Unit obsoleteness: which units I have to prebuild in advance?

gavenkoa

Prince
I usually promote Chariot to Super-medic because of 2 tiles long moves and it is the cheapest such unit.

In the recent game I've lost one of 2 and was upset as I already got to the Guilds/Knight

I've read about unit obsoleteness here:

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Obsolete

I wonder which units it is best to prebuild before they obsolete?

I think about having 2-3 Chariots to promote to Medics.

As I understand Heredity Rule might benefit from Warrior and isolated city could pump them anytime.

What other units are important to prebuild before they obsolete? It is something I have to worry about?

UUs with extra promotions come to mind. Certainly not in a way that you "have to prebuild in advance", but always fun to play: Berserkers->Grenadiers, Oromos->DrillIV-Rifles, Totem-Pole-Crossbows,...

Warriors can be built until hunting was researched, another advantage of skipping Archery (if possible).
Chariots are a good pick for medics yup, 2-3 seems a bit excessive (most common armies have just 1 super medic with 3mp).

It's more about the big plans here, if you have few cities but can create lots of :gold: then it can actually be a disadvantage to unlock bigger units early.
Expensive conversion :gold: into :hammers: but maybe no other way for a quick large army.

You can often (not always i think) find out when units obsolete, by checking their upgrade options.
For example Berserkers upgrade into Grens & Rifles, so just reaching Rifling (but not MS) will not obsolete them.
I used this recently for Naval attacking fun with CR2 Rifles, upgraded from Berserkers. They also keep amphibious :)

Sometimes I will just put hammers into a HA knowing the next tun I will have cuirs.

I often just use cuirs for medics. As long as the other units are C2/3 your medic should always be last defender. Some people actually use scouts/chariots. Just be careful to have large enough stacks so your unit is not wiped out by an Ai stack. If you can get enough XP on a unit a warrior could be made supermedic with +1 movement. I think Anysense has right idea.

@Fippy

Warriors can be built until hunting was researched, another advantage of skipping Archery (if possible).
Chariots are a good pick for medics yup, 2-3 seems a bit excessive (most common armies have just 1 super medic with 3mp).

By "3mp" do you mean "3 Medic promotions" or 3 movement points (i.e. Morale)?

I believe My means 3 movement points with Morale promo, which one can usually get immediately with Char leaders, or the chariot having earned some XP already.

I would say it's fairly minor, but the non-unique units I sometimes like to build well past their heyday are: Pikemen, Airships, Scouts and Galleons.

- Pikemen may obsolete at rifling, but they don't truly obsolete from the battlefield until the AI gets gunships and their cavalry disappear. It's common for the AI to have leftover stacks of cavalry roaming around an otherwise infantry+ battlefield. Obviously, the main benefit of pikemen as opposed to riflemen is that you can build them and dedicate hammers to your war effort before you get Rifling. In the battlefield I find they have several small uses. If there's a lone horse or another very weak unit, it's generally a pikeman I use to mop that up. They're super vulnerable to counter attack, but that's exactly the point, I'm good with trading a 60:hammers: unit to knock out an AI's 120:hammers: unit. I wouldn't want to lose a rifleman or something in this manner, and I generally don't want to slow down the entire stack or weaken the attacking push to provide adequate defenders just to mop up one unit. Pikemen can also make ideal city defenders in some modern situations, where the city is likely safe from enemy attack and is at most potentially vulnerable to an errant horse running its way. It's also common after a big stack battle against a city to have a couple super weak leftover defending units after your first attacker withdrew/failed. A 60:hammers: pike is as good at cleaning up an injured 3 str unit as an infantry is. And of course they're good as late game happy police after you've added some more AI cities to your own and cheaper units are unbuildable.
:spear:

- Scouts: These aren't meaningfully improved when upgraded to "explorers" as their main benefit is just being a 2-mover, so I may build one of these to scout the AIs / as a super medic.
- Airships: I am not a fan of an air force (results in even exchanges with the AI), but the scouting from these guys is without parallel. So even if the enemy is going to have fighters I may want 1-2 airships just to scout. The slight dmg they do is also enough to tip the scales of a 50/50 fight assuming it's away from intercept units.
- Galleons: I'm not a fan of navies (results in even exchanges with the AI). My navy is primarily just to transport units over. The strength of a transport compared to a galleon is basically irrelevant - both will get mopped up by an enemy destroyer. Not only can galleons be prepared long before transports, but at 80:hammers: for 3 cargo compared to 125:hammers: for 4 cargo they compare favorably to transports at a 26.7:hammers:/cargo cost vs a 31.25:hammers:/cargo. Transports have 5 movement speed compared to 4 with galleons, which may or may not matter at all, and makes even less of a difference with circumnavigation/refrigeration.

I avoid scouts as medic, 3mp (yup i meant movement @jmas ) makes them outstanding cleanup & plunder units.
Plus they can be upgraded for free. If they defend in a full stack that means i'm in so much trouble that it might be helpful, ot saves another unit anyways.

I avoid scouts as medic, 3mp (yup i meant movement @jmas ) makes them outstanding cleanup & plunder units.
Scouts can pillage?

Recently I've got ~100G from a single tile. Unfortunately mines and special resource improvements are not lucrative targets, only high level cottages...

And still it is not clear: if I conquer a city should I keep advancements? I find particularly stupid to cut single road path: it is dangerous to send Workers to repair an area / too much hassle and I need the road to keep the speed of military advancement...

Scouts can't pillage. One reason My avoids using them.

as their main benefit is just being a 2-mover, so I may build one of these to scout the AIs
I don't know why but I always forget about their 2-movement and stupidly wait for Chariot for scouting just when borders are opened...

What other units are important to prebuild before they obsolete? It is something I have to worry about?

In standard BTS games, people usually upgrade HA/WE for Cuirs, or pre-build trebs and upgrade them to cannons. Or pre-build some UUs who keep their promotions after upgrading.
In some scenarios or competitive games, the situation might depend on the goals of the game. There is an old succesion game in which people must build at least 4 warriors, which means if one doesn't build 4 warriors before they become obsolete, the game will suffer some negative results.

Chariots or HAs are good candidates for great medics. But in some unlucky cases (example: you don't have Horse and cannot get it through trade), you may not want to wait for capturing horse and have to build a scout for medic. Such unlucky situation has happened in a recent NC game - the only horse in your continent is at your neighbour's capital.

Something I like to do is to build some maces, give them city raider 2/3, and then upgrade them to grenadiers or rifles. CR3 rifles are crazy tough!

Believe you can also get city guardian 3 machine guns in a similar way, by upgrading crossbows.

Otherwise it's the more usual stuff, of building warriors for MP duty before they obsolete. Lacking hunting is great for that, or trading away your metal if that is safe (or not road it, if it's not riverside). I also like to have some airships. Usually not a big problem that those obsolete, though. It's very late game. However, having some of those for pure scouting duties is great. They can be upgraded to fighters, but I recently learned the hard way that fighters basically suck. At least they did for me.

For the last while I've been going down the Woodsman route for healers. Send a few Warriors out, win a fight or three with animals to get to Woodsman 1 or 2, then cross your fingers fighting barbarian Warriors/Archers in forests. When they get to Woodsman 3, walk them home through forest and jungle.

Those are stuck at 1 move for a while (unless you play as Shaka and can upgrade to Impis) but I like having the +15% healing of Woody3, as opposed to +10% from Medic I and II.

Something I like to do is to build some maces, give them city raider 2/3, and then upgrade them to grenadiers or rifles. CR3 rifles are crazy tough!

Hell yeah, those 3CR gunpowder infantry become as precious as rubies after you obsolete pikes and maces! I usually still have a few around by the time I get to Mech Infantry, especially when I play as CHM leaders.

Airships for recon are another unit I keep around after it's obsolete. I also generally keep my GG medic units un-upgraded so that they're only the strongest unit in the stack if the stack is going to be destroyed anyway.

I am not a fan of an air force (results in even exchanges with the AI)

Do you stack ground units with intercept chance to stop AI bombers from decimating you with collateral damage or do you just win games before the AI gets flight?

Top Bottom