*Spoiler4* Gotm24-Korea - End Game Submitted

Originally posted by Xevious
... Fission is 7 turns away! Oh man this is not good. I'm only 3 turns from palace ...
Could not you just put most of your citizens not to work thus reducing the number of shields per turns?
Entertainers / taxmen or scientits ...

in the gotm event, there are participating a lot of excellent civ-players and usually they are presenting their truly impressive in-game results here.

i want to tell not about how good i played gotm24, but how "bad" i was, were my flaws were located and what i think i've learned. i want to post in the name of - let's say - the "rank 100+"-players of gotm.

after building a moderate korean empire that was formed out of three ancient tribes i lost the tech race and the han won a diplomatic victory.

i didn't post in the 3rd spoiler thread because i lost the game about 20 turns after reaching the conditions to participate, so i didn't see the point in boasting my achievements in the industrial age when i already knew i lost the game anyway.

"to play at least one good game in a month" - somewhere here, this is stated as a reason to play a gotm, and indeed, it is. the game was thoughtfully set up, and a lot of details - rivals, resources locations, barbarians - are arranged in a manner that makes sense, instead of being spilled over the map randomly, like in standard games.

however, emperor is a little bit too tough for me yet. i got the notion i am thinking to slow for the pace of an emperor game. but for now, my result is o.k. for me because i made it to the top three of my in-game score, and that means i accomplished three of four conditions on the way to win games at high difficulty:
1. don't be conquered,
2. don't be last,
3. be in the top3,
4. win a game.
(don't know where i read this, it was somewhere here in the forums.)

here's my analysis of why i lost the game:
1. i came too late to a couple of important in-game events. first of all, the civs of the starting landmass won the race to japan. additionally, there were some lags in tech research, e.g. entered middle ages too late. i hopelessly fall behind in tech during the medieval age. i was able to catch up because the baekje luckily build the great library next to my borders.
same with industrial age: too late again so i could not make valuable deals with medicine, that i got for free due to the scientfic trait. no easy possibility to catch up this time.
2. haven't attacked the han. even a limited, defensive war could have been useful and would have used up a part of their ressourses for a period of time. considering the meagre warfare abilities of the ai, conquering one or two cities might have been possible though they were a strong rival.
3. in the endgame, after the han builded the u.n. i would not take part in an election, because the takeda were the biggest civ around. i tried to weaken them by making them declare war on me and dragging serveral other civs into the conflict. but the process of takeda's decline was way too slow and this opened the way for the han to invoke the election because takeda's reputation was ruined but they were still no.1 in population and no.2 in territory. it would have needed much more time to make me no.2 and takeda no.3 (as far as i understand the u.n. elections).

no reasons to loose, but some bad luck for me: never got a single leader. i was saving elites for easy battles etc. but no luck with that.
the han got a industrial golden age with universal suffrage + hoover dam, they produced tanks when i was upgrading my musketmen.

things that i could have done better:
- i should not only think about the next step, but think ahead to the 2nd and 3rd step: what will i be able to do when i accomplish the goal i am working on now? i should try to reflect these possibilities in my present decisions.
- planning ahead in city placement and tech research is not enough. it seems useful, for example, to make a reasonable "wonder wishlist" and work out ways to gain those wonders and start pre-builds early.

I did many of your mistakes too, bluebox.

My biggest regret in the game was not having pre-emptive wars against the peninsula civs, especially the Han. I risked myself by letting the Han grow, which was really a mistake of mine.

I should have built a 2nd core. In Civ, I normally get a 4-turn pace for techs from Industrialisation onwards, but this time I was getting them in 8-10 turns, even with 90-100% science.

That's why I got so astonished when I won my game, even with my date relatively late compared to other players. My experience in Diplomatic Victory was almost nil, and I'm happy to say I learned a lot about diplomacy in this game.

And also I saw that I'm still not prepared to go Predator. :D

Good luck in your next game, man. :thumbsup:

blue-box,

There are some excellent players, and then there are the likes of me: happy to win on emperor/deity at all. The most useful tip I've found is to use mass upgrade. Don't hook up your resources until you have a bunch of warriors, chariots or horsemen to upgrade. If you have lots of cash but poor production you might even want to consider pillaging your own resources and go back to making warriors instead of swordsmen (or horsemen instead of knights).

There are at least two basic ways to get lots of cash:
1) Don't research more than you need to. Once you've conquered a civ they can give you techs in exchange for your kindness. This is the method most of the top players seem to prefer.
2) Build the great library and switch research to zero. The problem with this is that it takes a while to reach literature. But it is easier to plan than number 1. Just start building early and don't give literature away to the other civs, because they will change their build orders from Great Lighthouse when somebody finishes it. Chop some forest and get extra shields, it's healthy exercise.

Again, I am not a top player, and I would recommend reading the posts of e.g. SirPleb, who gives lots of details and explanations.

Originally posted by Megalou
[Chop some forest and get extra shields, it's healthy exercise.
And only that. ;) You can't chop to accellerate Wonders. Once you chopped while building unit/improvement, you can't switch to Wonder. Same is true for disband gains.

Bluebox,

Excellent learning points, that is one of the beautiful things about the GOTM, you can learn from your own mistakes (sometimes painful as they are). Someone once said "Experience comes from learning from your mistakes, Wisdom is learning from someone else's mistakes!" Anyway, I have learned tremendously through the GOTM process. The biggest mindset change for me at Emporer/Diety is to realize that the AI will outresearch you for the first two ages, so don't even try to keep up, it is a waste of money. It is cheaper to buy techs on credit (gpt deals) after they trade it around. If you can, wait until two techs are out, but not all the AI have both yet, then you can buy one for gpt, then trade it to one of the slower AI for the other tech, getting two for the price of one. This will at least keep you relatively current.

Prior post here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1308012#post1308012

At the end of the IA my Golden Age had just ended. I had been gifting techs in the hope that some other civs would research some techs for me. I finally got Mass Production from Han in 1310.

In 1355 I entered the Modern Age and wanted Fission (of course), but got Ecology. I was almost ready with a UN prebuild, but now it had to wait for me to discover Fission. Even though I had been researching at 4 turns, Fission required 8. Finally, in 1395 I got it and built the UN 2 turns later.

Since I had gifted so many techs during the Industrial Age the voting was no contest. I won 5 - 2 with one abstention.

One amusing thing that happened was that when the vote came up it was between Wang Kon and Nobunaga San. I had not been paying any attention to the names of the other leaders during the entire game. Therefore, I didn't know which one was me!! I had to choose right then as I couldn't leave that screen. Fortunately, I had been keeping a log and could Alt-Tab to the desktop. I went to the CivFanatics site and read through the Spoilers until I came upon someone who was telling the story of the Great Wang Kon. In that way I was able to discover my identity and vote for the good guy.

I made no effort during the game to go to war with any of the civs on the other continent. A few of them declared war on me, but only 3 enemy units ever made it to my territory during the entire game. As a matter of fact, I did not build any naval units after my second Galley made contact with the other continent.

A great job cracker. Very entertaining. I now intend to go back and replay with the goal of invading the civs on the other continent.

I remembered who I was, thankfully, but had forgotten who a couple of my opponents were (Except Wu-Ti of the Han, who had been furious at me for the past millenia or so, so I remembered him!!). I had to double check after the vote to see who was #2, since I thought it would be close between Tokugawa and Takeda (it was Takeda).

Civ1.29f Conquest - Diplomatic Victory in 1395AD, Firaxis score 5500

lol - So I'm not the only one to forget my own name! However I did not alt-tab...it was quite a thrilling gimmick at the very end of the end-game rush, but I guessed - I guessed the first on the list would be somewhat more probable, and I guessed right :D
Han btw were quite polite to me during the last couple of centuries (after offering them some tech bargains), and maybe even voted for me. Takeda was the only nation annoyed with Korea, probably still side effects of their senseless early IA "tribute force" war.

Other than that, our last centuries were quite the same as zagnut's. We kept the lead on the tech tree with 1-2 techs, continiously got a tremendous amount of gpts (about 1k) from the other civs, and never bothered with building ships or even offensive forces since eliminating Gogoryu in the MA.
Around 1350-1375 we finally *could* have started building up a huge military and crush Han - but hey - a diplomatic victory at the earliest date possible is a diplomatic victory at the earliest date possible; and not any kind of milking nonsense :rolleyes: .

Overall impression:
Great game. Especially I appreciated the much earlier than expected victory, which was mainly due to the >>Korean Commercial Overkill<<, originating in the combination of an early IA GA and the scientific trait exploited at the right time.
The downside of this was a, well, perhaps a bit too short and boring IA, and of course I never used (or even saw) some of the new units.

[ptw] 1.21f
Industrial Age Post

Left off the Industrial Age discussion in 1210AD when TOE was built and we jumped to RADIO tech and traded for everything the AI had. At this stage the AI was trading around 500GPT for all our tech / commomdity trades, as the game progressed this just got better. 4 turn research was assured.

The game continued in the same vain, the AI did research one more useful tech, but that was it. Oda soon became the main threat and looked to be No.2, so did consider war and alliances but held off hoping for perfect rep. When Oda came with idle threats for techs, they were rudely rebuffed, and their threats were without doubt idle and no war occured.

Han was a good boy and just traded all game, no wars.

Big UN pre-build started, Fission one turn from research. Signed MPP, and ROP with all civs, even Oda, gave all Civs 1000GP, techs, resources, maps, everything.

AD 1395, Diplomatic Victory (8 to 1), Firaxis score 5412

Game ended with perfect rep, three wars started but with honour, no trades broken, no deals broken, no alliances broken, no ROP rape, no nothing. First time ever, perfect rep, should get a bonus star for that.

Great game, great map, first predator game no problem, bring on Medal Game 6-2. That is what I wrote in my notes, without spoiling 6-2 I did live to regret that comment, from Predator to chump in the space of a few days.

Smackster

I haven't seen this discussed or mentioned yet, so I thought I would discuss my interpretation of Cracker's "Pregame Wisdom." This was added to another post without any fanfare in an earlier thread, and at first I wasn't even sure if it was intentional, but I don't think Cracker does anything unintentionally ;)

Cracker's Post

Lock up the monkey and ape so they cannot run away.
Tame the wild horse so that it cannot get out of control.
Grasp the opening of the Gate and when cultivation is complete,
The beam of golden light will penetrate your entire being.

I assumed it to be some sort of reference to this month's game, but wasn't sure how to interpret it or if it would become part of a "puzzle". I also probably took it a little too literally, trying to look up the Korean words for Monkey, Ape, Horse, etc., but by the time I got going into the game, I realized the civ names were historical Korean groups. However, here was my interpretation of it:

Lock up the monkey and ape so they cannot run away:
I assumed this meant the Baejke and Goguryeo, and that we needed to keep them from expanding too much.

Tame the wild horse so that it cannot get out of control:
I alternately thought this was the Han or the Barbarians. I thought maybe horse was some reference to China. However, I finally settled on it refering to the barbarians, especially after the Uprising, when Wild Horses were out of control on Barb Island!!

Grasp the opening of the Gate and when cultivation is complete,
I assumed this referred to some type of land bridge, and explored everywhere to find it. Eventually, I interpreted it to mean the mountain passes between myself and the Han, so I build a couple cities and fortified troops there to hold them back, until "cultivation", my improvements in my core areas, was complete.

The beam of golden light will penetrate your entire being.
Not sure on this one, just assumed it would be good fortune, winning the game.

In hindsight, I could have interpreted it somewhat differently, and applied it to the strategy several other people used sucessfully. If we still assume the monkey and the ape are the first two tribes, and strive to keep them from running away (to another land mass...), tame the Wild Horse (Han) to keep them managable, grab the opening of the Gate of Communications (i.e. Lighthouse, or suicide junks) while we Cultivate Contacts, and then the Golden Light of technology will flood over us.

Anyway, that is my interpretation, but I could also be way off base. It didn't really affect my strategy so much as confirmed it, but was an interesting bit of atmosphere (the wisdom of Confucious, or just confusing???). And if it was just a random quote, then I guess I went overboard!!!

Originally posted by Justus II
... so I thought I would discuss my interpretation of Cracker's "Pregame Wisdom."

Cracker's Post

... was an interesting bit of atmosphere (the wisdom of Confucious, or just confusing???). And if it was just a random quote, then I guess I went overboard!!!
And here I thought the more subtle aspects of including a few of these quotes might have passed by the masses unnoticed.

"Even if only one is reached, the effort shall not have been in vain"

Spoiler 1 Post

Not much of note happened after my spoiler 1 post. I figured I was dead but played a few turns trying to stick it out. I was concentraing no infrastructure and culture to fight against Baekje's culture which was taking 3 tiles from my capitol! I was making lots of money and payed an enormous sum of money, gpt and tech for contacts and the world map after the first Japanese junk appeared off my northern shore. Unfortunately my fellow continentals saw them and traded the contacts around just before I got them.

Shortly after I obtained the gunpowder tech but had no saltpeter. I gave up then. I might have been able to go for diplomatic victory or possibly even make a dent in Baekje eventually, but I didn't have the experience or patience for it.

I couldn't submit a retired game, so I disbanded all cities and units that I could (for some reason the eqWorker wouldn't disband, and I couldn't abandon my capitol) and declared war on everyone. It took about 3 turns for Han D and Baekje to show up by my undefended captiol, and Han D's turn was first in the rotation and I lost by conquest after ending my turn in 660AD.

I didn't expand quickly enough early enough, and I didn't irrigate the wools because I didn't think it would help in despotism. Found out later I was wrong. D'oh! I also had some really bad luck as my iron source depleted in 975 BC as I was building up for another offensive on Baekje! At the time I assumed it was programmed that way by Cracker to happen just after the QSC submittal for a nasty twist, but as far as I've read I'm the only one it happened to. Baekje's culture and Bushi, and Han D's total takeover of the Gogury was too much power for me to go up against.

I did learn a lot, though, and it's already showing up in other solo games and my SG.

Link to spoiler1, Ancient Times
Link to spoiler2, Metallurgy
Link to spoiler3, Mass Production

It was a short hop for me from Mass Production to the end of the game.

I'd delayed building Theory Of Evolution because:
1) I wanted to give my rivals as much time as possible to work on one research path while I worked on another.
2) I'd decided to take Fission as one of my free techs from ToE. Although I'd maintained four turn research for quite a while, I would not be able to research Fission that easily. It would certainly need at least five turns and probably would need six. So I had a choice. I could gamble on getting Fission as my free tech for Modern Times, but if the gamble didn't work then I'd use six turns to learn Fission the hard way. Or I could save ToE to get Fission for free, but lose the chance of gaining four turns if Fission was my free tech. With just a one in four chance of getting Fission as the free tech I'd rather not risk the downside, I'd rather use ToE to get it.

So after learning Mass Production in 790AD I had just one tech to be researched - Motorized Transportation.

I had prebuilds for both the UN and Theory of Evolution started long before this, timed to finish in 830AD. If I hadn't been able to trade for Combustion then of course I'd have slowed these down to hit a later date as necessary. I didn't save a leader for either of these because they were easy enough to time - instead I used a couple of leaders earlier on to rush Universal Suffrage and Magellan's, eliminating all pending wonder builds and allowing me to trade Scientific Method without worrying about cascades. My Theory of Evolution build was in a city which came before my UN prebuild city in the game's internal sequence so that I could finish both in the same turn.

In 820AD I declared war on Tokugawa (guessing them to be my largest rival though it wasn't critical), allied everyone else against them, and showered my other rivals with gifts. They were all gracious.

In 830AD I learned Motorized Transportation, finished Theory of Evolution, used it to learn Flight and Fission (got Ecology as my free tech), finished the UN, and held the vote.

It turned out that Shimazu were my rivals in the voting so Tokugawa abstained and in 830AD I won a diplomatic victory by a vote of five to one :)

SirPleb:

830AD?!? :worship:
I am most impressed with your victory, SirPlebSan.
But I also appreciate your description. I thought I had taken a step forward (for me, anyway) and try to get the AI to research some of the optional techs for me during the IA. I have even tried to concentrate on one branch, hoping they will pick up techs on the other, but I have a way to go to plan for and "guide" their research as you did. Especially during the middle ages, I set myself behind by counting on a leader for the FP, and so took forever to get my second core up, and ended up buying tech through the middle ages, not leading it. I have looked at the "What will the AI research" article, but usually just as a way to select the tech they are least likely to go for, when I want trade value. I have much to learn!

I have a couple of questions on another aspect of your game, the "slow warfare". I tend to fight short, quick wars targeted on a specific objective, then take my 20 turns to build up for the next one. From your description, yours was a much more gradual approach, although "slow" in relation to your research timeline might be misleading. My questions are: How do you handle War Weariness, being in Republic the whole time? I can usually count on luxuries and the slider for 10-15 turns, but then it gets too expensive. Second, do you try to go after cities first, or draw his forces out against your defenders and then go on the offensive? I have often thought that would be a better strategy, particularily for MA and IA warfare, but because I am trying to fight quick wars, I go after his cities pretty quickly.

SirPlebsan,

It is a wise man who calms the waters regardless or whether he chooses to walk through, around, or on the glass-like surface or the pond. ;)

830 AD is most impressive.

Do you have a reading of your domination percentage?

Very nice gameplay, SirPleb. :thumbsup:

And to think that I was avoiding wars afraid of losing the Diplo victory. :rolleyes:

I've never seen somebody to get Fission with ToE. You must have had a very confortable tech lead.

This was a unique experience for me, so I will give you an insight into the storyline in my head while playing the game. Given enough time I could have turned it into a full tale but unfortunately Civ story writing does no pay rent.

[ptw] 1.27f

The short story of Wong Yndy Zen.

Wong Yndy Zen was the ruler of the Koreans, a warmongering king that wanted to lead his people to the diplomatic domination of the world. He never looked at the Gogury and Baejke tribes as more than weaker related people. In four successive wars the two were integrated in the mainstream Korean Culture but independent city-states would remain on the Cheju (Barb) Island. The Forbidden Palace was build in the center of the lands of the three tribes to testify their unification.

The Han were malicious tribes non-related to the Koreans. In the first phase, Wong Yndy Zen took three of their cities their luxuries. But later a vision told him that the Korean Peninsula was given by the gods to Korea only and that the Han had to perish. So, Wong Yndy Zen broke the 9 turns-old peace treaty and invaded the Han with its newly developed Cavalry that was no match for the Chinese Riders. Several years later another vision told WYZ that a hero will build a new Korean Palace in Shanghai and the king then moved to his new residence the very next day.

New tribes were met when a junk was taken by a typhoon and thrown on the coast of Japan. The Japanese were proud people that mocked the Koreans for their love of ducks. The Shimazu, Kuroda and Takeda tribes suggested that WYZ had more than affection for the harmless bird. WYZ declared war to them and ignored the fact that the other Japanese tribes were joking about Koreans. Instead he took their money and traded techs with them. He also made Military alliances and set the lands of Japan into an endless war.

Soon after the demise of the Han, waves of Cavalries landed on the shores of the Kyushu (Shimazu) Island and slaughtered the Oda Harquebusiers defending the cities. Shimazu were never defeated thanks to their impenetrable fortress build on one of the neighboring islands. The Koreans never though of the possibility of employing Marine Infantry to take it down. The Shimazu resistance remained a significant force in the region and deposed the Korean Governors six times. Each time Korea broke the existing peace treaties and re-conquered those cities.

Next was the Shikoku Island inhabited by the backward Chosogabe. They were no match for the Korean armies but treacherous waters made transfer of units slow. Finally, it was time for WYZ to set foot on the Honshu Island, the largest of all. Japanese Cavalries landed in the North and the South of the Mori state and obliterated the defenses. Again, two Mori cities located elsewhere in Japan were spared. Kuroda were no more since the Oda – Mori alliance overtook their lands.

While the new Industrial Age was blossoming in Korea, the Oda, Togukawa and Takeda developed a new concept: Nationalism. Nationalism meant for them that all people were taught in school about the Korean duck stories. The insult was too much and the Cavalries charged again towards the Oda and Togukawa. This time the advance took painfully long preparations. But in the end the Oda were reduced to one island city and another town in the far south.

With the development of Tank warfare, Togukawa and Taked were soon to be completely wiped out but then WYZ had his last vision of a diplomatic domination. Would it be possible that the remaining small civilizations recognize the leadership of the Korean president?

After a round of multi-party negotiations where Korea made lots of compromises in exchange for military alliances against the evil Takeda it became clear that the remaining independent states were all furious on Wong Yndy Zen and would never vote for him. The following turn, a breakthrough in Computers technology showed that a United Nations project was at least six turns away.

‘Well if you don’t want to vote for me, than you have no use for Korea. A state of War is declared with each of you.’ was the official closing of Wong Yndy Zen at the Beijing Peace Summit. The construction project underway there was changed to an agency in-charge with the Search of Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.

In 1255AD the military dominance of Korea was proclaimed with only 6 independent cities remaining. Togukawa and Mori were wiped out in the last years of the war.

Wong Yndy Zen had one last dream. It was about something he had learned in school about scoring according to Jason and Firaxis International Standards. The vision shattered with a weird message “ERROR! Missing Pediacons *?@ Korea ?%& Happy $%#”

The Game will now exit

Sir Pleb, I once told Qitai how strange rabbits he pulled from his hat. But this rabbit is a new, an alien one.

A gamble worth praise and wonder, and to that the unreal IDEA of holding off the ToE. I bow before you, without bending over :)

Now I have to go and do Harakiri.."Where is my rusty katana again?"

Btw, as if anyone would be interested...I got my Predator-win in 1120AD..I think I just go back to conquest and try to learn the game all over again.

Top Bottom