Suggested Additions

Perhaps a change to the suggestion allowing for destruction of the building to avoid the pollution costs

Which buildings would you want to destroy/disable/sell if such a mechanic was available?

As to the sale of the building, as previous Civ games allowed it

In previous versions of Civ buildings had maintenance costs, so an option to sell them was important. In HR pollution is the only drawback to retaining a building and should be outweighed by the other benefits the building provides. Dirty Power Plants are the exception, but as I mentioned, they are decommissioned/removed whenever a city builds a cleaner variant.

Would supplementing the AI be that difficult for planting a forest? Do not AIs already engage in various improvements such as farming, building lumber mills, etc. which are quite similar?

Forests are a terrain feature that can have other improvements built in them (or instead of them). In terms of AI, that's a step in the decision making process that doesn't currently exist and has the potential to lead to cyclical decisions if not handled correctly.

Is there any limit to the number of resources that the game can handle?

There's no hard limit that I'm aware of, though there are a number of soft limits that take additional effort to overcome. That's not why I've capped resources where I have though. Non-strategic resources need to provide happiness and/or health; on their own and via a building. Otherwise they have no value for diplomatic trading. (Ideally they also need to be associated with one or more Corporations/Syndicates too). Every new resource is thus a new source of happiness/health and I'll explain why this matters below.

6) 9) 11) 12) 14) I am not certain I understand the balancing standard you are referring to to. The AI buildings would receive all of the same additions/modifications/bonuses. So the factors should balance.

I refer to balance within your own cities/civilization. If too much food is available too early, then cities grow too big too early. If too much commerce is available too early then it can make tech progression too fast or cultural victories too easy. If happiness is too easy to obtain (e.g. from resources) then it trivialises the mechanic unless additional sources of unhappiness are added. And so on. Available happiness/health needs to be commensurate with the growth rate of cities. Too much yield in cities can reduce the importance of good city location and land use. And other such interactions. Civ4 is a game of cumulative effects; it doesn't take much to disrupt the pace and balance of the game so I have to think holistically when adding new bonuses. Sometimes balance has to trump realism, other times realism is worth reworking that balance. I put a lot of time and thought into such things, possibly too much, but I think (hope) that's a reason why people enjoy HR.

7) As to your comment that you doubted the AI could handle the "negative" culture, please refer to my several year long testing of my proposed additions/modifications/bonuses. The testing included placing the negative culture into the AI Cities. It worked fine with no issues or problems. Indeed, I suggested that these particular suggestions would not need any tweaks to the AI and would only need to be inserted into each building's specifications.

That's good to know. Will keep it in mind for the future.

8) Thank you for acknowledging my observation that Intelligence Agencies should not be in every City. But that is the essence of my suggestion. Each Country usually has one major Intelligence Agency (CIA, MI6, Deuxieme Bureau, etc) The game (1.24) potentially allows them to be built in every (but in more than one in any case) City (if a Player have enough Great Spies) giving a Player an out of balance access to Espionage Points which should be changed (why I suggested that the Intelligence Agency should be made a Great Wonder. Unless, that change has already been made in 1.25, which I would not know about...?

Perhaps it would make more sense to redesignate the Intelligence Agency (Great Spy Building) as the Security Bureau (National Wonder). And vice-versa.

10) Yes, I understand that the Solar and Hydro Plants have reduced pollution effects compared to the Coal Plants. The essence of my point is that they should have none. Neither have foul air or water or radiation emissions that characterize the pollution of Coal or Nuclear Plants. edit: The current game (1.24) has two pollution points for Solar/Hydro - has it been changed for 1.25?

To Xyth: I made an error on the Solar/Hydro Plant comment - the current 1.24 version has them at two pollution points - I assume that you meant that 1.25 has them at zero. Apologies.

I thought they were at zero in 1.24 as well but maybe that was a bug I've since fixed and forgotten about.

17) I understand your point about Barracks. As you indicate, change the name of the Bunker to a Military Base, keep the four experience points for Armor units but also allow four experience points for Artillery units (which do not have a building providing the, to Artillery units currently in the game).

Bunker provides Artillery XP as well as Armour XP in 1.25, but I'll review it after release.

I understand that the Coliseum is already listed as a Roman Unique Wonder. However, I would suggest that the Coliseum is so universally known and acknowledged, it should be elevated to Great Wonder status. I would propose the same argument for the Grand Bazaar at Istanbul and the Sphinx and the Louvre. In an edit to my original list, I added a few items, which are not on your lsit including the Diocletion Baths in Rome which reputedly could handle 3000 bathers.

I'm not opposed to elevating/replacing UWs where appropriate but in this case there is no shortage of Greco-Roman wonders nor Classical Era wonders. Low priority at this time.

As to destruction of buildings - any that involved any pollution cost.

I was not aware that HR stopped maintenance costs for such buildings. However, there is still the aspect that the sale even of an active building would be an effective way for a Player to immediately raise cash - avoid strikes, take advantage of an opportunity, etc.

As to the forest planting - what do you mean by cyclical decisions?

The Pearl/Oyster resource would add both happiness and cash/food factors. They did in other versions of Civ.

I understand what you are saying about having too much food or commerce in the early parts of the game, but my response is two fold. First, it is the players responsibility to monitor growth, etc. The player should watched what is happening and act accordingly. In real life, too fast growth can occur leading to economic breakdown. Second, in my multi year 40 game testing spree (where I tested the negative Cultural Points - I also tested the various suggestions I have concerning adding some positive points., my suggested additions had no adverse effects on the balance you describe. Indeed, my suggested are quite small - a few food and a few commerce. They have a minor effect at the start of the game but are statistically insignificant after the Classical period. The Food especially has the advantage of shortening the extensive time at the start of the game where the Players are swiftly cycling through turns with very little to do - which has the positive effect of making the first thousand or years more interesting and less of an exercise in patience to waiting.

About your response about switching the the Intelligence Agency and the Security Bureau - there would still be one as a building capable of being built in every City. My previous observation that a Country usually only has one such agency applies to both types of buildings with equal force. For example, the US has the CIA for foreign work (the intelligence agency) and the FBI for the doe,tic counterintelligence work (the equivalent of the Security Bureau. Same for the British with MI5 and MI6. The Soviet Union had two separate divisions in the KGB for foreign intelligence (the Intelligence Agency in the game) and domestic counterintelligence (their version of the game's Security Bureau). Just switching them would result in the same problem but only from a different perspective.

I hope I can get 1.25 Beta2 loaded this weekend. I could not do it last year - it just would not work. If I have problems I will message you for help.

I understand that the request for upgrading certain Wonders is low priority. But for future consideration, I suggest that just because a Civilization had a large number of Wonders, that is not a sufficient reason not to recognize their legitimate status and then inflate less worthy buildings to Wonder. An excellent example of this point is in Realism Invictus. I believe that mod had an Indian bath (that was maybe 10 feet across historically) as a Great Wonder, when, in comparison, the Diocletion Baths of Ancient Rome covered a huge number of acres in the city and were reputed to handle 3000 bathers.

Also, as a general matter, I understand and agree with your point that somemtimes playability must yield to realism and vice versa. I do not dispute that point. However, I have been a war game tester (board and computer) for decades. One basic principle i found to be rather successful was that if the various units/pieces/etc are given historical values/strengths/etc that the playability is usually fine - AS LONG AS THE VALUES/STRENGTHS ARE REASONABLY ACCURATE. This not always easy to determine.

BTW, would you give me your take on my suggestion that the Economic Victory AI calculation could be more easily inserted by merely copying the Cultural Victory AI algorithm due to their apparent similarity. I admit I do not know the programming language for Civ but I do have an undergraduate degree in computer programming (the languages I learned are not the same and I was a Systems analyst for while - so I do have some degree of competence in evaluating the overall parameters for the programming process and algorithms. For the programming languages that I knew, copying sections of code that had already been demonstrated as working was a standard practice that most likely be applicable in this instance to ensure AI cooperation.

Talk soon. I have a number of observations I have collected over the past several years I will be intermittently posting depending on time etc. I am a disabled vet and my time is frequently taxed.

I was not aware that HR stopped maintenance costs for such buildings.

That's not an HR change, but a Civ4 change. Bringing it back for Civ5 was utterly ridiculous, proving that the Civ5 developers didn't actually understand what made Civ4 better than Civ3.

As to the forest planting - what do you mean by cyclical decisions?

Worker plants forest, worker chops forest, worker plants forest, worker chops forest. etc, etc.

The Pearl/Oyster resource would add both happiness and cash/food factors. They did in other versions of Civ.

Yes, and the happiness is one reason why I cannot add Pearls (or any other non-strategic resources) at this time.

About your response about switching the the Intelligence Agency and the Security Bureau - there would still be one as a building capable of being built in every City. My previous observation that a Country usually only has one such agency applies to both types of buildings with equal force. For example, the US has the CIA for foreign work (the intelligence agency) and the FBI for the doe,tic counterintelligence work (the equivalent of the Security Bureau. Same for the British with MI5 and MI6. The Soviet Union had two separate divisions in the KGB for foreign intelligence (the Intelligence Agency in the game) and domestic counterintelligence (their version of the game's Security Bureau). Just switching them would result in the same problem but only from a different perspective.

Fair enough. I don't mind renaming either or both buildings if we can think of something more suitable, but for gameplay purposes one of these buildings needs to be a National Wonder and the other needs to be constructed by Great Spies.

An excellent example of this point is in Realism Invictus. I believe that mod had an Indian bath (that was maybe 10 feet across historically) as a Great Wonder, when, in comparison, the Diocletion Baths of Ancient Rome covered a huge number of acres in the city and were reputed to handle 3000 bathers.

That's the Great Bath of Mohenjo-daro, which features something similar to a hypocaust system. It was built by the Indus Civilization nearly 2000 years before Rome was founded. Easily deserving of Wonder status.

BTW, would you give me your take on my suggestion that the Economic Victory AI calculation could be more easily inserted by merely copying the Cultural Victory AI algorithm due to their apparent similarity.

There is no single 'Cultural Victory AI algorithm' as such to be copied, and not a great deal of similarity either. At least for what you've proposed. It would be much easier to write entirely new code.

And I want ask if recon units (scout,.. hum-wee) needs support payment or due to (technical) reason are this covered by free supply. (Well they are form beginning planed to be long away without logistic support.)

For v26 i want ask how it will sound if as another compensation for civil war: The cities that dint join the civil war receive temporally +1 :) for "We are Loyal" or something. Or it can be set by government civic. (The main idea is to help Empire that going down by repeating civil wars.)
(here some craizy ideas:)
Chiefdom: +1:) temporal
Monarchy: temporal +25% military units production, +2 extra experiences for new units in capital
Theocracy: Dissent reduced to Loyal instead stable
Aristocracy: Free draft in capital and temporal +25% GP production in capital.
Confederation: Temporal no maintenance in all cities.
Democracy: 10-25% of(from) non state culture in cities converted to you own.

To: Dretnoth:

Yes, Scouts and Explorers would be free from any supply limits

I really like that idea of giving Cities one Smiliey Face that do not join a civil war revolt. They are not crazy and do make sense.

To Xyth:

As to the maintenance costs:

ME: I missed that one. So, I assume that current maintenance costs are a generic calculation for each City not counting buildings?

As to the possible cyclical acts for Forests:

ME: I understand. Thanks. I assume that the AIs do not engage in such cyclical actions with Farming? If not, then it should not a problem to form the Forest algorithm just like the Farm algorithm to prevent the cyclical acts with Forests?

ME: Although I have seen a really weird action by AIs which I meant to raise with you - in my HR games I have seen AIs repeatedly change tiles with Farms into Tiles with Workshops - even though the City is starving. The AI would do this until the City reduced itself to a population of 1. VERY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING. In an attempt to address this bug manually, I used World Builder to keep changing the Workshops back to Farms but the AI just kept engaging in this building of Workshops. Any suggestions?

As to the Happiness for Pearls:

ME: I think on another post you mentioned you wanted to limit Happiness as there were sufficient in the game at that time. How do you calculate the balance of Happiness? The method I have tried to use has been to add the number of potential Happy Faces and compare it to the number of potential Sad Faces? back when I did so, the standard I attempted to apply was a 11:1 ration, (or thereabouts). But my problem was determining what number of Sad faces the AI automatically applies at the top of each City screen and for what reasons. I know it does so for various reason (such as religious reasons, crowdedness, etc) by the box at the top of the CIty screens. What standard do you use? By any chance do you know the base standard the AI uses to calculate potential sadness? This would be a great help to get determine needed Happiness.

As to the Intelligence Agency and the Security Agencies:

ME: I think I have a suggestion that would work for both of us. Make both National Wonders, with one to be built by a Great Spy and the other to be built in the normal course of construction, but limit each Country to only having one of each. That would prevent any player or AI from gaining a windfall from building several of one them by accumulating Great Spies.

As to the Great Bath of Mohenjo-daro:

ME. Yes, that is it. I had forgotten the name when I wrote my previous post. I think I would disagree with it holding Great Wonder status. It was only 10 meters long (in my original post I mistakenly said it was only 10 feet long - apologies) where as in comparison the Diocletian Baths were 120,000 square meters, had a frigidarium (cold baths) and a caldarium (hot baths) and are reputed to holding 3000 bathers at one time. The comparison is over whelming. I would bet that many baths of the size of Mohenjo-daro existed in other ancient empires in similar time periods, such as the various Chinese dynasties.

As to the Cultural Victory code:

Interesting. So in the programming language used for calculating Cultural Victory, it is not a discrete subroutine? How odd. In the computer languages I learned (Basic/Fortran/ Cobol/RPG/etc) many major processes were written in discrete subroutines, with an overall master program determining when to initiate certain subroutine. What language is Civ4 and HR written? I think I might want to start looking at it.

Last edited:
I cannot seem to get the reply function to work properly. I think I got 1.25 downloaded successfully. It now seems to allow 50+ civs which it did not allow before and I cannot load old games which I think you mentioned in an old post to another person indicates that it is 1.25. Is there any place in HR which indicates what version is currently loaded?

I will start to look at that items you asked me to check on for help.

Anyway, I checked the new building list and it lists both the Solar and Hydro Plants as having two pollution points, which you mentioned above should be zero. Thanks.

For v26 i want ask how it will sound if as another compensation for civil war: The cities that dint join the civil war receive temporally +1 :) for "We are Loyal" or something. Or it can be set by government civic. (The main idea is to help Empire that going down by repeating civil wars.)

Probably best to wait till after 1.25 is out for these suggestions. I can't respond to them atm and they'll get lost amongst all the various threads. Maybe collate all your ideas for dissent and civil war into a new thread so they're easy to find when the time comes.

I missed that one. So, I assume that current maintenance costs are a generic calculation for each City not counting buildings?

Pretty much. Number of cities and distance from capital are major factors. The key ideas are to penalise over-expansion (wide) and to not penalise city development (tall). Which is what Civ3 and Civ5 got so terribly wrong.

I understand. Thanks. I assume that the AIs do not engage in such cyclical actions with Farming? If not, then it should not a problem to form the Forest algorithm just like the Farm algorithm to prevent the cyclical acts with Forests?

The AI does sometimes get stuck in cycles while building improvements. Civ4 AI is easily the best in the series, but it's still incredibly stupid at times.

Although I have seen a really weird action by AIs which I meant to raise with you - in my HR games I have seen AIs repeatedly change tiles with Farms into Tiles with Workshops - even though the City is starving. The AI would do this until the City reduced itself to a population of 1. VERY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING. In an attempt to address this bug manually, I used World Builder to keep changing the Workshops back to Farms but the AI just kept engaging in this building of Workshops. Any suggestions?

This is an example of such stupidity. HR incorporates K-mod, which has made hundreds of tweaks and improvements to the AI compared with BTS, but it's a complex game written more than a decade ago. Can't solve every situation.

I think on another post you mentioned you wanted to limit Happiness as there were sufficient in the game at that time. How do you calculate the balance of Happiness? The method I have tried to use has been to add the number of potential Happy Faces and compare it to the number of potential Sad Faces?.

I don't look at any stat in isolation. I run heaps of test games, looking at broad factors like the rate of city growth, tech progress, frequencies of civil wars, etc, and compare them with where I think they should be at whatever phase of the game I'm examining. If it's too far out from what I think is acceptable, I delve down into why and experiment with options to adjust. Also, it's not just about how much of a particular thing there should be, but also the timing of player's obtaining it. Civ4 is all about rate of accumulation.

I think I have a suggestion that would work for both of us. Make both National Wonders, with one to be built by a Great Spy and the other to be built in the normal course of construction, but limit each Country to only having one of each. That would prevent any player or AI from gaining a windfall from building several of one them by accumulating Great Spies.

That doesn't work because a) the building is designed to be in several but not all cities, and b) Great People are balanced around being able to build several of the same building.

Yes, that is it. I had forgotten the name when I wrote my previous post. I think I would disagree with it holding Great Wonder status. It was only 10 meters long (in my original post I mistakenly said it was only 10 feet long - apologies) where as in comparison the Diocletian Baths were 120,000 square meters, had a frigidarium (cold baths) and a caldarium (hot baths) and are reputed to holding 3000 bathers at one time. The comparison is over whelming

That's not the point. There are way bigger/fancier bathing complexes nowadays, should one of those be a wonder instead? The Diocletian Baths were amazing and sure, they could be a wonder, but they're from a time and a region where there are numerous other choices for wonders. When it was built the Great Bath of Mohenjo-daro was unlike anything else in the entire world. I'd like to add it to HR eventually.

I would bet that many baths of the size of Mohenjo-daro existed in other ancient empires in similar time periods, such as the various Chinese dynasties.

Nope. It's the earliest public bath ever discovered anywhere, let alone one with a (potential) hypocaust system. It was part of a sophisticated water supply system indicating a level of civil engineering and urban planning that was ahead of its time. Predates the Shang Dynasty by a millennium or so.

Interesting. So in the programming language used for calculating Cultural Victory, it is not a discrete subroutine? How odd. In the computer languages I learned (Basic/Fortran/ Cobol/RPG/etc) many major processes were written in discrete subroutines, with an overall master program determining when to initiate certain subroutine.

The AI doesn't just choose a victory strategy and stick with it for the entire game. It's much more dynamic and thus code relevant to any victory type is scattered throughout hundreds of routines.

What language is Civ4 and HR written? I think I might want to start looking at it.[/QUOTE]

C++, Python, and XML.

I cannot seem to get the reply function to work properly.

Highlight the text you want to reply to options to +Quote and Reply will pop up. Use +Quote to gather everything up and start a post and press Insert Quotes to paste them all. Then you can respond to each seperately like I do in this post.

I think I got 1.25 downloaded successfully. It now seems to allow 50+ civs which it did not allow before and I cannot load old games which I think you mentioned in an old post to another person indicates that it is 1.25

Every new major version (1.24, 1.25, etc) will break saved game compatibility. I try to not break compatibility with minor updates (1.23.1, 1.23.2, etc) but sometimes it's unavoidable.

Is there any place in HR which indicates what version is currently loaded?

Hit the Cog button in the top left to open the Mod Settings panel, then choose the System page.

Anyway, I checked the new building list and it lists both the Solar and Hydro Plants as having two pollution points, which you mentioned above should be zero

Which building list is this?

Thanks for the response. Please allow me to respond to a few of them.

Interesting as to city maintenance. Is there a formula that is used to determine maintenance costs? Would you share it?

As to the Happiness factor, if a building should include some form of additional happiness, if a corresponding unhappiness factor were introduced in another building to balance it, would you then consider such an addition?

I understand that one of the buildings (Intelligence Agency or Security Bureau) is designed to be built in multiple cities. But that is precisely the essence of my suggestion. It is unrealistic to allow either one to be in multiple cities as each country in the real world only had one of each of such agencies - US: CIA (Intelligence) and FBI (Security - Great Britain: MI6 (Intelligence) and MI5 (Security). Allowing players and AIs to build more than one of each in a country is highly unrealistic and allows a windfall in espionage points (if you have a number of Great Spies to build them) that should not exist.

As to the Great Bath of Mohenjo-daro, you are correct about the Chinese, however, I suggest you look at the Mesopotamia civilization which existed before the Indus Valley. I checked with a former colleague (an archaeology professor) who said that the Mesopotamians had baths and plumbing and water cisterns well before the Indus Valley civilizations. I would suggest that comparing Rome's baths to modern baths is fallacious as, for the time, the Roman Diocletian baths were much more advanced than anything at that time or before. Modern baths are quite common across the world in spas, resorts. etc.

The building list can be accessed when you go into World Builder and choose the Buildings icon - when the building is question is selected, a window opens which displays the specifications of that building.

EDIT: I went to the cog on the screen and went to the Systems tab but it did not list the version of HR that was installed. Is there another place in the game which lists the version of HR currently loaded?

Last edited:
Interesting as to city maintenance. Is there a formula that is used to determine maintenance costs? Would you share it?

There's a detailed breakdown of the formula here. That's for the base game, HR changes some of the numbers, but the principle is more or less the same.

As to the Happiness factor, if a building should include some form of additional happiness, if a corresponding unhappiness factor were introduced in another building to balance it, would you then consider such an addition?

Possibly. Depends if the new source of unhappiness makes sense and doesn't devalue whatever it's attached to too much.

I understand that one of the buildings (Intelligence Agency or Security Bureau) is designed to be built in multiple cities. But that is precisely the essence of my suggestion. It is unrealistic to allow either one to be in multiple cities as each country in the real world only had one of each of such agencies - US: CIA (Intelligence) and FBI (Security - Great Britain: MI6 (Intelligence) and MI5 (Security). Allowing players and AIs to build more than one of each in a country is highly unrealistic and allows a windfall in espionage points (if you have a number of Great Spies to build them) that should not exist.

I consider it non-negotiable that one of these buildings is able to be built multiple times. I just don't consider the implied unrealism to be that much of a big deal in this situation, certainly not enough to warrant changing game mechanics for. I am open to suggestions for renaming either building though.

As to the Great Bath of Mohenjo-daro, you are correct about the Chinese, however, I suggest you look at the Mesopotamia civilization which existed before the Indus Valley. I checked with a former colleague (an archaeology professor) who said that the Mesopotamians had baths and plumbing and water cisterns well before the Indus Valley civilizations.

The two civilizations were mostly contemporary, and Mesopotamian sanitation and urban planning was not nearly as advanced as it was the Indus Valley. It's one of the most defining aspects of the Harappan civilization. Many theses on the topic. Studied them myself at university (Archaeology and Linguistics major).

I would suggest that comparing Rome's baths to modern baths is fallacious as, for the time, the Roman Diocletian baths were much more advanced than anything at that time or before. Modern baths are quite common across the world in spas, resorts. etc.

Yes it is fallacious, just as comparing the Great Bath at Mohenjo-Daro to the Diocletian Baths is. For the same reasons. That was my point.

The building list can be accessed when you go into World Builder and choose the Buildings icon - when the building is question is selected, a window opens which displays the specifications of that building.

Nope, not seeing that anywhere.

EDIT: I went to the cog on the screen and went to the Systems tab but it did not list the version of HR that was installed. Is there another place in the game which lists the version of HR currently loaded?

Are the Armenians and Scythians available to play? If not, you don't have 1.25.

As to the version, I looked on the list of civilizations and neither was present. So i went to the Download file on my computer and saw that version 1.25 2nd was listed as my last download. I downloaded it directly from the link listed in your recent post BETA 1.25 (2nd). Any suggestions?

As to the pollution on the the Solar/Hydro plants, my previous question may explain why it is still there.

I see your argument about the fallacious point, I probably should have developed it further. However, the difference between the modern time/Roman argument and the Roman/Indus argument is that in modern times, the water works of that quality are ubiquitous, in Roman times the quality of the Diocletian Baths was not. In Indus times, my colleague advised me that there is no evidence as to the purpose of the bath (public or private) (religious or hygenic) - just theoretical speculation. It may have just been a storage tank. True as to being contemporaneous - but did not Mesopotamia start around 4000 BC with the Indus starting around 3000 BC? Would you provide me with the cite of one of the more comprehensive articles on it? For personal edification I would like to read it. I will have to get back to my colleague about on Mesopotamia archaeology (not my filed). Interesting discussion. Good to find people with similar interests in history. Anyway, to continue....

BTW - interesting that you have an archaeology/linguistics degree. My undergrad degrees are in Philosophy/Literature (with some Latin/Greek thrown in), Computers, and Psychology/Mathematics. Seems that traditional liberal arts people are drawn to Civ.

As to the Intelligence Agencies and Security Bureaus, it is your program.

As to the version, I looked on the list of civilizations and neither was present. So i went to the Download file on my computer and saw that version 1.25 2nd was listed as my last download. I downloaded it directly from the link listed in your recent post BETA 1.25 (2nd). Any suggestions?

Make sure you've deleted or moved your installation of 1.24.1 somewhere else before installing 1.25. Otherwise BTS will load the first one it finds. To double-check which is which, look at the first line of the About.txt file.

OK. I did as instructed - deleted all 1.24 and 1.25 mods. I loaded the 1.25 (2nd) file from your link. When I go to the Civ4 icon-shortcut to start the game - it runs through the steps to Start a Mod - I select HR 1.25 (2nd) and the game just dies (after it says it must restart to load the mod) - does nothing.

The folder in the Mods folder is labeled History_Rewritten_1,25_2nd-Beta.7z

When I try to go through the Realism Invictus icon-shortcut (which loads to RI but allows to loading a mod (this is how I accessed HR previously)) - I ask to load the 1.25 (2nd) mod and it reverts to plain vanilla BTS.

What do I do?

Last edited:
OK. I tried to reload it several times. i got it to work through Realism Invcitus but not through the regular BTS icon. Any ideas why it will only work that way?

The folder in the Mods folder is labeled History_Rewritten_1,25_2nd-Beta.7z

That's not a folder, that's the 7zip archive which you need to unzip. The resulting folder should be called History Rewritten with no numbers or anything else. See this post for additional help if you need.

Top Bottom