Syracuse Civilization lead by Archimedes

PonderThis

Warlord
Description
IntroScreenClip.jpg

Leader: Archimedes
Trait: The Great Mathematician, Physicist, Engineer, Inventor, and Astronomer
Every turn that starts with a boostable technology being researched that has not been bosted has a 5% chance of a Eureka! moment resulting in that boost.
Protip: Whenever you can, have a second boostable technology selected in the tech tree so that when the current tech finishes you don't waste that turn by having no boostable tech selected and thus no chance of a random boost.

Civilization: Syracuse of Magna Graeca
Trait: Fountain of Arethusa
The Fountain of Arethusa is the fresh water fountain is the place where the nymph Arethusa, the patron figure of ancient Syracuse, returned to earth's surface after escaping from her undersea home in Arcadia. This fountain provides fresh water in every Syracusan city.
Effect: Each city gets +1 Housing / +1 Amenity.

Unique Unit: Trireme
The Syracuse Trireme is a version of the galley that, because of its use of Archimedes' Screw, is both larger and has a longer range than the basic galley. It is, however, slightly more expensive than a galley.
Specifically: Movement of 4 (+1 over the galley), Combat of 40 (+15 over the galley), Cost of 75 (+10 over the galley).

Unique District: Defended Harbor
Archimedes' claw and heat ray create formidable harbor defences. These defenses upgrade with walls and castles along with the encampment.
Specifically: The defended harbor has the same ranged attack and fortified defence as the encampment.

Trivia
I had a lot of fun researching the names used in this mod. The city names are all location and era appropriate. Most are direct colonies of Syracuse while a few are other nearby Greek colonies on the island of Sicily. The people names are all pretty much assorted Tyrants and their family members. In other words, whatever I could scour from wikipedia.

Notes
This mod is fully playable. I've played it several times now and it behaves exactly the way I want. It just has a couple of graphic problems with the Defended Harbor unique district I have not been able to solve.

Banner
The game shows the encampment icon in the banner instead of the harbor. It seems to me I should be able to fix this by overriding certain functionality in CityBannerManager.lua. However, (1) I can't figure out how to override this file, and (2) its behavior is tied to CityBannerManager.xml (as defined in InGame.xml). I've tried overriding both the lua and the xml to no effect. Any lua experts know how to do this?

3D Model
The actual graphics for the harbor itself have disappeared. Nothing at all appears. I'm guessing the banner confuses the system and so it just gives up trying to draw the harbor at all. I have had zero luck even finding out where this happens, let alone a way to fix it.

So there we go. If anyone knows how to fix either of these issues, or even have an idea of where to look, be sure to let me know.

EDIT: Updated zip file June 16, see post below.

Attachments

• Archimedes of Syracuse.zip
    9.6 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
One more graphic problem: When you play as another civ and have Syracuse as an AI civ, the diplomacy screen does not show Archimedes but instead selects an apparently random other civ leader to show. This should be an easy one but again I'm not sure what I've missed. Anyone know what I've missed here?

EDIT: Problem solved.

Last edited:
I've solved a couple of the graphics problems I had and managed to shrink the zip file in the process (the LEADER_etc.dds goes in the Textures directory and does not get included in the .blp while the FALLBACK_NEUTRAL_etc.dds is the other way around). That leaves me with the funky-looking but completely functional Defended Harbor unique district.

Harbor graphics issues aside, I really do find this a fun civ to play. I'd appreciate any feedback at all from anyone who'd like to just test it out.

Regarding the model for the harbour not showing in game. You need to add artdefs and xlps for the new district. If you look at one of the existing mods that adds a unique district (Mali civilization is a good example) you can see that there are artdefs for the District, Landmarks and StrategicView. You also need to create sprites for your district or grab the existing sprites for the harbour from the civi assets (if you have them downloaded).

Thanks for pointing me at that, gT! After looking at Mali and then the resource pantry I can see this will be a bit of work. And of course nothing with Civ VI modding is as simple as it first appears so this could take a few weeks or so ...

Yeah. Am creating a Mongolia leader pack which has a unique district and this threw me for a while. Was only after looking at other mods that I figured out what I was missing. Good luck with your Syracuse mod.

Top Bottom