[R&F] Spotted: Anti-Cav Policy Card

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by NegativeZero, Jan 30, 2018.

1. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

Spotted in Devs Play Scotland by jokeshot; Feudal Contract's +50% Production has been changed to include Medieval and Rene. Anti-cav units.

This change is in recent versions of R&F and not the review copies.

Since Feudal Contract Policy has been changed, I hope the devs have extended that to all era melee/range production cards. I was promised Hoplite Armies by Gorgo, and this could make it happen.

With this and Oligarchy's tweek to anti-cav, battlefield dynamics should change as mounted units may face some pressure.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I hope, for Scotland and the Cree's sake, we get equivalent cards for Recon units too.

3. liv

liv Emperor

that is good

4. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Would be nice if the recon card gave a production bonus to recon units as well as double XP. If they did, then the Cree scout-rush would certainly become more viable.

Thormodr likes this.
  5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

And it might make sense to use the policy for other civs more often

6. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

If your looking for unit exp, Elite Troops (Dark Policy) +100% unit exp w/ +2 unit maint. could work, but comes quite late.

This may work well for the Scotland's UU as you can stack the barracks exp bonuses as well before upgrading your scouts to highlanders.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  7. darkace77450

darkace77450 Emperor

Now we just need one for siege weaponry and we're good to go.

conorbebe, steveg700 and NegativeZero like this.
  8. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Yep, siege units need the love.

9. criZp

criZp Emperor

You don't need to produce siege units is the same amounts as regular combat troops, so a card for them is not really as necessary.

10. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Plus Scotland spawns next to Causeway, and then you just jaunt over to the Matterhorn.

Thormodr likes this.
  11. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

You can use the upgrade trick to build siege units cheap, especially since you can now faith purchase catapults as soon as you have monarchy and the chapel and upgrade to bombards for a low cost. Recon can use the cheap scout to get alot of low cost rangers.

To be honest upgrade should probably be nerfed to a great degree and in such case production cards will become alot more valuable.

12. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

Still no bonus to siege units.

This +50% is good, although anti-cav still seems very bad.:crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye: Lack of prod-boost cards is only one of their disadvantages.

Tiger Genocide and NegativeZero like this.
  13. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Warlord

Firaxis seems to be on a turtle/defensive Civ phase with many that style being added in R&F. So I feel the boost to anti-cav lines through oligarchy and production cards is consistent with that defensive/turtle style.

The largest obstacle all other unit types face when combating mounted troops are the movement points.

Civs like Persia, Chandra's India, and Scotland may have boring +2 movement w/ X war abilities, but they can toss fast and different unit types during that war to pick the best match ups.

Army composition may mean more in future games. I don't know, but I'm excited for that prospect.

Thormodr and SammyKhalifa like this.
  14. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

Maybe they should give cavalry combat penalty on defence which would nerf them as frontline troops and make infantry more valuable. Anti cavalry is pretty decent on its own as it can get good bonus against both melee and cavalry as well as some nice defensive perks.

They are also resourceless so that is a nice fallback if anything. They also get the pike and shoot which make their upgrade path better.

15. Olleus

Olleus Deity

I did that for 8 Ages of War. Every 2 eras has a policy card that gives +50% towards the relevant anti-cavalry and siege unit. Every unit now has a policy card, and every land policy card boosts exactly 2 different classes of units.

It's such a bloody obvious thing to do that it's positively shocking it took firaxis 18 months to do it, and they still couldn't do it right. Sometimes I disagree with what they do, but understand the design philosophy it comes from, or see that its for marketing reasons. This? Utter stupidity is the only possible explanation in my book.

PYITE likes this.
  16. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

It's hard to imagine using it effectively without favorable terrain. Still, the bigger problem for me is that Military Tactics is a deadend, so I'm not building along that upgrade path.

Maybe a penalty on defense, though you'd still want to have them probing enemy territory. I still think they should have defense penalty if they're on hills (as in worse than flat terrain). That'll make you keep them on open fields and you won't try to invade hilly areas with cavalry.

17. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

I don't see why they can not stop making it a dead end tech. Feels a bit wrong you can develop stuff such as military science without having military tactics.

Depravo likes this.
  18. GlobalTree

GlobalTree Chieftain

I think a combat strength nerf to horsemen is needed ,rather than nay buffs to spearmen,since it makes kind of a soft counter to everything then if buff their cb,much prefer horsemen cb nerf + the changes already existing.also can make some civs like greece way op as they are already quite strong
    but i think these Changes are enough imo.

19. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Emperor

I wonder has Agoge been changed also?

anandus likes this.
  20. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Hopefully. It's a bit odd that Gorgo can't use Agoge to build Spartan Hoplites... :lol:

anandus, Josephias, Babri and 4 others like this.