Success with new civs/leaders, crash with third

Mattygerst

Prince
Last night and this afternoon, I successfully added two new civs and two new leaders. The game loads and works properly with these new leaders (everything from text to artwork is correct).

Then I added a third new civilization and corresponding leader. I followed the exact same steps as I did for the first two. When I load the game, I get zero XML errors. When I click on "Play Now," I find my three new civs. Everything seems correct...all text and artwork is correct.

However; when I load a game with my newest civ, the game crashes on set up (never gets past the "initializing" stage). I get zero errors...just a crash to desktop. That seems like it is likely some sort of graphic error. However, the graphics all show up in the "Play Now" screen as well as the civilopedia.

What gives? How can I figure out what about my third civ/leader is making the game crash? I copied the same steps (essentially just kept copying my first civ, which worked properly). The second one also works properly.

Pulling my hair out trying to figure this out because I thought I had this down : /

I'd truly appreciate some advice...

Why do you open 5 threads on the same subject?

Why do you send me private messages that I will not answer?

Why don't you answer questions and expect others to answer yours?

To be a bit more constructive: of course you did something wrong with your 3rd civ/leader. You don't give any details. How do you expect us to guess what you did wrong?

To be fair; I don't believe I've been asked any questions? I open a new thread because it is a separate issue when compared with previous ones.

At first, I was attempting to merge MMod with CivGold. I determined this was not ideal for what I wanted to accomplish.

Now, I am adding my own civs / leaders with static 2D leaderheads whereas previous problems in the other threads had to do with not understanding where to put art or the specific steps of completing this.

This time, my problem seems to be an entirely different one that I have not experienced, yet. After creating the first two civs, everything worked fine. After adding the third civ, everything works fine until the game attempts to load a new game with my new civ/leader selected to play with....and then crashes to desktop.

Of course I did something wrong, but, I get zero prompts as to what I did wrong in the game. It seems odd because I copied the same work that I had already completed (and which works), yet this time it crashes. I have no reference to find out why the game is crashing. That is why I am asking how can I figure out why the new civ is making the game crash on startup despite following the same steps for what has already worked previously.

Lastly, the reason I sent a private message (which is the same as my above post), is because how am I to know that you will see this thread? You have been helpful previously....of course I am going to seek your counsel because you are much more knowledgeable than I am. I have no idea that you won't answer a private message.

With regard to details, I provided as much as I have. I added two new civs and leaders. The game works properly. I did the same thing and added a third new civ and leader. This time, the game crashes to desktop when I attempt to start a new game using my new civ / leader.

Matt

1) Five (5) threads opened. That is bugging me off.

2) PMs are for private use OR for friends.

3) You didn't answer questions in previous threads (whether by me or by somebody else).

4) Still, nothing is there that could help us to help you.

You say: "Still, nothing is there that could help us to help you."

I said, in the original post:

"How can I figure out what about my third civ/leader is making the game crash?"

As in....what can I do to provide myself (or you) with information about what is happening. My modding skills are obviously rudimentary. Which is why I am asking 'what' can I do to figure out the issue? I don't know what steps I am supposed to take to provide myself with information with regard to the game crashing. Especially when I have already completed this two times (with no issues) previously.

With regard to questions:
I have been asked questions by TrentonC, Leoreth, and Afforess. I responded to each at the time they asked. Furthermore, when I discovered an issue, I posted the solution to my issue in case another person runs across it wondering the same thing I did. You also asked me a question; however, since the time you asked your specific question - I did not continue on the same path I was on to be able to answer your question. Instead, I started down a new path... which lead to... different threads for different issues. If someone is searching the site for an issue, they are more apt to read a thread regarding a specific issue rather than reading one issue and hoping it leads to a different one.

PMs are for private use and also for expediency. How was I to know whether you would ever check this forum, again? For all I know, it was in my best interest to PM you and hope to direct your attention to this thread. Your attempted insults are neither warranted, nor appropriate. I have not, once, berated you or anyone else on this site in over 7 years.

Update:

Per the advice of Sparth (thank you), I re-did the steps for my third civ and leader (again). Upon doing so, I created a new art image for the flag and buttons. I then added them one by one and tested each. Now, they all work and the civ / leader works.

The only thing that makes sense seems to be that perhaps the image I was using was not compatible with Civ somehow (even though it was saved as BMP and then as a DDX3)? Is this possible and something I should look out for moving forward?

I have now circled back to where I began:

I have now added 3 civs: United States, Canada, Mexico. I have based all three off existing civs in the game (USA = Roosevelt & America), (Canada = Churchill & England), (Mexico = Churchill [yes, Churchill] & Aztec).

The game now properly loads all three civs and a game begins. If I use United States & Canada, the game plays properly without a crash.

However; if I use Mexico, the game starts and Mexico properly appears on the map...BUT, as soon as I click to build the first city with Mexico, the game crashes to desktop.

What methods can I use to figure out why such a crash would occur? Is there something that would cause the game to properly load for the first two civs, but crash upon building my city on the 3rd civ? Please keep in mind I am not an expert modder and am attempting to explain my issues to the best of my ability. If something is unclear, please let me know and I will do my best to clarify.

Essentially...I've created 3 civs with 3 leaders. The game, itself, properly loads with zero XML errors. I am then able to select all three leaders and begin a game. I

f I start a game as the United States or Canada, the game functions properly. If I choose Mexico, the game functions properly UNTIL I build my city. At that point the game crashes. This leads me to believe there is an issue with the ArtStyleType for Mexico. However...the game functions properly using the civ I copied to make Mexico (Aztec). Furthermore, I did not add any new buildings/units, etc. Therefore, this should not be an issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to find out why the game crashes as soon as a click to 'Build City' with my new civ?

Okay.....I appear to have (maybe) had an "ahh ha!" moment.

MMod comes with Varietas Delectas merged into it.

It got me thinking, "I think Varietas Delectas has its own ArtStyleType and UnitStyleType." So... I downloaded PakBuild and un-packed the .pk file for Varietas Delectas. And....what do you know...there was its own Civ4CivilizationsInfos.

It seems that MMod can use the BTS CivilizationsInfos; however, the game will eventually crash when this is done. Therefore, I have to edit the CivilizationsInfos within Varietas Delectas in order for the game to load properly.

I tested the civ that was crashing (Mexico), and it immediately worked. Hopefully, this is correct and an answer to my own questions. I have spent the better part of 25+ hours working/thinking on this issue. That may be laughable to some of the modding experts, but I have done this in the last few weeks starting from nearly zero experience.

I will continue to update to let you know if I have any further issue (which, I am positive I will).

Furthermore, I would like to especially thank those who have provided advice in the last days weeks, in particular:

platying
isenchine
sparth
karadoc
afforess
leoreth
TrentonC

This will certainly not be the last of my annoying posts. However, I am attempting to both fix my own problems, while also documenting what has and has not worked. I hope (hope!) that I am through my roughest patch with regard to inputting new civs / leaders. I suppose I'll know more soon...

Top Bottom