• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Terrain Diversity

Thorburne

Centurion
I have to say, I would like to see more variety of terrain. I recently took a Physical Geography class, and I have been working on a world building project of my own for writing fantasy recently. In doing so, I have been working on labeling different biomes and climates and there are so many different terrains that I think the terrains in Civilization could use an overhaul. The standards have always been grassland, plains, desert and tundra with features of forest/woodland, jungle, marsh, and flood plains (along with oasis and ice)

I would like to see more robust terrain types that cover a variety of the world from rocky deserts to open savannahs and the like. I've even tried charting the use of Civ standard terrain and features, but it is difficult to come up with the right mix.

The game is meant to be an abstraction, so I don't really care to see the world divided up according to Koppen classifications. But making it more detailed than what they have now would be extremely welcome.

The game is meant to be an abstraction, so I don't really care to see the world divided up according to Koppen classifications. But making it more detailed than what they have now would be extremely welcome.
Yeah... I'm not saying it has to be broken down so much, just a little more diversity would be nice. Maybe two or three more terrain types and features for those terrain. As it stands, grassland and plains are just variations of the same type of terrain. Some scrubland would be nice and, like I said, rocky desert... Not just sand desert.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

I like the idea of more graphical changes, like rocky or sandy desert, but not game related changes, like having rocky or sandy desert and they have different yields.

I think there is a problem with citizens eating just 2 food per turn, it means there is too little differentiation (considering the number of different terrains and features) between their yields. I'd like to see citizens eat 3 food per turn, but that is probably a different discussion...

Also I think marsh tiles should be renamed wetlands, as wetlands are more common and could reasonably appear on more tiles (in particular tundra).

I like the idea of more graphical changes, like rocky or sandy desert, but not game related changes, like having rocky or sandy desert and they have different yields.

I think there is a problem with citizens eating just 2 food per turn, it means there is too little differentiation (considering the number of different terrains and features) between their yields. I'd like to see citizens eat 3 food per turn, but that is probably a different discussion...

Also I think marsh tiles should be renamed wetlands, as wetlands are more common and could reasonably appear on more tiles (in particular tundra).
That makes sense about the terrain additions being graphical... Or mostly graphical anyway. Maybe some tiny unique elements would be nice. But necessarily yields but, rocky desserts cannot contain oasis, etc.

I also agree about marsh being revealed to wetlands.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom