Tech Tree Editor

yeah i start with alt-f6 and get nothing too

(also the screen is missing everything except the world, as in no commands are visible)

*i use mac*

Sebiche said:
yeah i start with alt-f6 and get nothing too

(also the screen is missing everything except the world, as in no commands are visible)

*i use mac*

Sebiche, the tech tree editor is only for the windows release version... you will need to recompile the provided C++ into the mac equivalent of a windows DLL.

This is awesome TheLopez! :goodjob:

Where can I get information on what your plans are for the Civilizeditor? (iow, what do you intend on tackling, what aren't you going to tackle, etc). I personally am getting sick of having ideas and little ability :(

crap!
if it wasnt for the fact that this computer works so freaking well i would have thrown it away.

thanks thelopez

Watiggi said:
This is awesome TheLopez! :goodjob:

Where can I get information on what your plans are for the Civilizeditor? (iow, what do you intend on tackling, what aren't you going to tackle, etc). I personally am getting sick of having ideas and little ability :(

Watiggi,

Here is what I have planned for the Civilizeditor... basically I am going to attempt to make UI interfaces for ALL of the XML files in the game.

Here is the current version breakdown:
v0.1:
- CIV4TechInfos.XML
- CIV4UnitInfos.XML
- CIV4UnitClassInfos.XML
- CIV4SpecialUnitInfos.XML
- CIV4FormationInfos.XML
- CIV4PromotionInfos.xml
- CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml

v0.2:
- CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml
- CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
- CIV4BuildingClassInfos.xml
- CIV4SpecialBuildingInfos

v0.3:
- CIV4ArtDefines_Bonus.xml
- CIV4ArtDefines_Improvement.xml
- CIV4BonusClassInfos.xml
- CIV4BonusInfos.xml
- CIV4ImprovementInfos.xml
- CIV4YieldInfos.xml

TheLopez said:
Watiggi,

Here is what I have planned for the Civilizeditor... basically I am going to attempt to make UI interfaces for ALL of the XML files in the game.

Here is the current version breakdown:
v0.1:
- CIV4TechInfos.XML
- CIV4UnitInfos.XML
- CIV4UnitClassInfos.XML
- CIV4SpecialUnitInfos.XML
- CIV4FormationInfos.XML
- CIV4PromotionInfos.xml
- CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml

v0.2:
- CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml
- CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
- CIV4BuildingClassInfos.xml
- CIV4SpecialBuildingInfos

v0.3:
- CIV4ArtDefines_Bonus.xml
- CIV4ArtDefines_Improvement.xml
- CIV4BonusClassInfos.xml
- CIV4BonusInfos.xml
- CIV4ImprovementInfos.xml
- CIV4YieldInfos.xml

Awesome, truly an awesome undertaking. Are you planning on having them set up as standlone editors, or one tabbed editor a la Civ III?

I am really curious how you plan on setting up a wonder/improvement to auto-produce units. For me, that would be the toughest part, since I believe that would mean your editor would in turn be altering base C++ or Python code, not XML files.

BTW, this thing looks gorgeous.

TheLopez,
You are very generous to share your work, talent, skill, and time with us.
Thanks.

Out of curiosity, where do terrain definitions live? Would they ever be easily augmented?

You should have written in current user title - Godlike :bowdown:

Very good job with the editor - you make the things the firaxis should make in vanilla .... When the Civilization editor will be ready i hope there will be more cool mods soon :D

In conjunction with this editor, there needs to be a mod that gives hundreds of new XML tags to traits, units, buildings, etc so that there is a whole level of ability to mod just by using XML. Having that and this editor capable of using it would put modding onto a whole new level. Nice work TheLopez :)

Having followed the development of this mod from its early days, I can say that it was almost perfect from its first release. Since then, it has simply gotten better-with lots of cool bells and whistles thrown in ;). Truly this modcomp proves what a genius TheLopez is, and I am honoured to have been asked to test this mod for him :).

Aussie_Lurker.

Men, I cant wait for this CIVEDITOR of you! Saw in the main page, and man, i you can finish before the next Expension, they should put it there!!

Great work, keep going really!

yep i agree - it's a must have in next expansion - and they should give you a bag of money for that - it's worth that much

First of all, I have posted new versions that include the missing code and a couple of bug fixes.

strategyonly said:
Maybe i put it in the wrong place, lets start in the beginning, i open the zip file and_______?????
Which version are you using? Warlords or Vanilla?

asioasioasio said:
yep i agree - it's a must have in next expansion - and they should give you a bag of money for that - it's worth that much
Thanks, I might be biased but I agree.

Watiggi said:
In conjunction with this editor, there needs to be a mod that gives hundreds of new XML tags to traits, units, buildings, etc so that there is a whole level of ability to mod just by using XML. Having that and this editor capable of using it would put modding onto a whole new level. Nice work TheLopez :)
Watiggi, I am planning on putting out a special version of the Civilizeditor that includes as many of the new custom tags that have been released here at CFC.

I_batman said:
Awesome, truly an awesome undertaking. Are you planning on having them set up as standlone editors, or one tabbed editor a la Civ III?

I am really curious how you plan on setting up a wonder/improvement to auto-produce units. For me, that would be the toughest part, since I believe that would mean your editor would in turn be altering base C++ or Python code, not XML files.

BTW, this thing looks gorgeous.
Well they are going to be integrated into one editor, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. This way you can go and define a tech, define a unit, add the new tech as a prereq tech for the new unit, etc, etc, etc. What do you mean by "setting up a wonder/improvement to auto-produce units"?

50caliber said:
AWESOME! How can I play this with 24 or more civs?
50caliber, this is not a mod per se, it is a utility to help make mods, so again, why would you want to play this with 24 or more civs?

Random thought -- you know what would be really cool? Once you finish with the full Civilizeditor, we could append the whole tech tree from Alpha Centauri onto the end of the Civ 4 tree. Add another 300 turns to the game, and you're off and running!

thelopez, Im not a modder, but Ive wanted to play warlords for a long time, with the ability to have the techs stop at whatever time period I choose. Your tech tree editor has enabled me to do that. I would like to be able to play this with, for example, civ gold, or rhye's 24 map for warlords, hence the need for 24 or more civs. Thanks for the editor, it makes warlords 100,000 more fun.

TheLopez said:
Well they are going to be integrated into one editor, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. This way you can go and define a tech, define a unit, add the new tech as a prereq tech for the new unit, etc, etc, etc. What do you mean by "setting up a wonder/improvement to auto-produce units"?

In Civ III, the editor (in Improvements and Wonders Tab) would allow a wonder to auto-produce units (lower right corner of the window, and you could select the type of unit and frequency it was produced).

Certain of the scenarios that came with vanilla Civ IV had python script that had units being autoproduced, so it was hardcoded into the scenario, not something that could be altered in separate XML files.

I curious how you plan on getting your editor to alter existing python or C++ code. One can edit the XML files and add flags to describe this functionality in a wonder/improvement, but how do you get the base code of the game engine to check for those flags?

I used to build a form of editor in Perl that would alter text files and other Perl scripts, but nothing as sophisticated as what I am talking about for Civ IV.

Then again, you are 100 times the coder I am, so I am sure you will figure it out, or have already figured it out.

And now is the time to celebrate the first part of your editor, and let you do your thing with the rest of the editor in peace and quiet. And this thread is about the tech editor, and I am getting way O/T.

Great job!

Top Bottom