Star Wars: Return of the Mod

Well since you all said I could help, I'm going to throw my nerdiness into the mix.

starwarscrazy said:
1. Is it possible to have a single tech tree and each civ recieving units that the others can't build

or??

must there be a separate tech tree for each civilization to prevent them from using each others' units. its really impossible to go forward from era 1 (where everything is basically the same) towards eras 2-4 (where each civ has their own unit lines) without deciding this.

Why would you create seperate tech trees for each civ? That would get very messy very fast. Just make it so that some units are specific to each civ. Unique units.

4. Has anyone given thought to governments? heres my ideas:
  • Anarchy (same as civ)
  • National Sovereignty (like how the world is today, many nations, like despotism, early gov't to just grow out of with tech)
  • Home Planetary Rule (One-World Govt, high corruption farther from capital planet, like monarchy, during expansion or for Naboo-like civs)
  • Galactic Republic (Unit Costs = HIGH, otherwise like republic, for Republic)
  • New Republic (basically democracy, okay unit costs, for Rebellion)
  • Galactic Empire (Units free, communist-like corruption but otherwise facist, for Empire
  • Galactic Enterprise (Units free, communist-like corruption, better commercial benefits, for CIS)

Sounds good, except for the last two. Needs some tweaking...

• Nat Sov: good as is.
  • Home Plantary Rule: good, except change the name? lol. I don't know if I want to play as vader and see "Galactic Empire - Home Plantary Rule" :lol:
  • Galactic Repulic: basically republic.
  • New Republic: basically dem
  • Empire: should be fascism/feudalism set up. There's not much anywhere near communism in Star Wars. Lucas is more deffinetly a capitalist.
  • CIS gov: Name also could use work. Trade Federation? should be exactly how empire ends up being set up, except it gains commerce bonus and loses some unit support. Neither the empire nor the CIS should have free units. That'd just be wayyyyy too much power. lol, how is the rebellion supposed to win if the empire doesn't have to pay for it's millions of units? :crazyeye:
Also consider another gov: "Galactic Alliance"
high military support plus economic bonus, the government everyone strides for. (If you haven't heard of it look up the New Jedi Order series)

also, does anyone have suggestions as to how i can make the era 1 tech tree more . . . relating to star wars as opposed to just general early space exploration?

Hmm... personally I would see about stealing some info from the Galatic Battlegrounds games, and from the Star Wars Essential Chronology book. There's alot of info out there on pre-republic star wars history, you just have to find it.

Also if you guys need help with the map, here's the "galactic" map thats in the New Jedi Order books.

Ok, AlCosta, if you think you can make a good Star Wars galaxy, go ahead. But if you think you can make a better player experience with your own map, by all means do so. Just keep the solar system thing as a priority, and don't put them too close, just a few squares of ocean between, :).

wolf brother, some good ideas there. Maybe "Planetary Republics" or "Planetary Rule"?

SWC, I have the New Essential Chronology, and have read a bunch of info on the Star Wars "universe" so-to-speak at Wookiepedia, and the first era tech tree I did (which I assume you based yours on, :)) is pretty much as how canon shows the Pre-Republic era, so that's pretty close to what can be defined as "Star Warsy", :lol:.

Everyone, I'm doing some work with the terrain, and have some ideas, any feedback would be appreciated:

* Mines and irrigation would be "industrialization" and "urbanization", respectively. I would need graphics to represent these. The industrialized area would be like The Works (Coruscant's industrial area) and the urbanized areas should be like Coruscant's skyscraper, reidenial and perhaps the entertainment districts. Perhaps, if someone was determined enough, we could use different planet styled urbanized areas for different climate planets (Mygeeto buildings for instance). We could use GB cuts for these, maybe.
* LM hills could be changed (using Rhye's underworld terrain) to ashen plains to represent Mustafar style planets, and I'm changing volcanoes to look black to blend with that style, :).

Okay, I'll make one of each. I'm assuming you want the size to be large, but not too big.

Thanks polyphemus for the pics. I'll get some previews with the first pic to see how it looks, and post them here.

Stormrage, :lol: that picture of Hello Vader was great.

@AlCosta-
man i love my foresight:cool:
heres a map of the star wars galaxy, which would probably be useful since it gives an idea of each planet's terrain. its pretty big and takes awhile to load, which is why i linked it instead of having a preview or whatever. you dont have to stick to this map, seeing as not nearly all of the star wars planets are listed in it you could just invent some here and there. and regarding the map size, personally i would like to see a huge star wars galaxy map.

@wolf_brother-
whoops. when i said "units free" i didnt mean like all of the units were for free, i mean that a certain amount of them would be free.

regarding the names . . well i was as creative as i could be.
what i mean by "home planetary rule" is not just a one-world government, but also a world that rules over others. like if our planet was to become ruled by one ruler, and then colonize and incorporate other planets/moons, say Mars and Europa, then they would be ruled from the planet earth, as opposed to being independent planets.

but i agree that a more concise name for that government than Home Planetary Rule would be preferable.

the reason i selected communist corruption for the Galactic Enterprise and Galactic Empire was because, outside of the leaders (Palpatine, Dooku, Gunray, etc) themselves, there was very little corruption because the subordinates all feared for their lives should they disobey or show cowardice or . . . be corrupt? idk that might not have been very good reasoning.

i like galactic alliance better than new republic, just to keep the two republics separate. the new republic wasnt that much different from the old republic anyway, only in that it was less corrupt (due more to the people and personalities that led it rather than the bureaucracy itself, in my opinion)

how about for the CIS govt Galactic Confederation?
i think it follows the pattern of Galactic Republic, Galactic Alliance, Galactic Empire . . :lol:

@odin-
do you still have your first tech tree? i kinda based some of mine off what i remembered from yours, but i want to compare them and see if i missed anything important.
i also liked the bolding-names idea;)

@whoever cares-
finished era 1 tech tree, its attached as "era1tech2.doc"
the techs with (X) next to them are not necessary for advancement to next era, and all of the city improvements, small wonders, and wonders can be found on chris's list with the exception of one i thought would be cool to add.

the small wonder "Hyperspace Mapping" allows for ships to have a massive increase in movement (say +6 or the like) but without protection from sinking in 2nd or 3rd level space. this allows for the great hyperspace wars (if we decide to include ancient jedi cruisers and such) and space exploration with the risks of losing ships until hyperdrives are perfected at the end of the era.

speaking of which, at the very end of the era there is the tech "Hyperdrive" which, should we add great hyperspace war units, can be set to take a long time to research.

ill start working on the next era, any comments for this one?

Attachments

• Era 1 Tech2.doc
    36.5 KB · Views: 109
Hi! I'm new to these forums (not really, I've been broswing them for a while), and I just wanna say hi.

Okay, now on-topic. I think you're doing a great job! But there's only one concern for me... I don't have the Conquests expansion... :\ If you know where I could get it, or if you could make it playable on PTW (you probably won't, too much work) then just send me an e-mail. And a quick question, why does it need Conquests? Cause of volcanoes or what?

Thanks in advance. ;)

PS If you need it, I could help you make the mod... Not units though I could help with maps, find some good unit pics, and make a detailed off-game tech-tree (not in game). I could also help find pics for the techs.

It needs Conquests because we all have it, and the Editor is much more powerful.

BTW, the best way to get it is Amazon or eBay.

or you can go to compusa, best buy, or any store that caries comp software

Thanks guys.

Poly, I went to those places and didn't see Conquests... I go again and check, I'll tell you guys if I find it... :)

Thanks though.

I checked through the sites, didn't find Conquests, I found Vanilla for $6 (new)... Lol. I have PTW which was basically a scam. Kinda unfair that you have to get an expansion to play online. I got Gold though, so I didn't waste as much money.

I would also think of Complete, I don't think it's very expensive, and it's fully patched.

Yeah, but I already have Gold Edition, I'd be wasting money. If I didn't, I would already have it... :\ Thanks for the idea though.

doesnt ptw come with conquests as well, it did with my version...

AlCosta said:
No, Conquests comes with PTW.
Not normally.

I have both and both came as individual purchases. There was no copy of PTW with C3C. And, since PTW came much earlier, there was naturally no copy of the as yet unreleased C3C with PTW.

Last I checked, though. C3C and Complete were within a few $ of each other.
Those who don't have C3C and wish to enjoy Civ3 at its finest, should definately track down a copy and buy it (be it just C3C, C3C + PTW or Complete)

Bjornlo said:
Not normally.

I have both and both came as individual purchases. There was no copy of PTW with C3C. And, since PTW came much earlier, there was naturally no copy of the as yet unreleased C3C with PTW.

Yes, but if you bought Conquests (and not PTW), you still got PTW because it's on the Conquests disk.

That's not what I'm talking about. I got the Gold Edition, it came with Vanilla and PTW, before Conquests came out. And I need to get a copy of Conquests because I don't have one. Lol

Oh... Okay. Sorry. But you know how the guys making the Star Wars Mod are gonna make the air units act like they did in Civ 2, and 3? Does anyone know how to do that?

Top Bottom