System crash from DirectX update?

bowervt

Chieftain
Hello everyone. I'm reeeeally hoping that someone can help me with my installation troubles.

I bought CIV5 a few days ago, installed everything, ran with no problems for about 3 hours. Then I went to shut down my computer, and I got the "Windows is installing updates 1 of 3" page. Was a little upset because I have auto-updates turned off. Anyway, when I restarted my computer on Friday, I got the Windows Vista Blue Screen of Death, and had to do 2 system restores just to get windows started. Today I tried to re-install, and I realized that after pressing install, it says that it's installing DirectX9, then jumps to 11. I thought this may be the problem, so after DX installed, I shut down my computer, and sure enough got the Windows Update thing, followed by blue screen of death and then another system restore (woopdedo...)

So it looks like my problem is the DirectX update. But I already have DirectX10 installed, so is there any way to bypass that part of the installation? Or has anyone had this problem and found a solution? I really appreciate the help. Below is my system info:

Dell Studio 1737
Windows Vista SP2, 64-Bit
DirectX 10
Intel Core 2 Duo T6600, 2.2 GHz
4GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

As I said before, I was able to install and run for 3 hours or so without trouble. Just the system crash after restart.

Thanks for the support!

I'm not sure, I guess I could try again and take a picture.

It only was up for a few seconds, then the system repair window came up.

I haven't tried the patch yet, I'm working to install all the windows updates first to make sure there aren't compatibility issues there.

Here's the windows problem report from my original crash:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini092610-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: a
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 000000000000000C
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF800022B6EE1
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 69ddc639-04dd-43b2-bd48-e4885a229392

I can't get this darn game to work!!!!!

Every time I try to run, it asks whether I want to "Play Civ V" or "Play Civ V (DirectX9)". No matter what I choose, it says "Installing DirectX 11".

My video card IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH DIRECTX 11!!!!!!

It crashes my computer on restart.

Direct X 11 is not listed as a system requirement.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME MICROSOFT!!!!!

Any ideas??

Top Bottom