1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Start Location Advice

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Ellerby, May 2, 2018.

1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

The start is mediocre but I don't think it's the worst. Certainly wouldn't reroill. The worst things about it are the lack of luxury, and that you are England (weak civ) but it has hills and a bit of food and that's just what anyone needs to win. The worst starts IMO are the ones that lack hills. I'd rather have low food and have unused tiles then to be able to work them all for no production.

I would settle SW next to the crab and research sailing and then mining; builder first. I'd look to the west for land and then it really depends on what you revealed next.

IMO Birmingham is not a good city. It's going to take forever to do anything as settling on the Mercury means no improvements and just +1 science. I You also didn't need to get that luxury that fast; mining is quick to get.. I would have settled it on that river spot above the Marble. Not only does it have better housing and food, it would also have allowed another city down on the southern coast.next to the amber. Especially with food poor starts AND low luxury starts like these, you really need to put down more cities closer together because you will not be able to take advantage of all the tiles for a long while if you try to space them out. If your land sucks you need to compensate it with infrastructure, and the only way to get more of the same districts is to have more cities.

And also your capital is rather unfortunate-- it's blocking any city placement near it.

I'd probably go for that spot near the crabs against the CS. There should only be one spot left there. It'll be able to share some of the capitals hills and it's got enough food to do so. I'd also look at what's near that barb scout to the west. That can fit one more city but not sure if it'll be any good.

As for the spot over there with the cotton. I wouldn't rush to it unless you meet someone else. That's going to be a slow city; I'd settle directly on the cotton below the warrior.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Interesting... lots of different views
    To me in place would be better than that because the crab will be the first tile expansion which happens fast for a capital. The main issue is just the lack of both food and production means a bad start and the river triangle to the left is too far.
    I think the best settle was done for building a nice large city and also getting the army out there fast. The lack of lux is a problem and there seems little value in pushing out a settler initially but would have probably done so for the river mouth to the east if I had found it.
    Getting an army and killing the CS is certainly the best option. Settling poor location cities just slows up your empire. I would be tempted to take my settler with my army for loyalty help.[/QUOTE]

3. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

I would've settled in place. Sailing boost would have made exploring early with galley and farming the plains will boost feudalism for even more food. The crab would enhance harbour placement.

4. Victoria

Yeah, I would have if it was not for the warrior move. Its just that I try not to restart games and know just how bad that coastal setting is, its certainly winnable but with a real slow start.

5. Archon_Wing

[/QUOTE]

I wish I knew how tile expansion actually worked. I was thinking to avoid those terrible tiles to the east and get those hills faster. Probably just use that with agoge to make more units and try to attack something, like that CS.

As played though since OP was settling without troops, I figured I might as well just go with it.

6. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

I would consider a slow start not settling for 4 turns. The wheat should provide enough growth to get a settler for the hill at the river mouth.

7. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

What's the seed?

8. Ellerby

Ellerby Chieftain

The seed?

9. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

The random seed to generate the game. Maybe irretrievable and wont work with different DLC anyway.

10. Ellerby

Ellerby Chieftain

You'll have to help me out with this buddy. Do you mean what settings did I choose to start the game? Or do I have a save of the initial start location? Or is there a file somewhere that you could maybe use to recreate this exact start location?

I'm trying my hardest to learn as quickly as possible but I'm a relative newby to Civ compared to some of the venerable folk here.

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Office Linebacker

Yeah, when you create a new game it should tell you the map seed at the bottom of the right settings pane. You might have to scroll down. I've found map generation and starting locations to be abysmal 9 times out of 10 since R&F.

eleven11 likes this.
  12. miaasma

miaasma Chieftain

that start looks abhorrent

the game throws some weird starts at you. tundra start with no river or coast, restart, then i get a river with like 4 unique luxuries around me

13. Victoria

That’s a fairly standard start for England, they really have a hard time with such starts

14. Archon_Wing

Hmm, for some reason nobody really wants to explain on how to do it as there aren't really any clear guides and the documentation is useless as ever. It's also quite a bit of effort. But basically, you want to open the game in multiplayer You'll need create the folder (call it "multi") though and move the save in.

Start a game with local Network

Once you load the save in the lobby, scroll down and you can find the map seeds. There's 2 numbers you'll need. The game random seed and map random seed

You'll also need the same amount of players as well as the leader you were playing (I don't think you have to pick the same exact AI leaders as I haven't had to, as well as the same map type and size.

Once you have all that info, you can test it by creating a regular single player game, and use advanced setup to enter all the required info. You can copy and paste the seed numbers in that box.

15. Ellerby

Ellerby Chieftain

That's amazing thank you so much.

Just to make sure I've understood this correctly.

First off I create a folder called multi in my saves folder.

Then any game I've started in single player the save file can be copied into this (multi) folder.

Following your instructions from this point on will give me access to the map and game seeds?

Which I could give to someone to recreate my exact game conditions? In single player?

Whilst I appreciate this info, wouldn't it just be easier for me to create a save as soon as a game loads up to give to anyone that fancied having a go at a particular start. (Like the one in this thread for example)

Also this all sounds incredibly convoluted, don't understand why these numbers aren't readily available at the click of a button from the options/settings menu in game.

It would be nice if you could just grab these numbers in a couple of seconds and give them to someone to have a bash at with any Civ they liked.

But you're saying that even if I did give someone these numbers they'd have to start the game as the same Civ that I used, correct?

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  16. Archon_Wing

Not everyone uses the same mods/dlcs; they can't open your file. Plus giving the seed lets you change difficulties.

17. Ellerby

Ellerby Chieftain

Ahh right. Thanks for helping me understand how this works mate.

18. Bro

Bro Chieftain

I'd move my warrior to that coastal plain hills to see if there was any sea resources nearby. If there was, I'd move the settler to that same tile and go with a harbour first. You'd get a 2/2 tile for your capital and 2 x 2/2 tiles and 1/3 tile right next to it. Good place for an Industrial District.

19. Ellerby

Ellerby Chieftain

The input on this thread had been fantastic. It's been proper interesting hearing how you would all approach this start.

I might do this more often.

20. NukeAJS

NukeAJS Chieftain

London was settled in probably the best place realistically available. Obviously settling on the flood plain just north of the sugar is the best place, but there's no way you could have known that without taking a serious gamble and not settling for 5-7 turns.

I would have delayed settling Birmingham and settled the flood plain instead. It actually can be a decent city once feudalism is discovered because you have a lot of open-plains; however, I would have settled one tile north on that hill for the extra production, not on the mercury for the extra science. Also, the crab would be in the first ring. Furthermore, once the city has spread out a bit, you'll get the flood plain tiles which will give you some nice food tiles.

Also, you should have bought your second worker already. I'd buy him in London, improve the wheat, then move to Birmingham where the city will hopefully have picked up one of the resource in the second ring via culture. Buy an additional tile (should be 7 turns later so you should have the gold) in the second ring. Ideally that would be the amber and crab for the eureka (you already have the masonry eureka) and decent 2F tiles