Resource icon

The Balancer 0.18

Elucidus updated The Balancer with a new update entry:

The Balancer 0.18

Major Update!

First allow me to apologize I was writing up a formal description of all of the changes, but my computer ate it, so I will add it sometime tomorrow.

- Usable mountains are still in the game, but there are several areas where they do not function properly, most of these are annotated in the game.

- Added 3 mods: Additional Buildings, Wondrous Wonders, and we still have MOAR Units. Thank you to Horem, Magil, and Deliverator.

- Additionally, added 17...

Read the rest of this update entry...

This is just a small update to building and unit costs, fixing the new building costs and lowering unit cost and unit and building maintenance.

It is just updating a couple of files, just unzip into The Balancer directory and overwrite.

Attachments

• The Balancer 0.18.1.rar
    5.6 KB · Views: 122
Okay, so I have worked out the science, culture, faith problem for being in the Stone age (meaning there are no libraries or campuses), I also worked out added in new Eras to fill out the ancient era.

So now I have Stone > Bronze > Iron ages and I know those are old school, and I am open to ideas about what to call them and how to arrange them (You can see them in the attached image 2016-12-30 (21).png ).

But that's not what this post is about...right now I am working to fill out the Bronze and Iron Age. Sure Civ has some techs for it, but my goal has become filling the tech tree, with technologically relevant techs that affect the game, some in small ways, some in the ways you know, and some as revolutionary advances, This should bring you through the tech tree slowly, while gaining, allowing more units/buildings being built. One goal of this is to draw out certain eras, like the age of discovery for example, to allow the players to stop feeling like they are racing through the tree and exploring the world. So, I would love some help with this. For anyone interested, message me here, or find me on The Balancer Discord channel.

I apologize if it seems like I am absent, the mod is still being worked on, it is just a lot of work to get where I am trying to go. There is a lot of work involved in a complete rewrite of the tech and civic trees (and everything affected by them), not even counting the civilopedia entries and graphics involved. I can give you a preview of the newest tech tree and it gives you a better idea of the direction I am heading.

TechTree.jpg
I have moved a few technologies and added a lot. Note this is the just Stone Age, which will play a lot differently than the rest of the game. It is representative of how we struggled to advance and how lacking resources caused us to innovate (this is represented by terrains that give less food give more science, faith, or culture, this bonus fades as you advance to later eras). The stone age is made up of mostly incremental technologies which give a small but lasting bonus to just about everything, food, production, warrior combat strength, archer and slinger range. I plan to add an extra bonus for those civs that research certain things first, but that may or may not happen.

The reason I went with the Stone Age instead of the Neolithic era, is because some of the technologies at the very beginning didn't come in the Neolithic, they came in the Mesolithic. This, of course, leads to the Bronze Age which will be similarly broken out, though with less techs perhaps. This leads to the Iron Age, which is a very significant period as well. The bronze age has a similar bonus as man has only recently begun to experiment with science (i.e. alchemy, smelting).

The Iron Age is where things break out into a more typical civ-style (the bonus from poor terrain goes away) gameplay. Which will be described in the start screen so if people want to avoid the early eras they may.

If you are interested in helping out, whether through civilopedia entries, xml/sql entries, graphics, input on how the mod should progress, or if you just want to play the latest beta, find us on Discord.

The current beta contains the terrain based early science/culture/faith bonuses, and some fo the technologies shown in the screenshot, but not all of them. Hope to see you there.

Really looking forward to mod. With all the changes involved, it looks to be quite an undertaking with a lot of hard work and dedication. Keep up the hard work, its very appreciated!

Top Bottom