Sword Of The Stars on Impulse

I have not found the need for much scrolling in any game that comes to mind. I even have to scroll around for the same tree as to keep the text from overlapping you have to zoom quite a bit.

You cannot even see the adjacent trees to any degree. Again it is not a killer, but is not a pleasure either.

Pax had lots of techs, so does civ and Moo3. No scrolling to just pick the next one. Yes, if you want to see all that has been learned, but you seldom do that.

In civ or Moo you can win with few units or win by pumping them out. The thing is that I can find other things that make it attractive to play. In Civ and Moo2 or 3 you have towns or planets with infrastrcture that improving has some appeal and feedback.

Even Moo1 you get a terra tech and apply it and you can see the planet get bigger. In Sots it really is hidden and not appealing to get a terra improvement. Useful, but not very visable. Granted that may just be my perspective.

I also enjoy the getting out of a hole, that is why I like Sid or AW in civ3 with 30 civs.

Funny as it seemed to me that many of the responses to how does it work or can I do this was check the wiki. Think something was not working right and report it as a nit, they say it is just an fyi anyway? What, it is too much trouble to even acknowledge it should be corrected? Not doing the correction, just saying yeah we see it.

The other response was to check the list of issues, like it is my job to wade through a long list or make the devs job easier. I did not see any checks coming from them. All I wanted to do was to report a possible confusing vocal. The final response was well watch the ticker and get the correct info.

I do not watch the ticker, it is too slow. Some of the alerts are audibles that I key on and one is incorrect. It was not even a gentle you can see the info on the ticker. It was more like, what the heck are you listening to the audible dummy, watch the ticker that is what is is for.

Hum, I thought I was the one putting up money to buy their product. I guess they told me a thing or two.

You may be reading more tone into Mecron's reply than was actually there. There is no 'dummy' or anything approaching it in his message. It looked more like a gentle you can see the info on the ticker (or in the event list) to me. Of course, interpreting tone in print on the internet is not always easy.

That's not to say the devs are always friendly, they won't put up with much in the way of crap. But I didn't see any snark from them in that series of posts.

Perception is reality. It is one thing for me to not worry about my responses being misprecieved, it is another for the representatives.

Not really; people are people everywhere, and they are not trying to act like PR shills because they want a more open dialogue with their fanbase than that.

Not seeing how one would need to act like a shill or how you avoid being a the face for the company as an admin or a dev on the company board. Just be circumspect, that ought to do the trick.

The alternative is to drive off people, regardless of how they did or did not intend to be recieved. From my perspective, you may be too close to see things as outsiders may. Understand it is not my view that they were extreme or even close. Just dismissive, something I find offensive.

They just were not interested in how they were seen. It is not costing them anything as I am not going around posting elsewhere or even bashing the game here. Anyway I would say it is a dead horse, with more than enough whipping.

I read one of the events was putting on a live play for SoTs2. Not sure if is going to IEM NY or where, but I read it on an LoL site where LoL was one of the cash contest matches.

Edit it was IGN PRO

vmxa -- do you have a link? I'm curious about that.

UNIT666 -- there is a lot of lore and backstory to SotS, and while a lot of gameplay concepts that appear in SotS will resurface in SotS2, the focus of the games will be a bit different as SotS is all about first contact whereas SotS2 is more about what happens once the various races have been around for a while and gotten to know one another. Moreover, Kerberos is not aiming to produce the same game with a graphical update and a few extra bells and whistles, so I wouldn't expect that SotS2 will instantly make SotS1 entirely pointless and obsolete. I wouldn't discount getting SotS just because SotS2 is coming out soon.

Thanks vmxa.

SotS 2 was originally scheduled for release on Sept 20 so they might have been planning to offer a live gameplay stream of that, but unless they have a line with the developers they will probably have to cancel since it's now out for Oct 28. If they do have a line with Kerberos they will probably get a demo to stream rather than a full live gameplay session.

It is pretty common for publishers to bring their current project to these events, if it is expected to be released fairly soon. What level of readiness I have no clue. Diablo III and Dominion have already been at prior event such as Pax.

Dominion just went live, but I think Diablo is still a ways off as the beta is still going. It is also quite possible that things could fall through.

Yeah Diablo 3 should be around Q1 2012 I think. Certainly it won't be this year, they've already said as much.

Top Bottom