The Atrocity Idea

A Bucket O Spam

Chieftain
Hello! I am A Bucket O Spam, and I have an idea that I proposed to the 2k Forums (same account name) a few minutes ago on a possible idea for Beyond Earth in its current state, or as an expansion. Naturally I am looking for a wide opinion, so please if you feel the need to comment, I am fully open to suggestions. Here is the link:

http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?665196-The-Atrocity-Idea

And here is the full text, should you want it immediately:

In Alpha Centauri, there was a certain class of action which was referred to as an atrocity. An atrocity (at least, defining atrocity) is an action that is negatively viewed by another person or group of people that calls into question the idea of one's morals, ethics, and/or standard for behavior due to its effect on another person or group of people.

I am sorry for such a general definition, but we can look at that later if you wish. Anyways, in Alpha Centauri, the result of an atrocity action caused other nations to have a bit of a bit of animosity (if I remember correctly) towards the nation committing, and possible drone riot. What I was wondering is if anyone else believes that a similar system will be implemented, but for espionage. Below is my idea, perhaps which may be good in an expansion, but anyways:

-Say you have a colony of Sponsor A. Sponsor B wants to see what is going on in Sponsor A's land, and sends his spy to the colony. What he does not know is that Sponsor C already has a spy in the colony, and Sponsor C has decided that they are going to fight dirty.
-Meanwhile, the spy of Sponsor B has infiltrated. He "detects" Sponsor C's spy, but for now that is it.
-Sponsor C decides the are going black-hat covert operations; a dirty bomb has been planted in the colony

Two possible timelines:

-BOOM! Dirty bomb explodes, kills a lot of people, Sponsor C's spy backs up back to his own territory or lies low in the colony (either way, a few turns cool down)
-Sponsor B's spy reports dirty bomb explosion, "suspects" Sponsor C to be responsible.
-Sponsor B has the option of (A) Turning around and ignore what happened, (B) Turning to Sponsor A and tell Sponsor A this information; depending on relations with the Sponsor, relative to the offending Sponsor's diplomatic relations as well, Sponsor A can tell Sponsor B that they (1) do not believe them, (2) fully believe them, or (3) do not believe them and think they are lying. (C) Announce the information publicly, possibly even finding a way to attach it to a denouncement of Sponsor C, possibly causing a diplomatic snafu with both sponsors, one because they did not come to them directly, the other because of deniability but taking a reputation hit with some for the "atrocity" of the action
Note: The reason why I included possibility B3 is because this system counts on honesty; there is the slim possibility that Sponsor C can turn around and claim that Sponsor B planted the dirty bomb which, if diplomatic relations between A and B are bad enough, A might be inclined to believe.

-Spy killed! This is the more "bro's option" for assigning spies. In this case, Sponsor B's spy detected Sponsor C's spy, and begins a "counter-terrorism" action, where essentially it waits for Sponsor C's spy to try to do something.
-Admittedly, this could cause a stalemate where two spies wait for each other to do something, which is why there is the slim chance that (BOOM!) the dirty bomb goes off even if Sponsor B's spy is performing counter-terrorist operations. This might be because Sponsor B's spy is not experienced enough, or possibly just because the chance of success was too low (promotion of spies? acquired skills?). Either way, the chance of success (even in a failed operation) in convincing Sponsor A, however, would be significantly increased thanks to a presumed intelligence/special operations file that Sponsor B attaches to the accusation against Sponsor C, or even the public denouncement, with the cost that Sponsor C would be even more pissed at Sponsor B for calling them out.
-It could even be worked in as an agreement between sponsors (usually who are trusted allies) to be able to perform counter-terrorist operations in another one's city! Of course, again, based on honesty. Someone could easily lie to another sponsor's face about performing counter-terrorist operations and attempt to plant bombs/thumpers in their allies city, but I can imagine that the consequence of failure is an immediate declaration of war, if not sharp denouncements resulting from a public announcement.

I realize that this idea has some flaws, but I also would like to know what you all think of it too. Maybe worth a mod?

Anything worth a mod if you know someone with modding skill who willing to do it for you, or having modding skill yourself :)

IMO, Your idea sounds pretty complicated and certainly add another layer of diplomacy/espionage in the game. I don't even sure that player can handle that while also handling other things. Let alone the AI

Anything worth a mod if you know someone with modding skill who willing to do it for you, or having modding skill yourself :)

IMO, Your idea sounds pretty complicated and certainly add another layer of diplomacy/espionage in the game. I don't even sure that player can handle that while also handling other things. Let alone the AI

Sounds like Intrigue from civ V (except applied to any player's spy actions instead of AI only war plans)

Top Bottom