• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Switzerland and Germany are dominating! (ve got ze best cities!)

I find it hard to believe that Dublin is higher than any American city for expats.

Having lived in #32 and #41 as an expat I have to agree with their ranking.

Amsterdam beat Brussels :)

Strange ranking system.
It appears not to value personal privacy much.
It appears not to value the freedom provided by the automobile.
It appears not to value weather very much.

My ranking would weight each of those very highly, and I prefer a warm climate.

Where is Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA, for instance?
Where is Austin or San Antonio?
Washington DC? haha
Try Wilmington, NC.

Pffft!!

Canada has almost as many cities as Germany in the top 30, and we have less than half the population. We also have waaayyyy less than half the significantly-sized cities.

Stupid Germany. :mischief:

Strange ranking system.
It appears not to value slavery to the automobile.

Fixed it for you.

Why are American (As in the US) cities ranked so low?

Crappy public transport? More crime? :confused:

Many of the cities on the list, and certainly all of the cities in Canada, Germany, Switzerland, are in my bottom 25 list, if measuring by climate only. And climate should be weighted heavily.

It's like saying Minneapolis is an awesome city. Um, maybe but it's in Minnesota, so it needs to come off the list.

I wonder how the swine flu will influence these stats :devil:

Many of the cities on the list, and certainly all of the cities in Canada, Germany, Switzerland, are in my bottom 25 list, if measuring by climate only. And climate should be weighted heavily.

It's like saying Minneapolis is an awesome city. Um, maybe but it's in Minnesota, so it needs to come off the list.

Do you know anything about Vancouver's climate? It is pretty sweet.

Calgary is actually pretty sweet too. We get chinooks throughout the winter, meaning you get bouts of +15C (modern measurement units) every December, January, February, etc. Summers in Calgary are wicked too, and the air is super-clean!

I must admit that Vienna is awsome. But these Austrians... :cry::p

I don't think I have ever heard the Austrians being complimented on their friendliness, that's for sure.

Whats wrong with Germany and Switzerlands climate? They have very nice summers from what I hear. Snow in winter and sun in summer, I wish Ireland had that climate. Beats rain all year.

We had a heatwave last week. High of 18C and there were people sunbathing outside my apartment. I'm not joking.

Climate preference is subjective but a majority consensus can be reached I think. I prefer warm/hot climate with 4 distinct seasons, with long summers and short winters, average rainfall and humidity. I would weight this preference heavily, though I could compromise on what is the bar to compare each city to. This list appears not to weight climate much, or perhaps at all, and certainly not to my preference of warm/hot.

Whats wrong with Germany and Switzerlands climate? They have very nice summers from what I hear. Snow in winter and sun in summer, I wish Ireland had that climate. Beats rain all year.

We had a heatwave last week. High of 18C and there were people sunbathing outside my apartment. I'm not joking.

Americans seem to think a god-forsaken swamp like Florida is a nice climate.

California was nice once too... until 37 million Californians decided to all drive cars everywhere. Smog = crappy weather.

I know that Toronto and Columbus are not my cup of tea.

I think I got my point across about climate. The list should weigh it more heavily, and with more of a preference towards a bit warmer and a bit drier.

Now on to, population density, city living, and public transport. The list weighs this heavily, and it should. The list has a bias here though. It does not at all value having the practical option to drive and own an automobile. It does not even consider, for example, the value of owning a Jetta or a Ford F150 pickup truck, and having a big garage to park it outside of. In the garage, of course, is all your lawn equipment, bikes, tools, your wife's SUV. Out back, you got the pool, a couple acres. All of the kids run around the neighborhood until dark.

Does the list value these things? Cuz I do. I don't want my kids growing up in some Tokyo high rise.

It is actually possible to own and drive a car in a european city. In those three which have a petrol station that is...

I think I got my point across about climate. The list should weigh it more heavily, and with more of a preference towards a bit warmer and a bit drier.

Now on to, population density, city living, and public transport. The list weighs this heavily, and it should. The list has a bias here though. It does not at all value having the practical option to drive and own an automobile. It does not even consider, for example, the value of owning a Jetta or a Ford F150 pickup truck, and having a big garage to park it outside of. In the garage, of course, is all your lawn equipment, bikes, tools, your wife's SUV. Out back, you got the pool, a couple acres. All of the kids run around the neighborhood until dark.

Does the list value these things? Cuz I do. I don't want my kids growing up in some Tokyo high rise.

Sounds to me like you don't want to live in a city then.

Top Bottom