Standard Speed is way too fast!

I feel like once the game goes Gold, there will be a good area for a mod mod on various speed adjustments to adjust for taste.

Fixed in current version. Now epic should behave like the others in terms of buildings / techs ratio.
In which release that was fixed and how? I actually like Epic building to tech ratio and am now concerned.

IMO epic is best because at lower speeds you can't deploy soldiers anywhere remotely far without them being outdated on arrival. And game paces don't do anything to unit speed.

Also I just like to savor each new tech.

I normally play on Epic/Huge speed and maps. Given how so many people were complaining about happiness issues, which I had been having no trouble with in my games, I tried to play a game at standard speed and map size to see if had something to do with game speed or map size.

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE PLAY AT THIS PACE?!

There's no time to build anything before the next tech rolls out. I'm halfway through constructing building or unit and a new tech rolls in throwing me further and further behind the curve. No wonder people are having issues the game is blitzing by and there's no time to react or build anything.

My first thought is: "Well, you're not supposed to be able to build everything, that's the whole point." If every city can build everything it needs just in time for the next tech unlock, you're not really making any decisions when it comes to buildings.

When playing normal I find that if I go progress and stick all my cities on hammer focus for the first half of the game, most cities will keep up with tech to a reasonable degree unless I'm in a big war and need to pump out units from every city. If I don't play progress, then I need to be a lot more careful about what buildings I'm picking because they take longer to build and I won't get to put every building in every city. This means I need to specialize my cities more when I don't play progress. Eventually my culture city will build a barracks, walls, and a library, but to start with I'm focusing on making sure it has all the culture and hammer buildings first. Once it's got so many hammers that a library is trivial, then it will get a library. But it won't get a university until it has more production to make the time of university production be trivial.

This is just an example where I am not fully focused on science production across the board (sometimes you have to be if you get caught behind the curve or need to reach a tech before someone else).

If tech ratio is different from production ratio, it would explain, why a lot of people enjoy playing epic more. And why its easier to win with epic than with standard speed.
Your simply able to create more buildings before the next tech come and can create more units, to go for war.
I'm looking forward to the horrified faces of players who are just used to Epic. :lol:

I'll be honest, I've pretty much only ever played Civ at Epic speed, so I'm curious to see how the game feels now that the technology and golden age costs have been corrected. Most Epic games I've played ended in the late Modern/Early Atomic Era due to myself or another Civ winning via Culture, and the incorrect tech speed could explain why it felt like sure a drag making it to the Information Era to unlock Science and Diplomatic victories. Having said that, on Emperor the AI and myself tend to make it to the Industrial Era by the 1600s so I'll probably end up tweeking the tech costs upwards to slow down the tech rate again. It really irks me when the in-game calendar date differs from the approximate era dates from our reality. *shrugs*

It really irks me when the in-game calendar date differs from the approximate era dates from our reality. *shrugs*

When I'm researching the internet in the 18th century, I just take it as affirmation that I'm way better at running a civilisation than all those silly ancient rulers were.

I'll be honest, I've pretty much only ever played Civ at Epic speed, so I'm curious to see how the game feels now that the technology and golden age costs have been corrected. Most Epic games I've played ended in the late Modern/Early Atomic Era due to myself or another Civ winning via Culture, and the incorrect tech speed could explain why it felt like sure a drag making it to the Information Era to unlock Science and Diplomatic victories. Having said that, on Emperor the AI and myself tend to make it to the Industrial Era by the 1600s so I'll probably end up tweeking the tech costs upwards to slow down the tech rate again. It really irks me when the in-game calendar date differs from the approximate era dates from our reality. *shrugs*
Really? Your only problem is the date in the corner?
I think your simply much more afraid of facing the same normal problems every standard player is facing, not having enough hammers to produce things in time.
Give it a try and try to win the game in REAL pace.

I don't really have a problem with not building every building in every city. I already focus my building selection so that my cities are getting only what they need most, or what fits their specialization (guild cities and the like). I've only ever run out of buildings to build when I play Progress and snowball in the mid-game. Then in the late game it does become a wait for the next tech to unlock new buildings, otherwise I'm running processes (culture/science/etc) for a few turns, but that was only in extreme cases. I've upped my difficulty since then in order to experience closer games with the AI, but the more you up the difficulty the faster the AI advances in tech and policies. I've observed too many Deity games where the AI reaches Industrial Era by the 1400s and that truly does irk me because I prefer to play Civ as a alternate history game rather than a brutal rush for victory. To each their own, though. I'm not going to yuck anybody's yums, but I prefer when the rate of technological progress at least somewhat mirrors our reality, and since tech rate doesn't scale with difficulty I choose to manually increase tech costs when playing at higher difficulties.

In which release that was fixed and how? I actually like Epic building to tech ratio and am now concerned.

IMO epic is best because at lower speeds you can't deploy soldiers anywhere remotely far without them being outdated on arrival. And game paces don't do anything to unit speed.

Also I just like to savor each new tech.

8 day ago, changing

UPDATE GameSpeeds SET ResearchPercent = 200 WHERE Type = 'GAMESPEED_EPIC';
to
UPDATE GameSpeeds SET ResearchPercent = 150 WHERE Type = 'GAMESPEED_EPIC';
in TechCostChanges.sql

(and before it was 225, 250,200, first change is from 2 year ago)

Top Bottom