Text dissapeared

Liborio

Chieftain
Now, i've never had any problems with CiV before, but since i downloaded the latest patch whenever i try to start the game in dx11 mode, it starts without any text, everything else looks fine, just no text at all (game runs fine through dx9). I tried validating files, restarting computer to no avail, so before re-downloading the game i was wondering if anyone might have a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Urgh, just noticed the typo on the topic title :(

Is your computer really able to run DX11? If you don't know, then please post your system specs, important are the operating system and the graphics card.

It is, i've been running CiV in dx10/11 mode for the last year. Really nothing changed in my computer lately except this latest patch and the graphics card which i acquired a month ago (and have played CiV without issues with this new gfx card in the last month).

Anyways here are my specs:

Intel C2D E6550 2.33Ghz
3GB RAM DDR2
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550 Ti
Windows 7 64bits

Everything else in my computer, games including, run like they did before, its just CiV that became 'textless' since the latest patch.

Anyways here's a screenie:

Spoiler :

EDIT: Redownloading and reinstalling from scratch didn't work :\. I also didn't mention my drivers are up to date (graphics driver is version 275.33).

Perhaps is something related to localization?
You have Steam in English but the game is on portuguese but it doesn't have such files, thus it doesn't show anything?

Perhaps is something related to localization?
You have Steam in English but the game is on portuguese but it doesn't have such files, thus it doesn't show anything?

Actually i have all my games in english (and CiV is no exception), despite them having portuguese versions (i play games since the early 90's, so i got too used to seeing english as language, plus the fact that many games have brazilian portuguese and simply call it portuguese). Tried deleting my whole Civilization5 folder in the Documents/My Games folder to force the game to create a new one, but that didn't work either.

hhmm...and when you try to validate the files in Steam, then nothing has to be redownloaded?
Because this looks damn like a corrupted file somewhere.
Well, only one file ever gets downloaded, 22.4Mb iirc. Redownloading the whole game also didn't work so i guess it's nothing wrong with the game files themselves.

Other than getting a newer nvidia driver i'm not sure what else to try next and even that i'm pretty sure it won't work.

Oh well, i guess no more CiV for me :sad:

Well, only one file ever gets downloaded, 22.4Mb iirc. Redownloading the whole game also didn't work so i guess it's nothing wrong with the game files themselves.

I would not guess so.
It might sound logical, but that doesn't mean it is in this way. One of the tech save users here reported, that he had to redownload a file multiple times before the whole thing started working again, so it might be a good advice to hit the verify files button endlessly :/.

I would not guess so.
It might sound logical, but that doesn't mean it is in this way. One of the tech save users here reported, that he had to redownload a file multiple times before the whole thing started working again, so it might be a good advice to hit the verify files button endlessly :/.

That does sound strange, but since other than formatting i have nothing else to try, i'll try that.

Have you tried checking config.ini?
The following settings should be correct, try looking:

"; The currently selected steam language
SteamLanguage =

; The currently selected language.
Language =

; The currently selected spoken language.
AudioLanguage = "

Those all should be set to english, try looking, it might be a config problem.

Have you tried checking config.ini?
The following settings should be correct, try looking:

"; The currently selected steam language
SteamLanguage =

; The currently selected language.
Language =

; The currently selected spoken language.
AudioLanguage = "

Those all should be set to english, try looking, it might be a config problem.
They're all set to english, so it's not that either :(.

Tried loading a game and then starting a new game, and both times the game crashed, so this most likely is a graphical problem. I guess i'll have to resort to dx9 graphics for the time being.

EDIT: Tried installing an older version of nvidia's drivers and still no dice :(

Sorry about the bump, but in a desperate last attempt i managed to solve the bug by manually editing the resolution in the config files to 1600x1024 (i had edited it to 1024x768 previously but it didn't work). Somehow the game didn't like my native resolution which is 1680x1050, but the strangest part is that it still is in 1680x1050 as it says in the ingame options despite it being 1600x1024 in the config file.

Strange but, who cares! :goodjob:

EDIT: Actually no, it doesn't work, AGAIN! All of a sudden it stopped working and went back to the no text version. I am seriously pissed off at this latest patch!

Is there even a purpose for including screen resolution in the config files? Changing it seems to have no effect at all!

Is the game running in full screen or windowed mode?
Because some resolutions don't work in full screen mode.

Full screen, but i tried running it in windowed mode with the same results. But still, it worked yesterday and today with the exact same configs it didn't and nothing changed hardware-wise or software-wise between yesterday and today. All i can think of is some compatibility problem between the game and my graphics card brought by the latest patch...

By the way, can you tell me if changing resolution through civ's config files works? Because when i change it, it still seems to be in 1680x1050. Also i can try loading the game to cause the game to crash and create a minidump file (since the logfiles in CiV's folder inside my documents don't contain anything useful for my problem). Will that be of any use?

Tried changing the desktop resolution to fit that of the game?

Have you tried other res besides the one you described?

Tried changing the desktop resolution to fit that of the game?

Have you tried other res besides the one you described?

It does have the resolution of my desktop, 1680x1050 is my screen's native resolution. I have noticed though, that many games don't detect that resolution forcing me to use 1600x1024 and this includes CiV in directx9 mode.

Yeah, i've tried numerous others, but it always shows up in 1680x1050 and without text.

EDIT: It just started working again out of the blue, so i changed the resolution to 1600x1024 incase that was the problem (doubt it, but worth the shot).

Top Bottom