The DG7 Constitution

so when I said I wasn't posting again I may have been a bit hotheaded, I was skimming through the demogame history and saw that when greyfox(?) resigned the domestic minister became president, why not just do presidential succession through the chain of command ?

Ginger_Ale said:
Constitution for a 5CC

Elected Positions
President - plays the turns, controls workers, grants cash rushes
Military - advises Mayors on what to build, produces troop plans, where troops should be stationed, works with F&T on declarations of war against enemies
Foreign & Trade - works with Military on declarations of war, what to get in peace treaties, what deals to trade, how to handle demands
Science & Cultural - decides on tech path, sliders, advises what wonders to build, where, etc.
Mayors (5) - build queues, roleplaying, apply for cash rushes; basically are competing with other mayors to have 'best city'
Judiciary - same as it is now
That is a total of 12 positions. This number will NOT increase over the course of the game.
Can this be fleshed out a bit with a complete list of responsibilities for each office? We always seem to forget stuff, and it seems to usually be the same stuff.

Volunteer/Appointed Positions
Naming Office - responsible for keeping track of city list and unit list and giving it to the President
Election Office - responsible for putting up nominations 8 days before end of term, elections 5 days before, each lasting for 3 days, as well as debate threads
Don't really need a city list, do we? Otherwise good

Absence of a President / Designated Player
The designated player is the President for turnchats. If he is missing, follow the Chain of Command (order listed here in constitution: Military, F&T, S&C, Mayors (by order of founding date, tie to the closest city).
I still want to explore the concept of a "Designated DP" concept where the order doesn't necessarily have to follow the definition in the law, and which allows non-elected people to serve if confirmed by the people.

Provinces
Provinces are one city's 21 tile worked area and surrounding areas (via cultural expansion) based on the natural topography. If two cities overlap, the two mayors will agree upon a provincial border based on natural topography, giving each city at least 9 tiles (one 'ring' around the city including the city center).
I'd say 6 provinces, one for each city, surrounding area, and nearby resource colonies as designated by the people, and one for captured lands. Alternatively, 5 provinces and assign captured cities to existing provinces round-robin fashion.

Forum Organization
Strider's Proposal here, but also putting the Screenshots thread and Turnchat Summaries thread in the Citizens' forum.
Leave it out of the constitution entirely. This is a CoL item at most, and maybe not even that. Why upset the apple cart when we don't need to?

Polling Standards
Each formal poll put up by an official other than the election office has to be up for 2 days to be considered valid. All formal polls, other than elections and citizen complaints have to be public. All election and citizen complaint polls have to be up for 3 days to be considered valid. They have to be private.

Formal polls by an official have to have some sort of the following three options: yes, no, and abstain. Abstain votes do not count towards a yes nor no vote. Abstain cannot win. If abstain has the most votes, the option with the next most votes will win.
Pretty sure this should be a CoL item at most, except for the provision that "personal" polls must be private and all others public.

Turnchats
Turnchats will last 15 turns in the Ancient Age, 10 turns in the Middle, Industrial, and Modern Age. A turnchat thread will be put in the Citizens' forum no later than 3 days prior to the turnchat. A log and saves from the preturn, 5th, 10th, and if applicable, 15th turn are required. Other saves, while not required, are useful. They will be held in #turnchat channel on the irc.irc-chat.net server, port 6667. The President will be an op, everyone else voiced. No spot votes will be held.

Too much detail for the Constitution, maybe a CoL item. I would like to see chat length depend on available ready instructions, and shorter but more frequent chats.

I think the conquored cities should be put under domestic, by the time we get them we will be done settling by far... Plus those cities will be vary corrupt and not require enormous attention like the first 5

Very rough concept for a 5BC format:

President - Coordinates all officials, resolves disputes (including use of funds), Wonder build coordination, all tasks not assigned to someone else

Military - All troop activites and planning.

FA & Resource Development- Foriegn Relations, Espionage, declare war, declare peace, respond to demands. Also, coordinates extraterritorial resource colonies.

Science/Trade - Science queue, trades, trade embargoes, SS construction

5 Governors - placement of their city, plus full control of their city.

Military Governor (all captured cities) - full control of all captured cities.

Chief Justice

Judge Advocate

Public Defender

Seperate:
DP Panel - During each election cycle, all interested citizens post their interest. A single, multi-selection poll with all names, in order of posting is created. All citizens that gain at least (lesser of) 10 votes or 50% of total citizen voting are approved and go on the list.

List is randomly ordered. Any member of the panel that did not serve as DP during the previous term is placed ahead of members that did serve as DP last term.

Each DP determines when they will play, provided that time is no fewer than 3 days from the previous regular game session or no later than 5 days from the previous regular session.

The President may declare a special game play session to conduct a specific action in-game as needed. This request must be approved by the people.

Regular game sessions may last up to 20 turns. These sessions may be ended early at the discretion of the DP or by a specific instruction in the instruction thread.

It's rough, but gives a fair amount of structure.

-- Ravensfire

As implied in my "leadership story" thread, I have insufficient time to do any significant editing on the ruleset. Someone needs to step up, preferably someone who will accept the decisions of the people and work within any boundaries there might be.

As extra incentive, I think that if the game were to start now, we'd be stuck with amending the DG6 constitution. :eek: :eek:

Top Bottom