[GS] Storytime - Holy War

I had a fun time last night and an epic tale ensued.

Frederick Barbarosa, medium map, 7 seas. I had a good setup with about six cities and my neighbors were all far enough away that I got an easy start with lots of good land. Everyone had been friendly and there had not been a single war.

I was cranking for a Prophet, which can be a gamble for Civs that don't have early spirituality bonuses. I got the last prophet and founded the cult of The Lion in Magdeburg, not far from the border of Poland on my eastern frontier. I began building more Holy Sites and a couple of wonders. We exalted in worshipping our savior, The Lion, and saw the radiant face of the sun itself reflected in his golden mane

Jadwiga was on my Eastern border ruling a kingdom smaller than mine, but not by much. Without warning, she sent an army of Catholic missionaries into my lands and before I knew it, my Holy City was converted and soon the rest of my Kingdom fell under the sway of the Pope. I didn't have temples yet, so I couldn't really fight this wave of evangelism.

An international emergency was declared and the world cried out at this injustice. Sadly, though many nations vowed their support, no help actually came and the world of The Lion was plunged into the darkness of Catholicism. The global emergency action had failed. The shadow of the cross fell upon my people. The spiritual future of Germany looked bleak.

But Jadwiga made one critical mistake. The Lion Cult was eradicated from all of my cities. Except one. Far to the west on the border of Nubia was the small village of Trier where The Lion was still worshipped and the faithful held strong to the old ways. The Catholic missionaries never came to this village and perhaps they did not even know it existed. I asked the people of Trier to build a Holy Site in their village. They went to work with great fervor and I patiently bided my time.

At this point, I had a lot of religious infrastructure in my cities so my Spirituality points were rolling in (95 per turn). I just had no Holy Site dedicated to the Lion. About 45 turns later, that changed when the villagers erected a Temple in Trier.

In short order, a vengeful Holy host of six Apostles, all Proselytizers, issued forth from Trier to flood the kingdom with the glory of The Lion and remind them of their true heritage. The entire land was converted quickly and my apostles marched on the Catholic holy city of Krakow. An official dispatch from Jadwiga's court arrived in Aachen with demands that we cease our religious zealotry in Polish lands. My advisors researched the Polish words for "Suck it!" and our messenger was dispatched with our reply.

Krakow was quickly converted to The Lion and Poland called for a new global emergency to free it. The world vowed to free Krakow of the glorious Lion and return it to the tyranny of Catholicism. But the promises of the world are fickle and the people of the Lion recalled Jadviga's smirk when no one had come to their aid. They watched in satisfaction now when no one came to Jadwigas aid and all of her hopes and dreams turned to ashes in her mouth. A short time later, the scourge of Catholicism was all but wiped from the face of the earth; it's rituals performed only in a few remote city states.

The golden face of The Lion, meanwhile, continued to spread to all of the people of the world.

Last edited:
My first play trough on GS, huge continents map. I picked Norway, early on it was a race for religious victory with myself and unknown empires. I managed to get the second prophet, and found the religion paganism (haha) following the ways of the allfather odin. With my Viking long boats I managed to discover a lot of the world before my competitors. Discovering England, Japan, china, Persia, Aztecs, the Greek empire and Scotland. As well as a couple of city states. One in particular was Buenos Aires. Somehow this small little kingdom had a weaker but much larger navy than myself. They quickly scoured the entire planet for me in the name of paganism.

With my religion covering all of Greece, Persia, Norway, I now set my site on protestant England. With a fleet of longboats across a good sized ocean clearing the way of pirates for our mercenary army from preslav. With a barbarian army attacking to the north and our mercenary army flooding the beaches of London, England was quickly pillaged and raided and even the founding site of protestantism was burned.

Taking the English capital of London as a fitting prize we quickly began the process of weeding out the protestants and spreading the teaching of Odin to the continent.

As the largest religion in the world with over half the cities following it. Things have been calm since the medieval era but new religious tensions are arriving with the new offensive of Eastern Orthodox from Georgia.

But that’s another story.

First post hope y’all enjoy

Top Bottom