suggestion for modders - multiple resources per tile

Micheal1979

Chieftain
I'm not sure if this is possible or if its been discussed before, but something has been bugging me for awhile.

I was wondering if it was possible to to mod in tiles with multiple bonuses, like a tile could have gold and wheat. that way you could either improve it for one way or the other for one of the resources, mine for gold or farm for wheat.

of course its possible, but probably not very likely to happen. Not really worth the effort, and it would be a nightmare to make it look all correctly.

If this were Civ 4, I'd say the best way to do this would be to have a single bonus resource that could provide different health/luxury/strategic resources based on the improvement that is built on it.

With Civ 5's "You can ONLY build the resource-gathering improvement on a resource tile", I'm not sure that'd be possible without SDK work.

More importantly, why?!?!?

And the way to make it work would probably be to create a new resource whose effect and graphic looked like a combination of the different 'base' resources that it consisted. That would require making a massive number of new resources though, one for each possible combination of base resources.

Actually Zurai is exactly right. I think you would be able to change where improvements can be built fairly easily.

Wait, what? Is it not the same system as in Civ4?

Plantations can only be built on resources. Pastures can only be built on resources. Quarries can only be built on resources. :p Same basic system, as far as that is concerned.

And in either game, it would be impossible without sdk work. :p

I think he's talking about the fact that you can't build non-valid improvements on top of resources (except for ones from Great People).
On a plain, I can build a farm or a trading post.
On a plain with Wheat, I can ONLY build a farm. No trading post.

That being said, the Wheat has no effect on the improvements built on it (the farm still only adds +1). The wheat only affects the yield of the tile. Combining wheat and gold on the same tile would not be terribly interesting, because you get the wheat bonus whether or not you build a farm or not.
However, I could see a "two improvement" system applied to luxury resources.
Let's use marble as an example.
Right now, you can build a quarry which slightly improves the yield and connects the resource to your civ. Now what if we modded it to give a choice? Instead of a quarry, we could build a mine. It would add a significant bonus to the yield (more than a regular mine) but would not connect the resource to your civ. Essentially, you are giving up the happiness to get more yield. Or, if you already have some of the resource, this gives some incentive to get more.

I was wondering if it was possible to to mod in tiles with multiple bonuses, like a tile could have gold and wheat. that way you could either improve it for one way or the other for one of the resources, mine for gold or farm for wheat.

Just create a new resource called gold/wheat, give it the combined stats of both resources, and create a nif (graphic) which combined both and you're golden.

I think he's talking about the fact that you can't build non-valid improvements on top of resources (except for ones from Great People).
On a plain, I can build a farm or a trading post.
On a plain with Wheat, I can ONLY build a farm. No trading post.

That being said, the Wheat has no effect on the improvements built on it (the farm still only adds +1). The wheat only affects the yield of the tile. Combining wheat and gold on the same tile would not be terribly interesting, because you get the wheat bonus whether or not you build a farm or not.
However, I could see a "two improvement" system applied to luxury resources.
Let's use marble as an example.
Right now, you can build a quarry which slightly improves the yield and connects the resource to your civ. Now what if we modded it to give a choice? Instead of a quarry, we could build a mine. It would add a significant bonus to the yield (more than a regular mine) but would not connect the resource to your civ. Essentially, you are giving up the happiness to get more yield. Or, if you already have some of the resource, this gives some incentive to get more.

Oh. That's easily modded, same way build requirements in Civ4 are.

Top Bottom