Thank you.

So you pretty much admit that those numbers are totally made up...I think 10 to 15% is VERY high.

I think it does a disservice to pass fiction as fact, and, BTW, I LOVE this game.

I don't know if anything is perfect, but its pretty bleeping great!

I love everything about this game!

Breunor

Efexeye said:
So you pretty much admit that those numbers are totally made up...I think 10 to 15% is VERY high.

I think it does a disservice to pass fiction as fact, and, BTW, I LOVE this game.

No, I wont admit my numbers are totally made up. They are based on logical guesses. I believe more as a hypthesis than just whipped up out of thin air.

I think 10 to 15% is VERY high.
That is pulled out of thin air IMO as you dont want to see it otherwise. Remember not everyone in the world bought CIV 4. So we are basing the numbers off the people that DID buy it. More people I know would be uninterested in playing civ than the people I know that would like to play. I know about 8 people (friends) that like civ. I have more than 8 friends though. This is about 8 of around 30ish people. 2 of these people have bought CIV and took it back because it didnt work. Mine didnt work but it does now.

EDIT: Besides, the OP I made listed more problems than just hardware problems. I am not just here to 'whine' aka actually talking bad on a fanboy's 'my precious'.

I'll admit that I'm biased, because I like the game very much, so does every friend of mine that I've recommended it to.

I simply refuse to believe that almost 1 in 5 people that bought this game can't run it. The method by which you arrived at your "guesstimate" is flawed, as even if 50% of the people that bought the game came here and posted (I think it's probably more like 10%) that wouldn't be a good statistical sample.

BTW, why'd you hijack a thank you thread? We have LOTS of complaint threads!

:D

Those threads get hijacked by people as well, why should a thank you thread be immune to hijacks? I dont see this as a hijack though rather than a discussion where words were so close to being put in my mouth without actually doing it.

I would ask anyone who followed this discussion, to refer back to my first post and ignore the first listing of issues (hardware) and read the rest. This game is far from perfect. Please fix it Firaxis some of us would like to see Civ 4 expand. Because with it being so called 'perfect' expansions and patches are not neccessary and I see it as still in need of alot of fixes.

I don't think there has ever been a perfect video game (besides Ocarina of Time and Starcraft, anyway...)...

I simply refuse to believe that almost 1 in 5 people that bought this game can't run it. The method by which you arrived at your "guesstimate" is flawed, as even if 50% of the people that bought the game came here and posted (I think it's probably more like 10%) that wouldn't be a good statistical sample.
I'd say that less than 10% of people who bought the game would post at these forums; and I'd also say that the number of people who post on these forums would be big enough to be reasonably statistically significant. However, people with problems tend to be much noisier than people without problems. Someone is much less likely to make a post saying "I been playing the game for 3 days without any problems - that's all." than they are to say "The game doesn't work on my computer - die Firaxis, Die." After all, why would you bother to post that the game works as it should? On the other hand, people who have the problems are much more likely to search to internet to find help - ie. these forums.
I too would be quite surprised if as many as 20% of people couldn't run this game. I would guess it to be more like 2%. But why should my guess be better than any others? I do know something about statistics and sociology; but still it is just a guess.

In any case; the game has worked without problems for me since 1.0, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

Yep, game worked pretty darned well for me pre-patch once I swapped to a Radeon 9250 (a downgrade, mind you). Post patch, it works even better. If anything irks me its that, if I had just waited another week for the patch, before changing my video card, my 9550 card probably could have ended up running it flawlessly. Oh and as for this threadjacking business. I actually have no beef with people who hated the game coming here and posting contrary comments, what REALLY irks me, though, is when someone comes along and says that a positive thread like this should be 'shut down' because he views it as 'spam'.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Yep, game worked pretty darned well for me pre-patch once I swapped to a Radeon 9250 (a downgrade, mind you). Post patch, it works even better. If anything irks me its that, if I had just waited another week for the patch, before changing my video card, my 9550 card probably could have ended up running it flawlessly. Oh and as for this threadjacking business. I actually have no beef with people who hated the game coming here and posting contrary comments, what REALLY irks me, though, is when someone comes along and says that a positive thread like this should be 'shut down' because he views it as 'spam'.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Well heres the thing. People who support the game come into threads that are all about being pissed and feeling ripped off and say the same exact thing. Except they add insult to injury and tell you how wonderful the game is running for them. So to them what we are saying shouldn't be heard and for us, well we really don't want to hear what you are saying. So tell me what is the def of spam.
Me I hate the game. I hate everyone who comes into a thread title "Feel ripped off" and spouts on how they can actually finish the game. Spouts off on how it must be your hardware. Like the world revolves around them and since they can play, well hey then the rest of us don't matter.
Now to you or others in this thread you may feel what I just said is spam.
But I guess that all depends on your def of spam now doesn't it.

karadoc said:
I'd say that less than 10% of people who bought the game would post at these forums; and I'd also say that the number of people who post on these forums would be big enough to be reasonably statistically significant. However, people with problems tend to be much noisier than people without problems. Someone is much less likely to make a post saying "I been playing the game for 3 days without any problems - that's all." than they are to say "The game doesn't work on my computer - die Firaxis, Die." After all, why would you bother to post that the game works as it should? On the other hand, people who have the problems are much more likely to search to internet to find help - ie. these forums.
I too would be quite surprised if as many as 20% of people couldn't run this game. I would guess it to be more like 2%. But why should my guess be better than any others? I do know something about statistics and sociology; but still it is just a guess.
In any case; the game has worked without problems for me since 1.0, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

2% LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL. Your guess, and what do you base this guess on. On what numbers do you base this guess on.
If I go with your thinking. I have 5 machines. I have tested it on these five rigs. I have tried different setups in these rigs. I got it to work once. Now mind you, I actually have a base image I use for each machine. Its a clean install with just mb drivers. I have installed this image on these machines with the patch 5 different times. so based on this I can say I got it to work on one out of 25 machines.
So I would say it doesn't work for a larger number that is not, coming to the forums because the game is hosed. And they just went out and dropped money on AOE III because it actually works out of the box.

blue3c said:
Well heres the thing. People who support the game come into threads that are all about being pissed and feeling ripped off and say the same exact thing. Except they add insult to injury and tell you how wonderful the game is running for them. So to them what we are saying shouldn't be heard and for us, well we really don't want to hear what you are saying. So tell me what is the def of spam.
Me I hate the game. I hate everyone who comes into a thread title "Feel ripped off" and spouts on how they can actually finish the game. Spouts off on how it must be your hardware. Like the world revolves around them and since they can play, well hey then the rest of us don't matter.
Now to you or others in this thread you may feel what I just said is spam.
But I guess that all depends on your def of spam now doesn't it.

Well, imagine how much we hate people coming over to a simple Thank you thread and start whining about how they feel ripped off. There is already a "Official Civilization 4 Haters Thread", just go there and b*tch all you want.

This thread is getting way off base. Aussie I know where your coming from and respect that veiwpoint as I hate it when I see someone come in the opposite threads asking a mod to shut it down, however ainwood has stepped in and kinda hushed it.

I still stand by my 10-15% AT LEAST not being able to run it based off of the fact I know two people that didnt even look for help online even after they knew I got mine running with crappy graphics.

Unrelated but I want it said nevertheless, skip if you are fine with what has been previously stated. - Trust me these are 2 people that probably stand for alot of a PC gaming community. They are 10 years my senior (32 and 36) and are computer illiterate as they didn't ever 'get into computers' in their younger years as most people that age didn't. (I am aware there are CIV gamers in their 50s that know about computers, but that is the exception to the rule and count for a small minority in their age group.)

Alot of teenage kids dont have decent computer understanding nowadays. All they want to do is surf the web and play their games but throw temper tantrums when their games dont run. (My sister and all her friends -mostly guys that pretend to know what they are doing and usually screw up the computer more rather than fix it-) I know there is a few people in their teens on here that know more about software than I do. Hat's off to you guys you have a fun life ahead of you I would bet. ;)

I have taken alot into account, and feel a good amount of PC gamers out there dont know what T&L on a graphics card is, let alone know how to get in there and get their game working. And most likely will do what my 2 friends I mentioned have done and take it back when it doesnt work and get something else. CIV isnt the only decent strategy game out there. AOE 3 is usually right up these people's alley and they seem to like it. (I need to go check it out myself.) I am looking at 'Settlers: Age of Kings' over it though. I have X-Fire downloading the demo as I type. Man, this thing takes forever even on broadband.

Basically, yes the 'I hate CIV' crowd is louder but coming from that side I will tell you its not just a small band of 5 people. I see new posters and repliers all the time. Every time I come on here I see a new name/avatar stating issues. This speaks to be a high number ON the boards with issues. Now figure anyone doing the same at Apolyton. This is 'My CIV Site' I dont go to others personally. I like this one despite the attitudes of some posters. Its easier to the eye for one.

SO figure the amount of people only going to Apolyton or other ones and not coming here. Then figure the amount of people that don't even come online and had issues. I am also considering the amount of people that had no issues as well. But still even by my guess that leaves 85-90% the game is working for.

To sum it up, my etimations may be off base as it is a guess. But as I said before, though it is a stab in the dark I bet I hit close.

EDIT: Also 1.09 just added color to my crappy graphics. It really didn't fix any graphic issues. There is still ONLY low quality textures on the map and polygon holes in most naval units. Other units as well but my navy units look like hell. I wouldn't be mad unless my computer was not OVER recommended specs. This is what mostly bothers me along with the fact I cant get any setup to run it right. Usually I spend an hour loading up the game to check a setting I changed and quiting, rinse repeat and get nowhere.

Yes, Perfect.

But Firaxis should come clean.

"This Perfect Game will not just cost you $40/E30/£25. It will also cost you $500/E400/£250 in system upgrades in order to play it!"

Paid out for immediately and happily, by the way.

CIV ON!

Your guess, and what do you base this guess on. On what numbers do you base this guess on.
I base it how many people have bought the game, on how many people have complained about it on the forums, on how many people post of these forums, on how many people I know who play any games, on how many people I know who post on any forums, on the ratings that Civ4 gets, on the announcements that Firaxis makes, on the publicity (or lack of) that this issue gets elsewhere on the internet, and on all the people I know who play Civ4. Yes; I'm just guessing, but I'm taking all of these things into account and using my knowledge of statistics and sociology.
Meanwhile, you're basing your guess on your five computers at your house, and the other guy is basing his on two friends that he's known for a long time. You cannot draw statistical conclusions based on five samples.
Having said all of that, it doesn't really make a lot of difference to any of us what the actual number is. It works for me, so I'm happy with it. It doesn't work for you, so you are disappointed. Finding out the percentage of people that it works for isn't going to change that.

GIDS888 said:
Yes, Perfect.

But Firaxis should come clean.

"This Perfect Game will not just cost you $40/E30/£25. It will also cost you $500/E400/£250 in system upgrades in order to play it!"

Paid out for immediately and happily, by the way.

CIV ON!

I really don't know about that.
Lots of people can play Civ 4 on some old computers. It really depends on your hardware/software configuration, I'm sorry if you can't play CIV 4 on your PC, but you don't really have to spend so much to play it, there are a lot of threads on the tech support sections to get your issue solved.

GIDS, the only money I spent on upgrades was the money I was planning to spend anyway because, in this day and age, it never hurts to upgrade part of your system at least once every few months if you don't want it to become obsolete. That said, my entire upgrade cost me less than $300 Australian. A bargain given that it will also allow me to play a whole host of other games coming along in the pipeline.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

karadoc said:
you're basing your guess on your five computers at your house, and the other guy is basing his on two friends that he's known for a long time. You cannot draw statistical conclusions based on five samples. Having said all of that, it doesn't really make a lot of difference to any of us what the actual number is. It works for me, so I'm happy with it. It doesn't work for you, so you are disappointed. Finding out the percentage of people that it works for isn't going to change that.

On another thread, a poster recently wrote that C4 "runs well on a vast majority" of computers.

I agree with Karadoc...if he means that such estimates are based on dubious sampling.

C4 has run 99% well for me since the beginning (I only experience problems with the choppy Wonder movies)...but after having read a "lot" of posts complaining of all sorts of horrendous problems, I have doubts concerning the size of that "vast majority" of happy campers.

Top Bottom