Super Medic Unit

AutomatedTeller

Frequent poster
What type of unit do you guys use for Super Medics? I am watching a HA rush video by AbsoluteZero and he uses axes, cause they become useful spear defenders and woody III potential.

I, personally, use chariots - with the extra movement, they get even more movement.

What do you guys use?

with the extra movement, they get even more movement.

I don't have anything in particular to contribute, but that's an extremely zen statement.

Well okay, just so my post isn't completely useless: I'll usually also use a chariot -- keeps up with Cuirs/Cav, rarely selected for defense. In my experience the Woody III/Medic III super-medic is just too rare to shoot for most of the time. I guess the exception would be if I had already had a Woody III warrior from barbs and Combat I from Agg, in which case Medic III would just be a couple more xp away after attaching GG. But then you don't get the movement promo, so even in that case it depends what sort of war you're going to do.

Or if you're Monty or Boudica, for obvious reasons. :D

I didn't realize :) I meant, of course, it becomes a move 3 unit. Which is nice when redeploying from stack to stack.

I do miss the chance for the highly desirable woody III/medic III unit, though. I think with a charismatic civ, I would definitely take a shot.

Small point but Agg will actually get there slightly faster than Cha -- 37 xp vs. 38 -- since they only need to get 6 promotions rather than 7. Boudica will get there at 28, which is easy if you leveled up a bit on barbs, and one of Monty's Jaguar's only needs 26.

I like the Woodsman III medic because he is a better medic. The healing rate is higher with Woody III than with Combat I and Medic II; though, he doesn't heal in adjacent tiles. 27(?) standard XP gets you Woody III, Combat I, and Medic I, which is plenty good enough for me and is superior to the healing that any Chariot can ever achieve.

The trade off is that your Woody healer is slow and winds up staying behind with the beaten up Cats and misses out on the chance to grab an XP or two at the next city. If you're a Spies plus Horseman-cum-Cavalry style attacker, then the Chariot is certainly the way to go.

I do admit that if you don't have Agg, Cha, or Jaguars, it is difficult to create a truly great healer unit, and in that situation I often do wind up using a Chariot with my GG and just trying (and often failing) to get a standard unit to 10 XP and Woody III on its own to hang back with the wounded siege units. With any of those three Characteristics however, I think that the Woodsman line gives you a better healer sooner.

Medic 1 is a good impromptu healer. With a great general woodsman 3 has more potential.

Ahh - I meant super-medic with a great general, where you can get medic III, which is 15% both in and next, and which the chariot can certainly get.

I didn't really think about woodsman III/medic 1, though, which is a pretty good combo. Monty could get that with just 3 extra promos.

27(?) standard XP gets you Woody III, Combat I, and Medic I, which is plenty good enough for me and is superior to the healing that any Chariot can ever achieve.

How so? IIRC, Woody III + Medic I and Medic I + Medic III are both 25% healing. It also requires an additional promotion and a unit with lower base movement.

Of course Woody III has higher upside if you can get the xp to get to Medic III as well. But in most cases that will involve fighting with your medic unit a fair bit, which generally you want to avoid (the exception of course being mop-ups.) And unless you get a ton of experience you will still have the limiting 1 movement.

But you can get a woody III/medic 1 unit without a GG. In fact, with a rax, pentagon, battlefield medicine and vassale/theocracy, you can make 'em out of the box, which is very useful.

I really like the extra movement mounted medics get. You can often jump from captured city to captured city across enemy territory. I don't really get the idea of making your super medic a scout to avoid combat. I have never had a mounted super medic defend unless the stack was doomed anyway, and it is nice to have a unit that can help out a bit and get more promotions (morale, leadership) and GG points. On the other hand, I wouldn't put medic on a stack defender unless I was desperate, or it was woody III already.

I always promote mounted with combat, and keep super medics as chariots until there is sufficient cover.

But you can get a woody III/medic 1 unit without a GG. In fact, with a rax, pentagon, battlefield medicine and vassale/theocracy, you can make 'em out of the box, which is very useful.

To be clear, I wasn't denying Wood III/Medic I units can be useful. I was just specifically puzzled over the claim that their healing is "superior to the healing that any Chariot can ever achieve." Since that just seemed to be false. :dubious:

Scout. Scout. Scout. Use a freaking scout.

Any other unit you choose risks dying in a stupid defensive situation (chariots being the least at-risk barring things like ballista elephants or the AI blowing through your spear defenders). Woods III is cute but frequently impractical and raises the odds you lose the unit because of how ridiculously stupid borked the "best defender" code is when it comes to first strikes (an extreme example is a drill IV GG ironclad defending before a destroyer against a destroyer, both full health, despite the former having 30%+ worse odds, but it happens frequently enough in less extreme fashion in practice). Even if you *do* get it, times where it provides full healing materially faster than basic medic III (esp with promo saving but even w/o it) are rare.

Not only that, scouts start with 2 move so can chase anything and thus are guaranteed viable 2 move medic III out of the gate with a GG. It is also minimal hammer investment for a unit that you essentially don't use in actual combat. Maybe if Aztec or boudica you consider woods III medic III, but normally just roll with a medic III scout and you'll never lose it unless your whole freaking stack gets wiped out.

super medics are woodsman III combined with medic III, Aztecs Jaguars are the easyest unit to promote thowards that, start with wodsman I and combat I right out the batt. so you promote it to a woodsman III (ther you have 15 % heal if rememberd correctly) give it a general and promote to medic I, II and III. thats the easyest way to get the best Medic in the game. Outher leaders good fo that are Boudica whos Agressive (Combat I automaticly) and charismatic for cheaper promotions thowards woodsman III. If you dont have an agressive or charismatic leader then you shold sitck the healer to a two moves unit preferebly a week one so it dont gett killed imho.

Its fun with Aztecs cous you could with a little luck and good planing promote a couple of jaguars without general thowards woodsman III and medic II making those good healers already at woodsman III and medic I and realy good at medic II. so you'll be able to have a couple of them splitted up on multipal stacks and settling the generals instead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit.
I saw tmit said the same about Woodsman III units now but i'll let it stay as it is anywhay

My super Medic is completely dependent on my start.

If I start with a scout he's my initial target. If I can keep him alive to get combat I + Medic I, I send him back to base and he'll probably become my first super medic or at least a back-up medic.

If I don't start with scouts my warriors become my potential medics. I promote one to Woods II for quick scouting and another gets combat I + medic I if feasible. If I can get my Woodsman Warrior to III or the other warrior to Medic II off animals and barbs he imediately beelines back to base for safe keeping. Otherwise when I do get a GG and I still have both classes of warriors alive I'll just choose between the two.

If I axe rush, I'll end up having an axe medic and if I chariot rush I'll have a chariot medic.

I don't find mobility all that limiting with a one move medic. Most of the time my seige needs the healing anyway and once you can heal in adjecent territories you just need to be nearby. Also I'll typically have a second unit with medic I floating around as back up (again this may be a late warrior who was needed for clean up battles but can't do any real damage against axe/spear/sword etc.). That said if I do go down the medic III line with a warrior that unit will get the extra move.

I don't usually have issues with losing the warrior medics in stacks since they are so low in strength and I do like the ability of the free upgrade to useful units, but will always make sure I stay an era or two behind the rest of my stack.

As TMIT said, Explorers/Scouts make excellent medics because:
a)They almost never get attacked in a stack
b)2 Movement
c)Explorers start with Woodsman I, getting them all that much closer

Jaguars also probably do a good job, but(I've never tried this personally) they might get attacked in your stack and promptly die, which isn't good...

Top Bottom