Supremacy VC Back to Earth?

Any word whether we will actually control our supremacy units as they liberate an earth map? Thanks.
Nope, no control. There's no actual playable battle on Earth.

Sadly, we will only be sending X Units through a Warpgate and surviving X Turns from what I have heard.

It sounds like something they are probably leaving open for themselves to put in as a scenario later, though.

Sadly, we will only be sending X Units through a Warpgate and surviving X Turns from what I have heard.

It is probably similar to the Mind Flower in that it has a certain amount of points needed (read the Mind Stem tooltips in MadD's stream) and you can speed up your point accumulation by sending more military units through.

When BE comes out, I'm sure someone will combine Civ V and BE assets and mod in a Supremacy vs Earth scenario.

When BE comes out, I'm sure someone will combine Civ V and BE assets and mod in a Supremacy vs Earth scenario.

Someone is likely to do a mirror mod to that in Civ V as well.

The ships left Earth around 2250, and arrived at the alien planet around 2600, having been in transit for almost 400 years. Why do people assume that Earth will still be primitive in c.2900 when you get around to opening the warp gate? If anything, the Earthlings should be 350 years more advanced than the colonists.

It's also a bit odd that Earth is frequently said to be "dying" and yet humans are still there 800 years later.

The ships left Earth around 2250, and arrived at the alien planet around 2600, having been in transit for almost 400 years. Why do people assume that Earth will still be primitive in c.2900 when you get around to opening the warp gate? If anything, the Earthlings should be 350 years more advanced than the colonists.

It's also a bit odd that Earth is frequently said to be "dying" and yet humans are still there 800 years later.

The resource shortage can be a break in technology development, the so called Inflection Point can cause Earth 2900 to be as advanced as Earth nowadays, maybe worse. Humans may be there but with very lower life quality

The resource shortage can be a break in technology development, the so called Inflection Point can cause Earth 2900 to be as advanced as Earth nowadays, maybe worse. Humans may be there but with very lower life quality
Pretty much.

It's pretty odd that a bunch of random English colonists (~ 1 million in 1700) managed to became the top economic superpower in late 19th century, in 20th century surpassing motherland (and thousands - years - old - civlisations) in all categories :p

Damn, it was 'just' separate continent and here what can happen in enough crazy circumstances - and in BE Earth has terrible resource/environment/war problems while space colonists land on a planet rich in absolutely unique resources and knowledge.

I definitely can imagine all these weapons of mass destruction, environmental problems and ending resources (what will happen to the Middle East once oil ends?) causing grand problems on Earth divided on few military superpowers... While beyond Earth (duh) the elite of humanity is free from old restrictions and manages to achieve technological level simply impossible to get on Earth (especially once alien Planet in BE has some semi - magical stuff :lol: )

Given human ingenuity and survival instinct, I would not put it beyond the survivors on Earth to come up with innovative, creative and as yet unimagined ways to circumvent their situation and continue to thrive in some ways. The Supremacy mechanoid horde may arrive to find a planet full of transcendental beings who have evolved via genetic means to alter human identity and the environment to their best advantage. Perhaps Earth's humans will have developed telepathy, teleportation and similar psychic solutions to overcome the shortage of mineral resources on the planet. Possibly we will learn more than one way to get off planet, colonize our solar system and move beyond it...

Who's to say? I leave all possibilities open. Fill in the blanks yourself.

You have a point. Maybe they'll be an BE planet vs. Earth scenario (a la RedFaction Guerilla or Zone of the Enders Fist of Mars). Maybe some Malevolent Superpower emerges on Earth and the Supremacy Robot Army gets a nasty surprise.

It's pretty odd that a bunch of random English colonists (~ 1 million in 1700) managed to became the top economic superpower in late 19th century, in 20th century surpassing motherland (and thousands - years - old - civlisations) in all categories
I totally get that -- the adventurers advance much more quickly than the homebodies -- but I think the outcome might have been different if the Jamestown colonists had been in stasis for 400 years and arrived in the New World in 2007.

Anyhow, my larger point is.... issues regarding Earth are best left abstracted, because the more detail you try to add to the situation on Earth, the more you're exposing the gaping holes in the story. Best to avoid that as much as possible.

I totally get that -- the adventurers advance much more quickly than the homebodies -- but I think the outcome might have been different if the Jamestown colonists had been in stasis for 400 years and arrived in the New World in 2007.
I thought we'd had this discussion somewhere. I'm not seeing any hole. It's a matter of resources: without them, technology on Earth would become stagnant and even difficult to maintain at a certain level.

Science would have its hands full just trying to prevent regressions.

So in the 400 years it'd take the colonists to reach the new planet(s), or even the 1000 it'd take them to come back and say hi, there might very well not have been much in the way of significant progress on the homeworld.

It's a matter of resources: without them, technology on Earth would become stagnant and even difficult to maintain at a certain level.
Since when has technological advancement been tied to availability of resources? It seems to me that scarcity is just as likely (or more likely) to drive advancement out of necessity as it is to slow development.

Since when has technological advancement been tied to availability of resources? It seems to me that scarcity is just as likely (or more likely) to drive advancement out of necessity as it is to development.

The Type of technological advancement will be driven by the availability of resources.. unlike in civ games you don't develop iron working without Iron.

The technology on Earth will be behind because it is focused on maintaining... they are probably doing that very well and have some impressive technology, but when faced with technology developed with resources that are not present on late 3rd millennium Earth (abundant petroleum, Titanium..as well as Floatstone/Firaxite/ and xenomass,,, as well as aliens capable of attacking modern infantry) That technology will be massively more successful at attack.

Since when has technological advancement been tied to availability of resources? It seems to me that scarcity is just as likely (or more likely) to drive advancement out of necessity as it is to slow development.
Where would we be today without iron, coal and petroleum, and no analogues? Who knows. As I said, science would most likely be spending most of its efforts trying to come up with replacement materials and efficiency techniques to maintain the same level of technological development. Machinery requires more and more specific (and varied) components the more advanced it is. So while you can build a shack out of straw, wood, bamboo or leather, the same can't be said about electronic computers and automotive vehicles. Not to mention technology we won't see for another 100-200 years.

I'm sure human ingenuity would come up with innovative solutions, but only to a point, considering the massive disadvantage critical resource shortage imposes. The fact basic 22nd century Soldiers (instead of Pikemen or Musketmen) can come out of the Exodus Gate by the end of the game is nothing short of a monumental achievement by part of the Earthlings.

Supremacy starts gating in ANGELs. Humanity makes a last ditch effort to finish their Giant Death Robots (piloted by angsty teens) to stand against the invasion.

Top Bottom