The Deepening... how long?

Alzara

Emperor
Hey guys

How long does the deepening ritual last? Auric just completed it in my game and there is tundra everywhere! How long before it reverts back to its original terrain?

Also what do the clouds do? :)

Thanks

Al

It will never return to original state. It is permanent.

The clouds are blizzards. They damage units entering the square.

it's not permanent. One of the earlier complains with the ritual was the fact that it turns back the ice created by the illian's unique temples ;). It lasts for quite a while though, don't know for how long precisely.

I have played more than 200 turns without any sign of resess. You must have been using "end of winder" as an option, to have it return back to normal, or more than 200 turns are not enough. I had to use vitalize on my lands to counter the problem...

Surely it isn't permanent! That would irreversibly ruin the world when the ritual is complete! Anyone got confirmation as to how long the effects of the ritual last?

Surely it isn't permanent! That would irreversibly ruin the world when the ritual is complete! Anyone got confirmation as to how long the effects of the ritual last?

It's temporary, the length varies.

Spoiler :
Code:
if iProjectType == gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROJECT_THE_DEEPENING'):
			iDesert = gc.getInfoTypeForString('TERRAIN_DESERT')
			iGrass = gc.getInfoTypeForString('TERRAIN_GRASS')
			iPlains = gc.getInfoTypeForString('TERRAIN_PLAINS')
			iSnow = gc.getInfoTypeForString('TERRAIN_SNOW')
			iTundra = gc.getInfoTypeForString('TERRAIN_TUNDRA')
			iBlizzard = gc.getInfoTypeForString('FEATURE_BLIZZARD')
			iTimer = 40 + (CyGame().getGameSpeedType() * 20)
			for i in range (CyMap().numPlots()):
				pPlot = CyMap().plotByIndex(i)
				bValid = False
				if pPlot.isWater() == False:
					if CyGame().getSorenRandNum(100, "The Deepening") < 25:
						iTerrain = pPlot.getTerrainType()
						if iTerrain == iSnow:
							bValid = True
						if iTerrain == iTundra:
							pPlot.setTempTerrainType(iSnow, CyGame().getSorenRandNum(iTimer, "Bob") + 10)
							bValid = True
						if iTerrain == iGrass:
							pPlot.setTempTerrainType(iTundra, CyGame().getSorenRandNum(iTimer, "Bob") + 10)
							bValid = True
						if iTerrain == iPlains:
							pPlot.setTempTerrainType(iTundra, CyGame().getSorenRandNum(iTimer, "Bob") + 10)
							bValid = True
						if iTerrain == iDesert:
							pPlot.setTempTerrainType(iPlains, CyGame().getSorenRandNum(iTimer, "Bob") + 10)
						if bValid:
							if CyGame().getSorenRandNum(750, "The Deepening") < 10:
								pPlot.setFeatureType(iBlizzard,-1)

Pretty sure it is temporary, but I'm unsure of what the random factor is. Could be that some tiles will take a lot longer than others to revert. I had a city with a nice river grassland, turned to tundra after the deepening, got penguin event, then quite a long time later it reverted to grasslands... still had penguins. :) Had to farm them under unfortunately.

Cool I will see how it plays out! Thanks for the info! So glad it isnt random!

Lol about the poor penguins :)

Al

How long? Not long enough. Permanent would be more fun.

what, by making everyone declare war on the illians at the deepening instead of at the draw? it's fine as it is now

And i think for the AI single player version, make it like The ilian player suffer some diplomatic penalties but not everyone declare war right away, i think 2 things
1) If the Ilians are played by a human player, make the penalty a -4 vs ALL the other AIs and another -2 after another 60 normal turns for a total of -6 (which is not major but dont expect the AI to be very friendly with you, and as Ilians you dont really care about AI since you wont win a diplomatic victory as Auric anyways. Of course the - amount may be scaled with difficulty, like settler -1 with another -1 after 60 normal turns (these as scalled appropriately with different game speeds), warlord -2 with -1, noble -3 with -1, prince -4 with -1, monarch -4 with -1, emperor+ -4 with -2.

This wont mean much and consider that you as the ilians already have SUPERIOR production capability given the fact that SNOW = Grassland for you so while you thrive, everyone else suffers. and you can turn tundra into snow by building the temple of the hand ( i guess... not sure) so you have a huge lead ahead. Tundra is a puny +1(food) for everyone but since you can get snow, it's automatically +2food for you + you can build an improvement over it, with tundra all you can build is a lumbermill.

and 2) IF the AI is ilians give it a less of a penalty because AI is stupid, something like max -2 with -1 after 60 normal turns.

That would prove interesting.

no, by making it s othat when the Illians die it reverts. Gives the player a way to counter the ritual.

What your proposing makes the ritual much worse. Having the effects being permanent and all. If the Illians are on the other side of the map then it will be very difficult to remove the effects of the ritual.

I like it how it is now, where it will subside over time. If the deepening were permanent I'd probably remove the Illians from all my games. I already think their world spell is overpowered. If the deepening became permanent (regardless of whether or not killing auric reversed its effects) then that would be the last straw of putting up with the Illians in my games :)

Al

As far as I'm concerned it's permanent. Whenever the illians are in my games and cast the deepening, there's almost never more than 80 turns left before I wrap it up.

Like samhain and unlike stasis, it hits the illians as hard as it hits everyone else. So when I play as the illians I skip it.

Like samhain and unlike stasis, it hits the illians as hard as it hits everyone else. So when I play as the illians I skip it.

This is so true. I built it once and it really did no good to me. Instead, it cost me so many turns of binding my capital to no other production, that, eventually, the Clan of Embers got to me and, easily, overrun me...

Top Bottom