Taking a city

web25

Warlord
Civ 3 player here. When taking a city how does resistance work. Should i starve the city or build settlers? I cant find anything googling.+

A city doesn't actually go into resistance when you capture it. At least in Civ 6, it doesn't.

There are war weariness penalties that are likely applying to the newly captured city. Open the city panel and seek the amenities breakdown and the loyalty breakdown (they are on different tabs).

As soon as you capture the city you can choose to raze or keep it, as you've probably noticed. If it was previously a city state it can be liberated.

You'll not be building settlers as soon as you capture it. I don't know what that's supposed to achieve in Civ 3, but it won't work here.

If you're asking how to keep it from revolting, you have a combination of options to keep loyalty positive. Generally you want to consider those options before planning an invasion.

I cannot agree.

Captured city is considered as occupied and will get penalty to yields until you take them via peace deal (cede city) or kill civ completely. In such a city also swapping tiles / buying tiles is forbidden.

Also note after a city is officially ceded, it would still get loyality penalty depending on greviances toward that civ - so in some cases occupied city is more loyal than ceded.

Also a little trick - if you allow city to turn into free city, and take it, it would not be occupied anymore

I cannot agree.

Captured city is considered as occupied and will get penalty to yields until you take them via peace deal (cede city) or kill civ completely. In such a city also swapping tiles / buying tiles is forbidden.

Also note after a city is officially ceded, it would still get loyality penalty depending on greviances toward that civ - so in some cases occupied city is more loyal than ceded.

Also a little trick - if you allow city to turn into free city, and take it, it would not be occupied anymore
I meant it didn't actually go into resistance like they did in previous Civilization games, but I see your point.

I'm still waiting for the option to sacrifice my own pops to rush production (as in Civ 4) to eventually appear in the steam workshop. I'm reminded of this because OP makes it sound like you control resistance in Civ 3 by reducing Pops.

That's also an idea for an early pre-classical government type. Chiefdom is boring.

I should have said build workers/settlers in civ 3 to prevent flipping and allowing new citizens to become your native civ

Im still new to 6 and was just wondering if its worth keeping a captured city.

I should have said build workers/settlers in civ 3 to prevent flipping and allowing new citizens to become your native civ

Population in Civ 6 is not broken down by different nationalities. I hope we get them in Civ 7.

There's no concept of "Native Citizens" as opposed to citizens from other cultures. Displeasure with the occupier is abstracted in different ways.

It's generally a good idea to keep conquered cities, though not always.

As a new player I'd keep them. If you're playing Vanilla there's no loyalty to worry about. If you're playing the expansions, then losing your own cities to loyalty pressure is a good way of learning how loyalty works.

Captured city is considered as occupied and will get penalty to yields until you take them via peace deal (cede city) or kill civ completely.

I think thats how it works in Vanilla. But after R&F introduced loyalty to the game this was changed at some point (at least for GS, I didnt play with thr R&F ruleset for ages so I dont have clue how it works there nowadays). The yield penalties are not tied to occupation any longer instead they are based on the loyalty of a city.

I think thats how it works in Vanilla. But after R&F introduced loyalty to the game this was changed at some point (at least for GS, I didnt play with thr R&F ruleset for ages so I dont have clue how it works there nowadays). The yield penalties are not tied to occupation any longer instead they are based on the loyalty of a city.
I think it being occupied lowers its loyalty, and so indirectly affect yields. It seems that way to me at least, in my current game I had loyalty issues in Xi'an despite being quite far away from Kublai's only other remaining city Chengdu and being closer to another of his cities that I'd occupied. All the loyalty issues went away once I took Chengdu, although that would be expected regardless.

What version of the game do you play: vanilla or with expansions (Rise&Fall and Gathering Storm)?

In most cases it is definitely worth keeping a captured city, unless you're unable to hold it or have too many to care anyway.

Captured city is considered as occupied and will get penalty to yields until you take them via peace deal (cede city) or kill civ completely.

That can be misleading if OP isn't playing with Gathering Storm. Asking the AI to cede the city isn't what removes the occupied status, which is removed by the peace deal itself, it doesn't matter if the AI ceded the city to you or not. In GS, we're forced to ask the AI to cede the city, otherwise we have to return it, while asking to cede is optional in previous versions. the cede option merely applies the second half of the warmongering/grievances penalty you got when you conquered that city (only half the penalty is applied when you conquer it), so if OP is playing without GS, he shouldn't use the ask to cede option, it's useless.

I think it being occupied lowers its loyalty, and so indirectly affect yields. It seems that way to me at least, in my current game I had loyalty issues in Xi'an despite being quite far away from Kublai's only other remaining city Chengdu and being closer to another of his cities that I'd occupied. All the loyalty issues went away once I took Chengdu, although that would be expected regardless.

In GS, the occupied status gives you a -5 loyalty penalty that is countered by a garrison (+5). Both the occupied penalty and the garrison bonus is removed once you make peace. Taking Chengdu not only removed the occupied status, but it also removed the grievances loyalty penalty, since the dead can't hold a grudge. The grievances penalty was probably the main reason you was having loyalty issues there. It's also worth nothing that your city gets loyalty pressure from every city in range, so if there was another Civ aside from China in range of it, that would also reduce your loyalty there.

Making peace is a two edge sword for loyalty. It removes the occupied status and it reduces war weariness (amenities), but you also get more grievances once you ask the AI to cede the city. Grievances only decay while at peace though, so unless you're planning to eliminate the previous owner of the city, you have to take that grievances hit before you can start reducing that penalty. Alternatively, you can liberate cities to get a grievances reduction.

Top Bottom