State of the Mod: Mods

Enginseer

Salientia of the Community Patch
Supporter
It has been almost two years since the Mod Repository was made, yet with slow and steady progress we have made strong advancement in modding the Vox Populi itself as we begin to distinguish itself as a separate player-made expansion pack.

Today, modding has entered a great era. An era of magnificence development. As history dictates, there were only a few mods left to a niche group of players that left a majority of the player-base feel empty and left out. Nowadays, our modding has expanded beyond our reach and needs that we now face the problem of the bureaucracy that now stains our mods.

Among these are the six issues I will be addressing: visibility, documentation, quality, versions, compatibility, and polarization.

Visibility has been one of the most important issue concerning modding Vox Populi. Some people sort to their own personal version of the mod that could somehow address bugfixes and suggestions and could possibly be implemented into the mod itself in the future if deemed so.

Documentation seems to be one of the outlier in many of our mods as some mods do not heavily as document their features leading to headaches to if a bug arise then to where the query should lead to. I'm calling for a general documentation standard of what the mod is modding/adding to Vox Populi to help the player base overall.

Quality has been one of the most important characteristics of Vox Populi mods and it is prudent that we maintain a mod that looks to the interest of the AI and balance whenever possible. If balance nor the AI is not in these interest, then these mods are niche to a different group rather than to the general populace.

Unlike the Brave New World, Vox Populi will continue to be a machine that continues to refine itself and process itself. It is critical that we address these in our mods about the upcoming new features and what we can do about the changes in Vox Populi. As such I would like to impose a general standard of up-to-date mods, that new players who wish to enter into the mods of Vox Populi can understand which versions seem obsolete and outdated to the present version.

Compatibility was always the Vox Populi's main purpose that we the players have an immersive game of Civ 5 and that we are able to enjoy the full capacity of what the modding community can offer. As such modders of Vox Populi must consider that we make the mods to the best compatibility as possible with all our other mods. I would like to thank the modders that have made non-Vox Populi civilizations and mods compatible with Vox Populi for all their efforts and works.

Although polarization has never been seen before in our community in the past years, this deserves a footnote in the mod here as our community might see the beginning of fragmentation among player's support for a certain player's decision. We should observe further more as this concept continue to grow or decay.

And that is all. I extend my gratitude to those reading this to take into consideration for the future of Vox Populi.

Top Bottom