State of the union - newspapers and polls

timberwolf4545

Chieftain
The various "F" screens in Civ III give you a decent degree of knowledge about what is going on in your society - how many units you have, what's being produced, etc. But these are all control screens. The overall "feel" of your society is hard to grasp. I would like to see a screen that gives you this 10,000 perspective in maybe a real language newspaper format. The game could look at the details of your society and string together natural language sentences that you could easily relate to. Example.

If you have had a city which has shown increased happiness over time due to the continued building of cultural landmarks and has a population mostly of farmers, but lacking an science, it could read something like this: Philadelphia is experiencing continued happiness with the construction of a Temple in 160 AD followed by a Cathedral in 375 AD. It's population of hardy earth tillers are generally content individuals, but long for the opportunities that a library could offer them. This could be done at the city level, but also on the civ as a whole. It could of course take into account wars, wonders, disasters, etc.

This screen could also show top level poll data (which should change as the eras progress) which would show things like your people's opinion of neighboring civs, war weariness, opinion of build decisions, what they feel about research decisions, etc, approval rating, etc.

is ammusing, but i dont think it should be a priority, besides, you are the head of your civ, you dont need news papers, you do just go and look at fact sheets(assuption)

I guess I just want better facts sheets that give you motivations for why your people are unhappy, why your neighbors are furious with you etc. The game just tells you those things now without giving any motivation or suggesting a any remedies.

Maybe you can load your own Sim in Civ4 to inform you how people feel about you and your government? But for real: I think the advisors are clear enough and clicking at unhappy people in your cities gives some info too. Maybe a tad bit more info won't harm.

searcheagle said:
The game only gives 2 reasons why people are upset: war against their homeland and overcrowding. Its too hard to do anything about either.

You've obviously never been to war as a Democracy, there's war weariness too.

A newspaper interface when clicking on cities would be a nice touch. Make it a little easier to glean city specific attitudes/wants/needs by right clicking and selecting "Local Papers" than by going to the F1 screen and trying to guess by the advisor comments what is needed.

What you need is a more fluid means of data compliation:

Advisors streamline data for you thus giving you a 'big picture,' without you having to be checking and comparing data every turn--which gives an advanatage to micromanagers BTW.

Would really make things easier for newbies as well, so it's a clear selling point.

Top Bottom