Special RAR map of the Americas

There's still a lot of work on the gigantic version though.
I hope it will be ready soon enough. :)

There is no need to hurry. :)

We still have a few todos left for Release 2.0.
Also we usually try to have a few weeks of proper testing before publishing a new release.

Alright, I've made a lot of progress on the map this week-end : altitudes, rivers and forestry are done. Now everything needs to get polished which still requires a lot of time.

Below is the map. If there is anything which seems wrong to anyone reading these lines, don't hesitate to post a message. Here's a larger version to check details:
---> SEE LARGER VERSION <--

Just for fun, here's a comparison between the "smaller map" and the new bigger map.

Spoiler :
Both maps may look the same at first glance, but check the difference of size between the blue dot which represents the starting caravel in 1492.

The map on the right side is 4 times bigger than the one on the left side.

Did you go ahead with the map, Marla?

I absolutely would like to play this fantastic map... :)
Yes! Things are moving ahead. I'm currently editing the Natives. :)

I've entirely redone Mesoamerica as the new size makes it possible to implement cities more accurately.

However, I'm not really sure I should handle the natives elsewhere as I've never played on a gigantic map yet. :blush:

Do you think it would be better to double the number of natives cities or for instance to give all of them a culture of 100 so that they would increase their city radius and make more lands necessary to be bought to Natives?

No matter the solution, I've already added natives villages for Hurons, Iroquois and other civilizations which had really a small number of cities. I was thinking that outside the Mixtecs, Zapotecs and Tarascans, no native should have less than 4 cities. What do you think?

Do you think it would be better to double the number of natives cities or for instance to give all of them a culture of 100 so that they would increase their city radius and make more lands necessary to be bought to Natives?

I wouldn't do that.
It is not necessarily bad, if there is some space to settle between the Native villages.

Also, if the Natives get too powerful (meaning to have too many villages), the other Europeans usually don't stand any chance.

Thanks Ray for the tip. :thumbsup:

Then I'll just add few villages here or there where they are really too scarce but I won't do more than that.

As for the starting locations of Europeans, instead of trying to spread them all over the map, I was wondering if I shouldn't do it more brutal: England, Sweden, the Netherlands and France all arriving on the North American Atlantic shores. :D

It could be interesting this way as the AI will pick first colony founding location more randomly, according to where neighbours will install. It would probably leads to more war between Europeans though, but that could also be interesting after all. What do you all think? :)

Alright, I think I'm good with a first version of the gigantic map. [party]

You can download it directly from this post. If you see anything wrong in it or have any question, don't hesitate! :)

I've studied everything very carefully during hours but I can't know everything. There are probably mistakes or maybe even bad decisions regarding any kind of things. So your feedback is welcomed!

See two posts below for file. &#8595;&#8595;

Oups! I made the Mapuche civilization playable to test behaviours of Europeans AI. :blush:

That's now corrected. The new uploaded version is all good. :)

It seems the Church and wild animals weren't appearing on the map. Here's a new version. On this one both of them appears. :)

Attachments

• rar-americas-gigantic.zip
    137.3 KB · Views: 232
Fantastic map Marla, I cannot wait to get my hands on it!;)

Just curious as to what program to open it up with? Windows is giving me an option of:

Microsoft Picture it!
PHP HMTL Scripting Language
Free File Viewer
Free Text Pad

However, none of these seem to allow me access to the map. :(
I'm probably doing something silly, but any help you could render would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

On the post above yours, there's a zip folder with the ".ColonizationWBSave" file that can be directly played in the game. You just need to extract the file to your "save/worldbuilder" folder if I recall correctly.

If what you meant was to check the source code, then you can open it with Notepad++.

Thanks for publishing! I will hopefully test the map at the weekend...
Thanks that's good news! I had to make several choices so I would really be happy to have the opinion of an experienced RAR player.

This of course also applies to Colonialfan, Nightingale, Ray, Pallando or anyone else who would be interested.

The map offers various regions which could make interesting starting locations, even though they aren't really historical: California, Colombia, Argentina, Peru... Even though it is only one map, I hope it could offers many different gameplay experiences according to where we land.

Is it posible to enable the selection of different leaders (choice between leader 1 or leader 2 of every nation) for every nation so that the player can choose his preferred leader?

Is it posible to enable the selection of different leaders (choice between leader 1 or leader 2 of every nation) for every nation so that the player can choose his preferred leader?
There's been a discussion about this here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=522115

Unfortunately, it's not possible to randomize Europeans (which would allow to pick the leader) and to place natives at the same time. It's either all civs random or all civs set up. At best we can have European starting locations random, but not leaderheads. Nightingale talks in that thread about python's solutions to place native civs areas, but it didn't seem possible to place their cities precisely.

I would be interested by the way to have a deeper conversation about Python map scripting with Nightingale as my first tests with random natives weren't fitting well. If it could be improved, specifically for that map and with no impact on the rest, that could be interesting.

There's still a way to choose your preferred leader though: open the map file with notepad, after the first lines defining relationships, you'll find descriptions of players. For instance if you want to play the English with Washington, simply replace LEADER_PENN with LEADER_WASHINGTON.

Looks like I'm gonna have to learn a bit about map editing for 2.0 release...the map looks nice, but I prefer games that have some distance between land and high seas to allow some naval warfare and piracy.

The first post has been updated with the gigantic map included in the zip file.

I've also posted new screenshots of the gigantic map. :)

Top Bottom