Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by 50_dollar_bag, Oct 21, 2007.
After the next few days I'll be free to join the new SG, so if you still want to make it then I'm in.
Here we're my first thoughts on the next game.
Let me know what you think regarding map-type and other settings i.e aggressive AI. And if the rules are going to work.
We are Frederick of the Germans a people proud of our Engineers feats and our culture. So proud in fact that we take it quite seriously.
This is going to be a Xenophobic type SG with a few twists and addtions thrown in.
Here are the variant rules:
1) We're Xenophobic. We can handle imports of foreign goods and cash but we can only handle foreign culture to a point, if any of our city centres drops below 60% of our own culture we must declare war on the civ or civs with culture present in the city centre tile. Also once at war we cannot make peace until that culture or cultures are eliminated. And most importantly all captured cities must be razed unless built by us and our culture in that city is greater than 60%.
2) Only Engineer specialists and engineer GP producing wonders are allowed. We have to raze all non-engineer wonders which is necessary in rule 1 anyway.
3) Our research path is dictated by the Great Engineer path. When choosing the next tech to research the order is:
1/anything tech unlocks a Great Engineer wonder
2/anything tech a Great Engineer can lightbulb,
3/ the player/teams choice
4) If any AI builds a Great Engineer wonder we must declare war on them instantly. If it's built in a distant land then we have 20 turns to prepare to go to war with the civ with the worst attitude towards us.
5) If a Great Engineer is spawned by another civ we have 20 turns to prepare for war. If it's spawned in a distant land then we have 20 turns to prepare to go to war with the civ with the worst attitude towards us.
So just think of what an Engineer would do and we'll do just fine.
To help the thought process I've prepared a list of Great Engineer associated wonders and buildings:
Wonder & Tech requirement
Christo Redentor, Radio
Creative Constructions, Corporation and Combustion
Mining Inc, Corporation and Railroad
The Hagia Sophia, Theology
The Hanging Gardens, Mathematics
The Pentagon, Assembly line
The Pyramids, Masonry
The Three Gorges Dam, Plastics
Ironworks with Steel
West point with Military tradition plus a level 6 unit.
Forge with metal casting
Assembly plant with Assembly line
I was also thinking of perhaps using a tactless approach to tech trading, i.e. only accepting when and what the AI suggests for trades.
I think we should not limit the trading to AI suggestions - they often seem not to know what they want. It's rather annoying.
There are a lot of rules, not too sure about number 5, but I think the rest of them are good ones, that would definitely make a challenging game. Engineer points and specialists are rare until quite late in the game, limiting the usefulness of the Philosophical trait a bit.
I don't really like the accepting whatever deal the AI offers rule, surely if we're so xenophobic we should be trying to screw them out of everything they've got?
As for game settings maybe a Pangaea would be good for this, to get contact with everyone earlier so we'll know who builds what. Agg. AI could make it more interesting, so I wouldn't mind it being on. Not sure about difficulty yet, it's probably going to be quite a hard game.
I picked Germany mainly because to the Assembly plant as it gives more engineer slots than a regular Factory, of the 2 leaders Bismark probably feels like a better choice as he's industrious but as you've pointed out engineer specialists are hard to come by so it's either build our few allowed wonders faster or generate our engineers faster.
Ideally Phi/Ind would suit best, it wouldn't be too overpowering in this case as we can only build 8 world wonders for 32 max GPP, plus 60(?) GPP from forge/assembly plant engineers. Might be fun.
I'm happy leaving out rule 5 and the tactless trading.
Difficulty is hard one Pyramids in possible on emperor in BtS usually, but Hanging Gardens tends to be the more difficult IME especially when you try and get both. The other wonders can be picked up easily enough with bee-lining although I'm not sure how Thelogy(Hagia Sophia) fits into all this with the tech choices we have to make. Monarch was a little too easy for us in the Average Joes game.
I'll open a new thread after the weekend and we can discuss more hopefully with a few more players this time .
Separate names with a comma.