stupid stuff in civ 3

kdog316

Chieftain
ok i am not here to rag on civ 3 cause i love the game but i just want to know like what you think is dumb in the civ3 game and i got one for you guys.

it is dumb how a warrior yes a warrior can defeat a mech infintry tank i mean come on in real life it would have no chance and theres other things like a a 2 life rifle man killing a tank now that is just gay.

In China, one unarmed man stopped a tank. Don't know whether he was gay, though.

Beautiful as poetry, but the tank simply didn't want to crush him. If it did, I think the outcome would have been different.

"In China, one unarmed man stopped a tank."

I'd like to know how he pulled that off (not to say that I don't believe you).

It is wonderful, though, how a submarine can be destroyed by an ironclad (of course, this was version 1.07f, and they have improved the submarine's attack now).

libertairian was that in real life or the game cause were talking about the game :) and that is what i am talking about seven

but hey at least civ3 knows that an archer cant take out a mech tank thank god.:goodjob:

ps-libertarian ok i got ya but please stick to the subject :)

I don't mean any disrespect, but to me it is unnerving that some people have no idea of the episode Libertarian writes. How soon history and events are forgotten. During the Tienanum (spelling ?) square episode one man stood in front of at least one tank and would not let them pass (unless they would have ran over him). Quite a famous picture/ statement in the 80s.

kdog316, there are many threads already written about this, and you are free to start another. There are several points of view on this. Many take each unit to be as it says (ie a tank is a tank, a spearman is a spearman). If this is your view, I agree it does look strange.

Others however take the units to be purely mathematical (an attack of one point is an attack of one point with a different graphic attached to it). Others including myself rationlize this by thinking of the spearman as ill trained or ill outfitted tropps using some modern day weapons (Think of spearmen as Somalian warriors or the Viet Cong).

libertarian ok i got ya but please stick to the subject

With all due respect, I thought your point was that one rifleman stopping a tank is not realistic, and is therefore "stupid stuff" (assuming you meant "gay" as a pejorative term).

I merely provided a counterexample. Thus, you are mistaken. [...shrug...] Or gay.

Oops, double post.

If it helps it go down better, think of a spearman beating a tank as a thousand guys with spears overrunning the tank unit while they're bivouaced for the night, standing in the chow line, and all their tanks are shut down, having maintenance performed. :) A company of tanks is not sitting, engines running, locked and loaded for combat 100% of the time, sorry to say. Tanks are maintenance-hungry beasts, even under (especially under) combat conditions. I have crewed the Abrams, I know what I'm talking about.

Tracks need tightening, greasepoints need lubricating, weapons need cleaning, fluids need topping off, and on modern tanks, the most tedious, and necessary chore of all, pulling out the engine air filters (called V-packs) and cleaning them. This requires shutting the tank down, removing the rear deck armor to gain access to the engine, allowing the engine to cool so you can get in there (turbines get hot hot HOT), and pull the V-packs. A turbine engine sucks in about 1500 cubic feet of air per minute, and that collects a LOT of dust and grit. So during this necessary procedure, which should be performed once a day, even more often under dusty conditions, a tank is completely vulnerable.

So think of those longbowmen gacking off your crippled tanks as having them hit the armor unit unawares during maintenance after battle, and killing the soldiers, then sabotaging the actual tanks.

very informative Psychlone. and yeah thats a good way of thinking about it.

then theres this concept,
yeah, so the Texans lost to the Mexicans in a battle
but they wiped out a few thousand, loosing their hundred or so.

i'm not gay libertarian and i guess i was mistakened or something and i had no idea there were other topics like this and laso i am a newb to the whole civ thing i just got civ3 4 days ago

Originally posted by Psychlone
I have crewed the Abrams, I know what I'm talking about.

That's rad :) I used to play a Microprose tank sim called M1A1 Abrams (i *think*) and used to dream of actually being a member of a crew. Out of curiousity, what was your position?

Hey, didn't the U.S wage war against Canada and lose?? Bizzare...:confused:

I think it's important to note that the Tanks won in the end. No one knows how many students/civilians were killed, but conservatives estimates at the time were around 1,000 as I recall.

Hey, didn't the U.S wage war against Canada and lose?? Bizzare...

Actually, it was more of a draw. The "war" in the San Juan Islands (ironically about as far from San Juan as you can get in the U.S.) was started over ownership of a wayward pig, and ended without a shot being fired.

Submarines: submersible patrol boats that usually travelled on the surface. Even during attacks at night they often did NOT submerge: wolfpacks usually went after convoys on the surface in those night attacks getting in between the convoy ships.

More modern submarines are really FULLY SUBMERSIBLE undersea craft that never surface except when retruning to port.

The differences between submarines pre-1950's and those built during that decade should be reflected in Civ III.

Top Bottom