"Stream servers are too busy to handle your request..."

I was NC

Chieftain
The unusual request being to PLAY THE GAME FOR WHICH I PAID THEM GOOD MONEY! Once again the only consequence of Steam, for me, is to prevent access to Civ.

Yes, yes, you get a lot out it. Great. I don't. The mods, achievements, cloud storage, etc. are not of use to me. What I want to do is play the game. But I can't. Because Steam is too busy.

:mad::mad::mad:

I'm connected to the Internet and was up and running in offline mode a few hours ago. In the meantime I had to shut down. Apparently turning back on is when Steam hijacks your computer to show ads or whatever.

I really miss the days when games where on CDs. Yes, I'm that old. The crankiness may have given it away.

Why does Steam show you ads? It doesn't do that to me. Are we talking about the same software?

I get the advertisements too - usually only after restarting my computer. Computer starts up then a Steam pop up logs me into my Steam account. Once I am logged into my Steam account, it gives me another pop up with "Special Deals" for the day. I find it very annoying.

Steam -> Settings -> Interface -> Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases.

Took nearly 15 seconds to find and disable.

Steam -> Settings -> Interface -> Notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases.

Took nearly 15 seconds to find and disable.

Why would I try and find a solution to my inconvenience when I can make a big whiny post on the internet using those 15 seconds instead?

I couldn't play Civilization V on Steam this one time, I miss CDs because they were convenient and better! Until they straight-up didn't run for some mystic computer moon reason. Or your cd drive has some sort of mechanical failure, get ready to replace that sucker. Or they got scratched and you were plain ol' S.O.L. Or you ran out of activations since you got a new computer. Or you LOST the CD key. Or the CD itself. Or __________

CDs WERE convenient and better actually, how often did your CDs or CD drive stop working? Once every few years, not to mention that CD drives are practically free and burning software allows you to back up all your CDs at your own convenience for next to nothing. Add to that a CD pouch that holds 50 CDs for the price of about $10 and you can keep all your games for life (compatibility depending). CD games didn't (in the time I played them anyways) require activation codes that only gave you limited uses. And CD keys could just be scribbled onto the burned CD backups. Moderator Action: <snip>
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889 Go live in a 3rd world country and tell me Steam is awesome...

Moderator Action: Please stop the flaming and trolling. Focus your post on the subject of the thread, not on another member. You post has been modified.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Go live in a 3rd world country and tell me Steam is awesome...

Hm yes things that need infrastructure don't work so well if you live in places with infrastructure problems. Well done, yes, bravo. Go live somewhere without electricity and tell me CDs are awesome.

Moderator Action: Please report posts that annoy you and let Staff handle it, do not respond to them. This is trolling as well.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I'm from Cape Town, before I moved to SE Asia I had 386K internet with a 3GB cap, these days I can play D:OS (8GB+ download) with no worries, but my friends back home wouldn't dream about it, it would take them 2-3 months to download. So before you go ragging on how great Steam is why don't you think of the 30% of the world that suffers from it?

I just had this. I am always in offline mode (for some silly reason my son and I share the same steam account, although use different games).

I was prevented from using the game I had bought, quite simply. Everything I tried from the interwebs failed, expect one final hack where I deleted a certain file in the game directory, basically forcing a re-install, although no actual files were updated.

It is not simple to fix, it is a massive PITA, and yes, it is massively worse than having a game on CD when it does this to you. I am computer literate, but it took me an hour to fix. I suspect most would have failed to fix it.

I just got the message, too. In my case, resolving it involved confirming to Steam that the e-mail they had for me was the proper one.

I do miss the days when one bought a game and owned the game. Since I have to have Steam, I will grudgingly concede that it has been a convenient way to install all the patches over Civ V's run. Otherwise, I haven't gotten anything out of it, and it has on occasion frustratingly blocked playing until one thing or another could be resolved.

I purchased my copy of Civ V through the Apple Store, and sometimes it's been in a pain in the butt. Every time I launch the game, it connects to the Apple Store server to verify something or other. If that server is down, I can't play the game. Instead I get the error message that I'm running an illegal copy, which is nonsense.

If that server ever goes down for an extended period of time, I can't play the game.

Servers were running normally yesterday, I have no idea why servers aren't running like that again today.. There's more people logged in on Sunday evenings than in Monday mornings because everyone is usually at work/school and stuff.

Top Bottom