Terra Incognita

Actually, 12agnar0k, once I figured out how to add new options, I added yours. You can now choose to have starting locations that aren't restricted to the Old World, among a bunch of other options.

I just spent a while making everything more awesome in 1.0, and finished it off by uploading it to the community hub! ModBuddy rocks my world.

Any feedback on the latest version? Any particularly interesting or spiteful maps?

Are you all too busy playing it to comment, or alternatively is it quietly destroying your computers so thoroughly that you can't even log into CivFanatics to express your rage? :D

By the way, if you downloaded 0.1 or 0.2 as a standalone .lua file, you should replace it with the current version, or delete it and just use the mod browser. When I look at the 0.2 screenshots, they seem so crappy compared to 1.0.

Im too busy playing ;)

did update to the latest version yesterday and started a new game after activating a few other mods, but work and family dont give me much time to play during the week so I havent even completed the ancient age yet. Looking good though, so far ;)

I did't have much time, so I'm still in the old world. But that looks good so far. Will try to give more feedback once I've entered the Age of Discovery. ;)

Love the map! Been playing it almost exclusively. :goodjob:

I seem to find the Old Faithful wonder very close to my start on every game. I've started maybe ten different maps and its always been close by within maybe 10 tiles. Is that a glitch?

Interesting. It's conceivable, given that Terra has custom code for placing Old Faithful, but that would be a strange effect. It looks like the only connection between the civ-placing code and the wonder-placing code is that it makes sure not to put wonders in civ starting locations.

So it could be a random coincidence, or it could be an emergent effect. The rules for Old Faithful are that it has to be in a moderately hilly, inland, non-desert area. (These are somewhat tight criteria, enough that the game makes sure to place Old Faithful first.) I'm going to guess that the most likely place to find such a tile will be in the middle of the Old World landmass, which is also the most likely place to find yourself near.

did you manage to get the worldbuilder console to stick in case your script failed?
I'm having trouble debugging map scripting because the console appears and closes with some error messages inside.

so what exactly does old world connect/not connect do? i'm assuming possibly splits up euro/asia/africa?

and new world might exists/must exists, does it mean either possible new continent or just islands, vs new world continent for sure?

btw, there was a recomendation for extra city states earlier in the thread, because they were spawning in the new world? was this fixed, do they all spawn in the old world now?

Old world connected: There are two possible ways to generate the Old World. You can generate overlapping fractals for Europe and Asia, or you can generate a single fractal for Eurasia. (Africa and India are fractals that partially overlap with Eurasia in either case.)

Fractals are made of land and water, with the land area combining when they overlap. In the first case ("Old World is connected"), there's enough overlap that the Old World will almost certainly be Pangaea-like. (Not completely certain. I have seen it end up as an almost-Pangaea separated by one square hex of water, particularly with high sea levels.) In the second case ("Old World may be disconnected"), the Old World is basically a Fractal map of its own, so it could be a pangaea or it could be separate continents.

"New World must exist" makes sure to generate at least one continent in the New World, which could be a North America or a South America, and increases the chance that you get both of them like on a standard Terra map.

Do you want all city states to spawn in the Old World, like players? That sounds very crowded.

There are supposed to be New World city-states by design, but Terra was forcing too many of them to be in the New World, especially in cases where there wasn't a New World to speak of. So, either the New World would have not enough land and you'd end up with irrelevant city-states on tiny islands, or it would have lots of available land and the game would still emphasize putting more than the usual number of city-states there.

I have now changed the city-state placement code back to the game's default, which I think works fine no matter what the distribution of land is between the Old World and the New World. So I don't think you need to crank up the number of city-states to compensate anymore.

LDICesare: I had problems with that too. I think that text might also show up in the My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs directory, but what I did was to just keep clicking the generate button fast enough that the error message was flashing like a strobe light and I could read it. :)

I love this map script, but it seems to me that the "Random Mapsize" function isnt working.

Whenever I start a new game, I press escape, to see the mapsize, and it always says "Standard". Or maybe that's just to hide the real size from the player?
There's no worldbuild thingy, so I can't just quickly check how big the map actually is.
Maybe you can shed some light on this. :)

Thanks

I didn't even realize there was a random map size option until now. It's not defined like the other options that the map script has control over. But I'm happy that there is, for that much extra uncertainty.

I just tried generating a random-sized Terra Incognita and revealing it, and it was a Small map.

There is a world builder in the Civ 5 SDK (download it from Steam). Also, you can turn on the "DebugPanel" (not DebugMode) in config.ini, and pressing ~ gives you a menu that can reveal the map.

LDICesare: I had problems with that too. I think that text might also show up in the My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Logs directory, but what I did was to just keep clicking the generate button fast enough that the error message was flashing like a strobe light and I could read it. :)

No, it doesn't show up there and Firaxis must somehow know that or modders will have to buy new mouses. I keep forgetting that damn "end" after if blocks...

EDIT: oh, my mistake, it DOES show up. Thanks for making me check again :D

Very nice :) I like the idea of maybe or maybe not a new world. I've always stayed clear of using random maps because some map types I absolutely do not want to play. This should be a nice little feature. Thanks!

I'd like to download your lua file, because I want it in my map options in general AND my mod-browser doesn't work, but my browser can't reach your URL...

It's odd that the URL doesn't work for you. But instead, you could download it from the download hub, extract the civ5mod like it's a zip file, and copy the .lua file into your Maps folder.

This map script is great, it's given me a lot of good maps.

Is there any way you can add options to choose if there are lots of mountains/hills, if there are deserts/dry areas, and if there are a lot of rivers?

It's odd that the URL doesn't work for you. But instead, you could download it from the download hub, extract the civ5mod like it's a zip file, and copy the .lua file into your Maps folder.

I tried from the download hub, too earlier.
Maybe your server was down shortly - I just tried again and it worked like a charm.
Will try the script tomorrow.

I didn't have the chance to try it out till now, but I will asap. It sounds awesome!

Just one suggestion: Is it possible to implement a setting option which places all natural wonders in the new world? This would strengthen this "miracles of the new world" feeling...

Top Bottom