1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a Civ4 PBEM Group

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PBEM Games' started by bkelly1984, Oct 25, 2005.

1. cass1010

cass1010 Chieftain

I've played through the alarm 3 nights in a row now. Just one more turn...

2. Danheg

Danheg Warlord

lol. I have known that feeling too though not on this game but when EQ first put their version on it. I just want to beat up one more orc. (with my dwarf paladin).

3. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami Warlord

Aloha!
    Yup sign me up - playing a PBEM w/ a friend already - as soon as you click end turn it asks if you want to email the game - it then emails and then saves the game.

I haven't played Civ 3 in awhile but been looking and playing civ 4 - no expert here, but willing to give it a go :)

Email me if you want to set things up and I can start another thread for getting a game together. (Bane@thefold.org)

PBEM Thread Located:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=135458
    My basic belief is that this is a game and it is played for fun :king:

4. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

I'm in. I've never played PBEM before, and it looks like a good idea, but there is one big problem - the re-load issue. Let say it's somebody else's turn, and they attack my unit with theirs. Even though the odds are 10:1 for my win, they can keep trying and reloading the game, until they win, save the game, and move on. How do you get around that issue?

5. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami Warlord

Aloha
    My guess is that the players turn gets resolved when the next person opens their email -- turn then runs for the previous player.

Just a guess though, but that is my exp w/ other games PBEMs.

6. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

JT - Nice idea, but I don't think that would be a case here - the battles would have to be resolved during your turn. Here's an example. Let's say your opponent has an archer unit on a road - you attack that archer with your unit and destroy it. You then proceed to move your horsemen unit through that square that's empty. This would create problems if the result of the original battle was being resolved at the next person's turn.

I just went through some posts above, and it looks like the PITboss would be the answer to this, but sadly it won't be out till the end of this year...

7. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami Warlord

Aloha,
    I see what your saying -- I tried an experiment and assigned my email address and STMP to a game set for 2 players.

When I 'clicked end of turn' it would email the game as an attachment then save the game on my HD.

So you really don't know the results as they are sent first then saved.

For people that do not input their email/stmp info, then yes exploits can happen as you are sending the raw file manually, and not as part of an automatic process.

8. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

Do you think there is any way of making the automatic process mandatory?

9. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami Warlord

Aloha,
    I think the coordinator for the PBEM should decide that when they set the game up - possibly creating a thread in this forum w/ game specifc info on what to do to play in that PBEM

10. Papi_Chulo

Papi_Chulo Chieftain

After reviewing thru the messages, count me in. It's hard finding a group willing to play a PBEM especially those that work during the day. Bbkelly1984.. whenever you're ready.. let me know on how to join. :)

11. Stujmaker

Stujmaker Chieftain

Count me in as well. With my work schedule I stay busy, but able to check my email atleast twice a days.

I have resources to help form this PBEM group. I have my own domain and I rent a server to run it. I'm able to have and create up to 400 email addresses with my server. So...

For example, if we get 7 people wanting to play a match. I would create 7 email addresses. I would give those email addresses, passwords, and smtp information to the 7 players. Then I would give the same information except the passwords to the game master which creates the match. All you would have to do is add the email account to a program like Outlook and check your mail. Then double click on the file that you receive for your turn.

Its been tested out already and works great. Its quite simple. Let me know if you need my help. www.jscarpenter.net

12. godmstr

godmstr Chieftain

i would love to join a plem game, if there is one starting me up i would be very interested in joining

13. Morton

Morton Chieftain

I would be extremely interested in joining a PBEM game. I'm not fussed about the format or number of players as I've never played one before so I have no preference. Send me a mail with the details next time a game is starting.

14. Stujmaker

Stujmaker Chieftain

I'm going to be starting PBEM games. Their will be games of 5 and 7. Once I get 5 or 7 together. Email me and tell me you are interested. You can also visit www.jscarpenter.net for more information. I hope to start a game as soon as possible.

You can use your own email address for the game. Web based email don't work. You have to have access to your smtp server for your email. I have decided to make email addresses for each player and use my smtp server to run the PBEM matches if you need one.

We will start the matches as soon as we get the players.

15. Daze

Daze Chieftain

Hi Stujmaker,
    using your server sounds like a great idea, I'll join a game once I get the game (released on Friday here),
    Pat

16. Tumbler

Tumbler Chieftain