1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The BAD AAR

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by Noyyau, May 20, 2014.

1. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Chapter Five. Making new "friends".

Trying to make friends by accepting their trades. They still don't want to convert to Hellenism, much less think about becoming my vassals. Why do I even bother?
    Spoiler :

Normally I make lots of privateers, this time however I have less than 20 of them. And their performance is less than stellar, though they did net me a Great General.
    Spoiler :

Couple of wonders.
    Spoiler :

Oh hey, we're in a golden age! Again! :)
    Spoiler :

Time to reveal a shameful secret: I deeply enjoy curbstomping barbarian-spawned one-city civilizations with amphibious attacks. Especially when I've got guns and they don't. I'm such an imperialist.
    Spoiler :

He doesn't look too happy, does he? And what is he implying with that lampstand metaphor? My empire republic is a shining beacon of happiness and prosperity!
    Spoiler :

Look at that! The Egyptians have Arquebusiers, I hadn't noticed. Will it save them? Not really. You will be assimilated!
    Spoiler :

See? Being my vassal has perks, why doesn't the rest of the world realize it?
    Spoiler :

Another proof that we're the best.
    Spoiler :

Dido still doesn't want to be my vassal, but at least she's receptive to my suggestions. Even if she still doesn't look me in the eyes. What did I ever do to you?
    Spoiler :

War is raging between the Iroquois and the Chinese. I still haven't decided if and who to support.
    Spoiler :

The Blarney Castle at work. Not that I needed bonus points with Siam, the guy loves me as it is.
    Spoiler :

Time to upgrade the Republic into its modern form. It still is called Republic of Russia, though.
    Spoiler :

Egyptian conquest #2 (razed) and #3 (kept). Will he capitulate? Not yet!
    Spoiler :

What do they think, that I'm daft? I'll keep this starving city under my heel until Egypt surrenders!
    Spoiler :

2. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Finally! Victory is ours.
    Spoiler :

I've no use for your cities, but since I'm so magnanimous, I'll keep Heliopolis a turn more, and spend some money to repair war damages.
    Spoiler :

Sure, asking nicely is how it works.
    Spoiler :

This is one tech I'll screenshot, important as it is.
    Spoiler :

Let's spread some chaos, just because I'm evil like that.
    Spoiler :

Here you go, a reconditioned city ready for use.
    Spoiler :

My privateer-fu is weak in this game.
    Spoiler :

Useful, and very useful. It has happened offscreen, but I gifted several workers to my various vassals since I had improved all my terrain already. Now it's time to hire new ones and cover my land with steel rail tracks!
    Spoiler :

Capitalism. We are a free market society now, after all.
    Spoiler :

What? No! I've been trying to convert YOU to MY religion all this time! And you've always been “We just don't like you enough.”
    Fine, see how you'll like me when I'm asking with my cannons.
    Spoiler :

Hello! Goodbye! Die!
    Spoiler :

Because this game did not have “Unlimited Wonders” activated, I have to make a second military city (in this case, on the opposite side of the continent, for quick access to the other ocean).
    Spoiler :

The Holy Romans have a lot of units.
    Spoiler :

Two more privateers bite the... dust? Seabed sand?
    Spoiler :

All that cannon fodder brings me a bit closer to my next General.
    Spoiler :

Don't judge me, I have to... field test my Cossacks! Yes, that's it. This is definitely not an unjustified rampage against helpless backwards civilizations. No sir.
    Spoiler :

This time she even closes her eyes! Argh. And still doesn't want to be my vassal.
    Spoiler :

The Byzantines also have had a lot of units.
    Spoiler :

Bye bye privateers... :(
    Spoiler :

3. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Yep, Cossacks are quite effective. “Test” successful.
    Spoiler :

Time to “invite” you into the Russian club. With rifles. And cannons.
    Spoiler :

Totally unrelated: Pirates!
    Spoiler :

Back to our scheduled invasion of Sumeria. Athens (and Tibira very soon) are razed as they're deemed too distant from the core Sumerian area. Also because I'm evil.
    Spoiler :

Tenochtitlan is ours. The Aztecs were probably another barbarian-spawned civilization.
    Spoiler :

Spies are unreliable. No Cossack charge on Kish, then. Let's terrorize the countryside.
    Spoiler :

Bad-Tibira is razed and Lagash is conquered.
    Spoiler :

Big words, but without substance! Yet he does not submit.
    Spoiler :

Let's not forget we are an erudite people as well.
    Spoiler :

Will conquering another major ancient city make Gilgamesh surrender? Apparently not.
    Spoiler :

Chaaaarge!!
    Spoiler :

Time to siege the capital.
    Spoiler :

A few more field battles.
    Spoiler :

Uruk falls. But even the loss of his capital doesn't change Gilgamesh's mind!
    Spoiler :

The surviving privateers do their thing.
    Spoiler :

4. Noyyau

Noyyau Privateer Captain

Meanwhile...
    I remember that these rebels are still nominally alive, and vassalizing them is usually a good way to get rid of them.
    On the Iroquois-Chinese front, I decide to hasten the Chinese defeat with some sabotage.
    On the home front, the last Shrine is finally built.
    Spoiler :

Since the loss of Uruk was not enough, one of the expeditionary groups conquers Ur as well, while another is on the move towards Kish.
    Spoiler :

However, it seems that Gilgamesh has finally understood what's better for him, and capitulates. Victory! :D
    Spoiler :

As usual, I return the conquered cities (though this time I don't bother to rebuild) and supply a few resources.
    Spoiler :

------

I have not reached the next 60 turn mark, but I think I'll consider this game mostly "finished" anyway, as I'm either in direct control or have vassalized the largest continent, am running away with technology (though the Tech Diffusion mechanism is working and, except for remote barb-spawned cities, the other civilizations are not as far behind as one might expect) and have the (proven! :D) ability to invade and conquer anyone I please.

Also of note, new revisions of RoM-AND have come out, with new interesting game mechanics and better AI code, so I was a bit eager to finish this one.
    Now I only have to finish the Noyyau story...