-too or Zoro-astrianism somewhat amusing. :)

Surly every-one don't live dohwn here in these deep south lands like my pardtners and I :rolleyes:

If you don't, btw, I have this sweet little green vegetable for you to try. One of my friends from Maine did and he never forgot it:

Top Bottom