Tech Quotes

Shakiko

Warlord
Helloes there;

Are you looking for someone to write down all those SMAC(x)-tech-quotes so you can implement them into the mod ?
Or is it forbidden to use them (copyright issues?) or do you want to wait until you are finished and thus sure, which techs actually make the cut into the mod ?

It's not really important (esp. for the gameplay), but imho would (re-)add alot of flavor to playing this game - especially if you also use SMAC's soundfiles.

The tech quotes are in blurbs.txt and blurbsx.txt, those are for the technologies. I think that they aren't written down for the base improvements sounds (mmm, Network Node song :D ) or the secret projects.

The texts do add flavour to the game. I think someone's said that sound files can be moved across (I don't remember all the ins and outs), I wondered (if the texts are ok to use, and if the texts for the new additions to the tech tree are worked out) if it might be worth recording new sounds, mainly to give the flavour to those without the original. Something for when the tech tree is finalised, probably.

Someone converting the SMAC tech quotes to Civ4 XML files would be helpful. :goodjob: Have a look at TextBlurbs.xml if you're interested. They're partly done. That file should be expanded upon.

To circumvent the issue of the tech tree nor being set in stone right now, the text strings are not named after the SMAC or Planetfall tech names they're used for. Rather they're given a number, which can be found in the SMAC file blurbsx.txt for instance. So this format should be followed if you want to fill in the (large) gaps.

In case you didn't know, if you add the SMAC soundfiles to Planetfall as described in the FAQ, you can already hear some voice quotes.

The First Contact greetings show up like that, because no txt strings have been added for them in an XML file. Investigate CIV4DiplomacyInfos.xml and TextDiplomacy.xml if you're interested in that. To be able to have the exact same diplomacy quotes as in SMAC though, SDK modifications will be required. I have other priorities, unless someone else decides to focus on diplomacy text, in which case I would switch priorities. ;)

Someone converting the SMAC tech quotes to Civ4 XML files would be helpful. :goodjob: Have a look at TextBlurbs.xml if you're interested. They're partly done. That file should be expanded upon.
Ok, did that - copied all tech quotes, inserted alot of paragraph and newline - tags to (hopefully!) make it readable. :) (see attached file)

Sadly I can't check for myself how it looks/reads ingame: The tech quotes when you research a new one are still the same for me.
I guess to change this you need to link the techquotes to the techs somehow ? (Like editing the "techtree-xml" to point to the right textfile? Or telling every tech where it should get its very own techquote from ?)

If you can help me out where exactly I can do that (and which of those 70ish techs from smac are actually used in Planetfall) and give me a short explanation on HOW to do that, I'll try to have a look into this during this week.
But be warned: I never did anything in xml before, so hopefully it's easy enough for a beginner :blush:)

Ok, did that - copied all tech quotes, inserted alot of paragraph and newline - tags to (hopefully!) make it readable. :) (see attached file)

That was fast! Will go in next patch. Thanks! :goodjob:

Sadly I can't check for myself how it looks/reads ingame: The tech quotes when you research a new one are still the same for me.
I guess to change this you need to link the techquotes to the techs somehow ? (Like editing the "techtree-xml" to point to the right textfile? Or telling every tech where it should get its very own techquote from ?)

You have to refer a tech to the corrext text string in <Quote> in CIV4TechInfos.xml.

(and which of those 70ish techs from smac are actually used in Planetfall)

Only a minority use the exact same name. The Planetfall and SMAC tech tree share the same themes though, so for many quotes it's easy to find a fit. It's certainly my intention to use all quotes if possible.
There's an Excel file included in the Planetfall download: TechTreeManiac.xls. The 'construct' tab is up to date. At least the tech names and the x,y positions are. The comments mentioning the prereqs aren't at the moment. So anyway, that's an easy overview of the tech tree without needing to fire up a game.

For the record I attached another Excel file, which I used some 11 months ago to connect some of the techs to quotes. Being eleven months ago, it's kinda outdated of course. So I'd need to update it to be useful in quote planning.

@Techlist: Oi, good to know there are 88 techs. I actually stopped after 76 in the last file - will try to get it to you soon, but I just got home and it's alreay 10pm over here. So it might take another day for an updated techblurb.xml.

[edit2]
Working on it, will provide a new techblurb.xml and civ4techinfo.xml soon.

Could you check your PM please, as there were some new questions :(
PS: the attached file is outdated by now, I just don't know how to remove that.

Top Bottom