The Best Corporation?

CrusaderKevin

Pilgrim in Arms
Here's what some might consider a silly question:

Which is the best corporation and why?

My games usually end by the late middle age/ early industrial age, so I never get a chance to really use them or see them in action.

So, I figured I'd put it up to you guys to help teach poor ol' Crusader Kevin a thing or two about your modern-day economics! :king:

You really can't say what corp is the best. It all depends on the situation and your cash. But you should check out this thread, its very informational

There is no best. Aluminum Co beats the crap out of sushi when you have no aluminum. Cerial Mills beats the crap out of sushi sometimes because it can bring in more food at times (map dependant). Etc.... etc.

I usually stick with state-property. So I don't run any at all. But if I ever ended up with no aluminum, then Aluminum Co bonus beats state-property. That 100% parts bonus is just too strong to let go.

Corps are really game specific. It also greatly depends if culture is desired (thus Sid's or Creative may be preferred over Cereal and Mining).

Some points to remember

1) Alot of coastal cities usually means alot of seafood and thus Sid's is better than Cereal. On large continents/Pangea Ceral tends to win out

2) Mining Inc get's you the most hammers but blocks Aluminum Inc and Jewelers in teh same city. It is also 1 turn earlier than Creative Constructions.

3) As mentioned, Ethanol and Luminum Inc are vital if your missing Oil or Aluminum.

Generally empire size dictates whether I go down the Corp or State Property line. Organized leaders always go Corps regardless of empire size, one reason why I favor that trait.

i usually try to found as many of the corps as possible just so i can dined the ai corp benefits.

Since I usually warmonger a lot in my games it's rare for me to use corporations. For me, State Property is often better once you've conquered a large empire.

When I do go corporate I prefer Mining and Sushi.

Let's put it this way: In around 90% of all possible games where you'd want corporations, Sid's Sushi is best. :)

Even in most pangaea maps there's still some seafood, Cereal Mills doesn't give culture and comes so much later. The difference in food needs to be pretty extreme, or if you don't have a great merchant on hand right away. In a continents-style map I got once with more grains than seafood, it was so painful waiting to found the corp when I had the merchant on hand. I did, after all was said and done I figured Sushi would have been better. After Scientific Method, Sushi just requires Biology and Medicine. Cereal Mills requires Biology, Physics, Electricity and Refridgeration.

Civ Jewelers. It can substitute for the hammer corps if you run US and its a research boost at anything less than 100% science. The food corps are usually not needed for most cities.

Isn't it totally weird that cereal mills requires refridgeration (while AFAIK no grain needs cool storage to stay good, see 'pottery' :)), while Sushi doesn't (and although I want my sushi to be fresh, it certainly helps to keep fish fresh if you can transport it cooled)

If I have my history correct, large scale grain farming were made possible by railroads and fertilizers, ie railroads and biology?

Isn't it totally weird that cereal mills requires refridgeration (while AFAIK no grain needs cool storage to stay good, see 'pottery' :)), while Sushi doesn't (and although I want my sushi to be fresh, it certainly helps to keep fish fresh if you can transport it cooled)

If I have my history correct, large scale grain farming were made possible by railroads and fertilizers, ie railroads and biology?

Well some times of the year you might want to keep your cereal refridgerated to keep bugs out of it! :lol: I never thought of it before, but you're right, really strange you get cereal with refridgeration.

Sushi is the most versatile and easiest to get. It and jewelers are very strong for culture wins that you pursue late. Mining inc is the better of the hammer ones. They all have potential though.

I'd pick sushi not for being the best, but because it's quite early if you head towards it after corp, it has a powerful effect, and is relatively easy to get. If you can get something like +5 food/city I'll take it over SP no problem.

with large land(over 30%) - mining and by a whole mile... By that time you have 100% hammer bonus and you can use those hammers any way you want(from building culture to building wealth). Also, on the most natural research path - you want railroad anyway, while, say, you don't necessarily want early medicine or stuff like that. It doesn't add population so it doesn't come with the added issues(running representation, pollution, issues with war weariness from very populous cities) and it gives you a very easy and straightforward tool to use - hammers, which can be turned in anything easy. And on marathon at least, by that time, many normal hills poped a resource from that random event, so you'll have a ton of resources for it.

Most cost effective - sushi - getting a ge for mining is hard, getting a gm is easy...

Cereal Mills doesn't give culture and comes so much later. The difference in food needs to be pretty extreme, or if you don't have a great merchant on hand right away.

No it doesn't. Sushi only gives 0.5 food, but Cereal gives a whoping 0.75 food.

When you purchase your food sources from the AI, you are getting shafted on the sushi deals.

Aluminum Co. and Standard Ethanol seem to be in a category of their own in providing key resources (Aluminum or Oil) in addition to other bonuses.

With these 2 corporations, it's possible to keep them only in the home city, rather than spread them to other cities. This is especially applicable when your Wall Street city already has a corporation that conflicts with either of those 2 corps.

For example, your Wall Street city can be the home of Mining Inc. and Sid's Sushi. At this point already, all other corporations are in conflict with these two. But if you find that you need Oil or Aluminim, the simple solution is to found either Aluminum Co. or Standard Ethanol in a different city. The income gained will lack the +100% gold bonus of Wall Street, but on the other hand you still gain the resource by founding the corp in a different city.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this before, but I'm just throwing up the idea.

Aluminum Co. and Standard Ethanol seem to be in a category of their own in providing key resources (Aluminum or Oil) in addition to other bonuses.

With these 2 corporations, it's possible to keep them only in the home city, rather than spread them to other cities. This is especially applicable when your Wall Street city already has a corporation that conflicts with either of those 2 corps.

For example, your Wall Street city can be the home of Mining Inc. and Sid's Sushi. At this point already, all other corporations are in conflict with these two. But if you find that you need Oil or Aluminim, the simple solution is to found either Aluminum Co. or Standard Ethanol in a different city. The income gained will lack the +100% gold bonus of Wall Street, but on the other hand you still gain the resource by founding the corp in a different city.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this before, but I'm just throwing up the idea.

only problem is that they only provide oil and aluminum to the cities with that corp.

Sushi is the most versatile and easiest to get. It and jewelers are very strong for culture wins that you pursue late. Mining inc is the better of the hammer ones. They all have potential though.

I'd pick sushi not for being the best, but because it's quite early if you head towards it after corp, it has a powerful effect, and is relatively easy to get. If you can get something like +5 food/city I'll take it over SP no problem.

TMIT, the potential food gain from State Property is actually much higher than +5, if you need hammers. I would always choose the corp that I have the most resources for, not the earliest. Especially since SP is enabled before any corp techs are.

Top Bottom