Steam workshop and modinfo references

TheRealHellBlazer

Chieftain
OK, so I have some mods on the steam workshop and one of them has a reference to another mod.

For those that don't know a reference means if both mods are enabled the referenced mod will load first.

I did this as the mod with the reference makes changes to the same files and the referenced mod and needs to load after it (replacing the files from the referenced mod).

However, the game seems to ignore this reference and load the referenced mod AFTER the mod with the reference in it.

It seems OK if people subscribe to the referenced mod, run the game so it installs, then subscribe to the mod with the reference and run the game again.

I notice this changes the order of the mods in the workshop/content folder to the order in which they load.

So it seems the game ignores the Reference part in the modinfo file. I have done all the checks, it is the right mod id and name. But it means I am getting a lot of people complain about mods not working as intended.

Has anyone else had any issues with this. I do have a mod with a dependency, which works fine, seems the issue is with references.

When the game was released nothing was working, since the Winter's patch Dependencies can be used, but from your post I guess References (and Blocks ?) are still not implemented.

So see this thread for loading order: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mod-component-file-load-order-as-of-winter-patch.608496/

Thank you so much for that, will see if I can get it going correctly. This probably explains why the ModBuddy section for setting up dependencies, references and blocks fails to work in anyway at all.

Also can I just say you are one of my modding hero's, played a LOT of games in Civ 5 with mods by you. Fantastic work.

However, the game seems to ignore this reference and load the referenced mod AFTER the mod with the reference in i
How do you put references into modinfo, manually or via ModBuddy? Because for me, ModBuddy doesn't work here - there are no references put into .modinfo, I have to add them manually.

Yea HB, I would just do it through load order commands. You can put a <LoadOrder> command on the entire mod, or on individual components of the mod, and either one will work across different mods.

Top Bottom