Special characters in game text, how?

Gurra09

Emperor
Hello!

I'm working on a custom civ and I'm running into problems with using "special" characters in city names such as Š, ă, and ș to name a few of them. They are replaced by blank spaces when I found the cities in game!

I tried both just plain writing the letters in the code, like Š, and using their XML encoding thingy (whatever that's called), like Š, but neither works. Is there another secret way to make the game recognise the letters or will I have to replace with a simple S in the case of Š (which is wrong but better than a blank space)?

I've never had anything but trouble with special characters like the ones you mention. Some do seem to work, but a lot of them give an empty space or some other odd character instead when running the game using English as the selected language. Don't know if the other available languages are more friendly. I seem to remember all those special characters making individualized error messages in the database.log, when I was running a mod that had them as part of their text.

I do recall someone has made some patch something-or-other to fix this. I think it was Alikalix, but I have no idea where to find it at this point.

You're better off just using those characters without the added fanciness.

Right, so they're probably missing from the font the game uses. Thanks for your answers, I'll just go with the plain letters then.

What's weird though is that the character ř did show up while neither ě or Š did. Why would they include ř in their font but not other letters with the same ˇ thing? :crazyeye:

Ohoho, are you making a Czech civ? Ě and Ř are the Czechs' specialty.

No, not at all, but there is a Czech "city" in the preliminary city list. I'll post more about it in my civilization thread (link in my signature) when I'm ready to announce it (if I go through with it, that is) but I could give you a very exclusive, very early sneak peek since you ask. ;)

Spoiler :

Top Bottom