Terra Colonization

MidnightRambler

The Streetwalkin Cheetah
There seems to be an inaccuracy in the colonization aspect of the game. If you colonize the 'new world' on the terra maps, youll eventually find yourself in debt underneath the heavy price of maitenence and distance. Besides possible resource selling, it doesnt seem to me like colonization in civ holds the same economic advantages as it did in real life

When colonizing the new world, State Property is your friend. I never colonize the new world until I have it.

usually the new world has a few really commercially productive city spots and those are the ones you want first. The price of course for having all that land for you settling pleasure is the heavy debts. So until any of the cities in the new world become economic powerhouses state property is your friend.

Are you kidding? Getting some good sites on the new world is a great idea. Are you using State Property? If not, that would probably help.
Also, are you building a decent number of cottages and allowing them to grow into towns? Almost any city will eventually pay itself off once it is developed right. The only exceptions are those really bad tundra/ice cities. Other cities with specific functions like GP farming or production can be supported by all your commerce-making cities. Build some courthouses too.

Whenver I play a Terra map, I make it a priority to get cities on some new resources and good city sites in the new world (often by capturing the deliciously placed barb cities).

Anyone else have problems with the barbs on the new world? I played a Tera and had my a** handed to me more than a few times. (it was mainly a numbers thing...)

Terra maps provide very dynamic gameplay- especially when one turns barbarians off. I do this on terra maps because barbarians are so over-powered in the New World that the AI nations almost always lose their colonies long before they can grow. The human player can beat the barbarians, and this always gives them an unfair advantage over the AI.

Also with barbarians turned off- the New World provides un-rivaled potential. Yes it is certainly true that they at first cost more maintanace than earn, but after a few decades the return on investment can be enormous- and sometimes this is achieved with no fighting whatsoever. Selling excess resourses to the AI nations for gold per turn can help pay for the intitial investment.

The main advantage a terra map campaign can provide is that nations which have lost alot of their cities in the Old World, can make a spectacular comeback by becoming a major colonial power in the new world. In fact- in my most recent Terra map campaign, India(played by the AI) had gone from one of the most powerful nations in the game to a single city state as the result of neighboring aggessive ambition. From a single capital city, India built an over-seas empire of about ten large cities. Then they moved their capital to the new world. Now, their old capital was the over-seas colony and India became a New World power like the United States in real life. I don't think that such a great turn-around could ever happen on a non Terra map.

When I play Terra maps, I usually "save" the Forbidden palace, so I can build it on the new continent

barbarians are indeed overpowred, and barb units seem to pop up out of nowhere. i was unaware of this on my first terra game the other day, i was playing as napoleon and founded about 3 cities on the new world continent, two of which got promptly razed by barbs (i only brought one longbowman for each city) my thrid city had a Rambo Longbowman and it managed to beat about 5 axemen (though he did have garrrison 2 promotion) before bacjup units arrived. i must say, it is fun and chalenging. I didnt use state property, i bee-lined to astronomy to get galleons, and my core cities were making enough gold to support about 4 new world cities. Also, there were some resources that i got as a result of moving into the new world, and i manged to trade them for about 7 gold a turn to a few civs, that helped too. so u dont really need state property, if ur cities are good enough, and a few good trades allows you to support more cities!

lots of fun for all the family!

take it easy duders.

True. the Barbs in the New World are powerful. But if you have Communism then Nationalism and military traditon are close at hand. Send a galleon full of Cavalry, or better Cossacks take the heathen's cites by force. It Takes awhile for the culture flip but a size 10 city right in the middle of the new world is a powerhouse.

IT is cool though to see a barbairan city with a wonder (I got the pyrimids one time, then teh barbairans discovered liberalism first....)

Even with barbarians on, colonization can be very good I've found. You simply have to plug in a lot of troops.

But remember, this IS the real-life solution. Teh colonies were incredibly expensive. It takwes a long time for them to pay-off.

But don't forget resources. The new world often has key resources, like oil, iron, uranium, and luxuries.

Best wishes,

breunor

Top Bottom