Stalker0's State of the Mod - 1/11/2022

Having had a couple of goes with the new spy system i do like it much better overall apart from spy defense seems way too weak and the production distruption option seems particularly unblanaced. It is a training mission for level 1 spies, takes almost no time at all to complete and even with maximum defenses possible in my capital i can only get a 10% to counter it and the irony is even if i do capture an enemy spy that only means the AI get s another new one and i will likely be targeted again so it is just delaying the inevitable.

Current example. I am playing an epic speed huge map with 12 civs and it seems any time we cross an era my capital is effectively blocked from producing anything for a significant period as i get "production distruption" spam in my capital. Latest example is we are transitioning into the industrial era so all getting new spies. It took me over 50 turns to build a gattling gun in my capital which should only take 14 turns and after that i have been trying to build a public school for over 50 turns now with no success and i have even rushed it with gold so it only takes half the time to build with no success. I assume it will eventually be built when the others run out of new spies to train up. I am not even one of the current leaders in my game.

This scenario repeats every time we transisition into a new era where we gain additional spies.

The system as it is has focused my attention away from my capital where i have now started to look at making other cities production centres and trying to focus more on building wonders in those cities but ths doesn't seem right as for many aspects of the game the capital get all the nice bonuses and you need to concentrate multipliers in particular so it is kind of a double nerf to the player.

In the very least there needs to be some sort of cooldown mechanic where if a mission is successful it adds a stacking amount to spy resistance for a period of time. This seems reasonable as if your factory get sabotaged you increase protection even if for a short period of time.

The production distruption would be less unfun if it scaled better. Every distruption is big enough that it resets whatever you are building back to zero. It would be better if it was based on a percentage of the cities production.e.g. disruption amount = city production at start of mission X 0.5 X number of turns to complete mission.

From what i have been able to understand a larger and more prosperous a city is the weaker its spy defense is which is another nerf to capital cities as whatever route your taking your capital is almost always the largest and most properous and thus have the weakest defense against spies. It would be better if it was based more on happiness in a city which again seems more logical as you are more likely to be able to successfully operate as a spy if you have disgruntled population to manipulate and assist you.

Last edited:
Just giving an update that i have actually abandoned the game detailed in my previous post as i feel the spy system broke my game at least to the point of silliness.

I found myself in a system of two extreams. The only reason my capital has been able to build anything for at least 100 turns is because America has founded a city on any little island it can find and has 34 cities which i am converting systematically and getting floods of production from Council of Elders, other than that anything taking longer than 5 turns is unbuildable and even with a spy camped in the city i haven't caught a single spy in all that time and i can't build any more spy defense buildings as they would take longer than 5 turns to build even rushing them with gold. One of my other cities now appears to have a spy camped in it also which is constantly distrupting production so i can't build anything there either.

This kind of seems extreme but i was persisting until i got two production distruptions on the last turn of building Worlds Fair with the killer point, which i can only hope is a bug/unintended issue, being as the project is a joined up project those production distruptions affected the whole project rather than just the city specific production. With all my cities working on it i should have got silver even with 1 turn lost in those two cities but i actually achieved zero production as it wiped out production to the project as a whole.

The other extream is i have more gold than i can do anything with. This is from running very easy gold stealing missions where i can streal imaginary gold the AI doesn't even have and ironically the AI stealing imaginary gold from me (with my gold supply not deminishing) and then using that gold to buy techs from me so i know who 'stole' it. As a side note i like the change where it is impossible now to sell the AI techs for GPT as that restricts you to generally trading tech for tech and only with friends which makes it more balanced apart from now exploiting the spy system to steal large sums of non existent gold.

I have started a new game with the spy system turned off will be playing with it turned off until something drastic changes with the spy system.

At this point, I wish there were a way to turn spies off but leave diplomats on. I'm not sure this is possible, but if it were then it would be a great option to have.

Like Fluffball I turn spying off now as it makes the whole game experience so much more enjoyable. Feel sorry if England is in any of my games though. One way to help elevate the problem with disruption is make it a level 2 spy to do that task, instead of any basic spy. That way if you lose a spy you would have to at least train another one up or send an experienced one. Also, it might be better if there were more than 3 levels for a spy, as again this is a disadvantage for England, particulalry as they gain spies at level 2 anyway.

Top Bottom