Suomenkielinen Civilization V (Finnish language)

Marraskuun versio on vihdoin ulkona. Muutoksia ei ole aivan niin paljon kuin edellisessä julkaisussa, en tainnut saada ainuttakaan uutta tiedostoa täysin suomennetuksi. Mukana on kuitenkin monia pieniä korjauksia uusien suomennosten lisäksi.

Taukoni venähti sitten pariin viikkoon, jonka aikana en edes pelannut peliä. Pitäisi kuitenkin tehdä ihan hyvää :)

well i mean, i'm finnish but i mean i've never wanted or saw the point of a language pack, pretty much everyone i know speaks enough english to understand.

that's my question indeed: who the hell in Finland doesent't understand English?!?!?!??! Here in Italy we have the language problem, but well... it's Italy!

that's my question indeed: who the hell in Finland doesent't understand English?!?!?!??! Here in Italy we have the language problem, but well... it's Italy!

No Herranen aika!

What seems to be the problem? A Finnish translation of the game is a commendable modding project, without question, and the creator should have the Suomen Valkoinen Ruusu Medal for it instead of being bothered with unfounded criticism like this. In my opinion it is an interesting and unique project. There are no other language that have this kind of devotion, and it is a mark of love for one's language as well as the game.

Just for a side note, I've been starting off a new site recently, it is not open yet, but sooner or later I'll move the Finnish part of the discussion there (or, just ask politely to do so!)

For a quick summary, suomipelit.com has declared itself as almost a dead site, so with some help I'm starting a new site with an increased focus to creating games as well as modding them. And a Finnish site of course just in case this is unclear. The site is wiki based with a forum, so any registered user can provide more content. I hope that my own activity on the project will eventually get others to share their knowledge as well :)

The bad part is that this does slow down the translation project. However, with the new site I thought that there would be a collaborative project for Civilization V to add Finland to the game. It should give a nice learning experience for anyone interested.

The new site for Finnish games (made in Finland, released in Finnish or fan translated to Finnish) is now somewhat public. Still lots of work to do.

Finga on uusi sivusto suomipeleille, suomenkielisille peleille, fanisuomennoksille ja pelinteolle – modaus mukaanlukien. Se on nyt jokseenkin julkistettu, mutta tällä hetkellä on vielä sen verran tehtävää, etten puske linkkiä kunnolla ympäri nettiä. Tämä on vasta kolmas foorumi. Ja perusteena tälle on se, että (toivottavasti) ymmärrettävistä syistä johtuen Civ V:n suomennoksen julkaisu tämän kuun osalta voi venähtää lähemmäs loppukuuta. Fingan työstäminen on vaatinut aikaa, varsinkin kun Suomipelit.com ilmoitti sulkevansa oman fooruminsa "joulukuun alussa". Piti saada linkki esiin ajoissa, eli tiivistää tahtia.

The Finnish language discussion will move over to Finga when I get the thread up and running over there. May be a while, I still have some more important projects for the site such as uploading all the remaining games (that I got from Suomipelit.com). Hopefully some of you find the new site both interesting and valuable :)

Okay, from now on all the Finnish talk should go to the thread @ Finga. So any feedback, comments, questions about the implementation should be in English when posting here at Fanatics.

Eli kaikki suomenkielinen keskustelu vastedes yllä mainitun linkin takana.

Fantastic work!
I tested translation with mac and there is no problems. Oh... there is one: You get out of the game by pressing "Paluu Windowsiin" :) (okayokay... no problems)

I was not able to register to Finga. "Ylläpito on poistanut rekisteröitymisen käytöstä". Why so? Is this temporal situation?

What is situation with translation now? There is no january version of translation pack.
Although in fact present situation is fairly enough for me. Only thing I really need is that names of cities, empires and leaders are translated. Everything else is to me only nice and positive, but not necessary.
I will play with translation starting today and I will always give feedback if I notice something.

At the moment I'm being busy with another project, a paid one, so I haven't had any time in January either. December was quite a horrible month resting wise, still far behind in energy levels I had in October & November.

Finga's registration page should work, if it doesn't then something has gone wrong during Joomla & jFusion upgrade.

Okay now registration is working at Finga.

First thing to come my mind about CIV V translation:
- I dislike wondernames with the word "mahtava" in beginning (mahtava majakka, -kirjasto, -muuri). Although in english version there is the word "Great" (Great library, great walls, great lighthouse) I think it was better habit that Kahkonen used in translation of CIV IV. He used "Aleksandrian kirjasto", "Kiinan muuri" and "Faroksen majakka". These refer to original historical monuments that CIV-wonders represent.
- Wonder Colossus is not translated. And in same fashion it should not be "mahtava kolossi" but "Rodoksen kolossi".
- Foreign advisor uses a very odd sentence: Translation to "City-State A wants to wipe out City-State B" is "Kaupunkivaltio A a haluaa Kaupunkivaltion B olevan tuomiokellojen oma". Perhaps "... tuhon oma"?
- Why you use the word "Pienvaltio" instead of direct translation "Kaupunkivaltio" for city-states. Kaupunkivaltio is very common word and the those city-states clearly ARE only great cities of history, not any "small nations".

I have fixed these for myself, but I wanted you and everyone to know about these things that I think as bugs (although perhaps everyone will not agree).

Just a quick one: pienvaltio is used because in some parts of the game there is not enough visual space for kaupunkivaltio, making the user interface partially unreadable.

If it's still relevant, I'd like to mention that "peitsimies" is in fact, the real translation of "lancer" in finnish, so it would be the correct translation, although, it might not sound very good. Confusing thing is though, that it also means "pikeman", although "piikkimies" is more common term.

More or less relevant, the discussion is always open :)

I've ended up on conclusion to take free hands on naming the units: use a certain convention and try to keep at it.

To me "peitsimies" sounds too much like a regular melee unit, not a horse based unit that it is. Also many of the current "most common" terms used in articles and such are what they are because, I guess, nobody hasn't put real thought for better names and they've ended up with somewhat direct translations, or just using what they've seen used before. Yet the names aren't "common knowledge", I had to really dig into the internet and a few books to find these words in use.

From the English side there is a minor issue with Civilization as a series as well: some unit names are as they are due to game's own history, which means they've kept the existing words. The unit names aren't following any specific convention. An example: word "Infantry" is actually used in English language for any foot troops regardless of the era, not only for the modern time infantry. The same issue exists with "jalkaväki".

For the moment this has lead me to the conclusion of "use the main weapon name unless there is a better suited term for that type of unit". This means some units like Immortal (Kuolematon) and Companion Cavalry (Toveriratsuväki) do come quite directly as you simply can't name them via the weapons they used as there is nothing special in them. Generic units are a different story, so I've simply ended using the name of weapon with units like Rifleman (Kivääri) and Infantry (Rynnäkkökivääri).

But it is now quite a while I last had any thoughts on this matter. I still haven't gotten myself to continue with the translation, even though I have promised to have a release next month. Some annoying projects just simply don't die... I guess I won't like this restart a lot as the first thing to do is to check all the changes that have happened in the localization frontier. When I started the only good way to translate was to replace English strings, but for some reason they'd prefer other means... which were still under development at the time. Then there is the list of changed strings that I need to gather for myself.

New version is out, see attachment in the first post of this thread, or if you're not registered at CivFanatics you can also find it here!

Note! The language pack is now different, remove old files from Text folder, it is now all contained in Suomi.xml – also, you must edit config.ini, find Language = en_US and replace it with Language = fi_FI

This change has been done to support Firaxis official documentation for language packs.

- I dislike wondernames with the word "mahtava" in beginning (mahtava majakka, -kirjasto, -muuri). Although in english version there is the word "Great" (Great library, great walls, great lighthouse) I think it was better habit that Kahkonen used in translation of CIV IV. He used "Aleksandrian kirjasto", "Kiinan muuri" and "Faroksen majakka". These refer to original historical monuments that CIV-wonders represent.
- Wonder Colossus is not translated. And in same fashion it should not be "mahtava kolossi" but "Rodoksen kolossi".

Well, I'm a teacher and I want to deliver our cultural heritage. The lighthouse was in Faros and the Colossus in Rodos. ;) I think, by keeping the names in front, these little pieces of knowledge are more easily learnt.

Oheisrakenne... aika hardcore :) uudissana. Mahtaako aueta kenellekään. Onhan se loogisesti johdettu ainakin - rakennelma joka tulee jonkun oheen. Ehkä vähän täsmällisempi voisi olla.

How about (from "uudisraivaaja") a new word: "uudisraivanne"? :lol:

I took "oheisrakenne" also in Civ 4 translation, because it it better than the original (parannus) but also I wanted there are same word in Merri's and my translation. Merri translated one Civ 4 BTS mod at the time.

Well you've got an early Christmas: http://merri.net/keskustelu/Civilization_V?pid=499#pid499

I caught an unexpected flu shortly after writing the above and having three days to spend I used it quite efficiently. My head didn't like it but did it anyway :)

A very likely something that'll be a bigger update is arriving probably around 2013-01-02 so you'll have something to wait!

Top Bottom