The Enlightenment Era

Just released v4, which reverts the addition of piracy and fixes a fair few of the bugs brought up here. Link will be updated in the OP, and I'll try to fix any new issues when I get back from work later on tonight

Has Imperialism become a pre-req for Navigation to balance out the tech tree? If not, do you know when the Piracy tech mod mod might be released? I never did get a chance to actually see if Piracy slowed down the game or not.

Nonsenseeee strikes again.

I get so ignored that I should stop trying ... Guess then that it is the intention for the warmongering penalty to no longer be in the game... good luck with the mod Pouakai

Natan, feel free to make your own tech tree mod if you feel you could do a better job. It's gameplay vs realism and we have to first and foremost make sure the mod is fun to play, sometimes sacrificing some realism in the process.

Eveljin, I'm not ignoring your posts about the warmonger penalty. It's more complicated than the other bugfixes because I've got no idea what's causing it, and AI stuff is typically in the DLL which makes fixing it way more difficult. I haven't touched the AI at all, so it's likely a by-product of adding a new era, which is kind of an integral part of the mod. I'll definitely look into it though, and if anyone is able to help make it more specific (does it only happen in the Enlightenment Era or throughout the game and so on) or have any ideas on what'll be causing it that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply If you said it from the beginning, it had been much easier. I can give you the information I have found through my expriments. Not much but something is better than nothing.

1, The problem remains throughout the entire game
2, The problem remains even when only the EE mod is active
3, AI is still willing to declare war and denounce for other reasons, but not by Warrmonering penelty
4, The AIs Tooltip text has no party warmongering
5, Activate a mod that turns off warrmonering makes no difference

@Pouakai: Hm. Okay. I'm going to do that right after I'll eat breakfast, go to school, go to sleep 750+ times, serve in the army, study in the Uni, get a job...

I'm complaining about the naming. Not about the actual effects the techs have.... Besides that, preventing people from belining for certain techs isn't exactly something contributing to gameplay.

@Pouakai: Hm. Okay. I'm going to do that right after I'll eat breakfast, go to school, go to sleep 750+ times, serve in the army, study in the Uni, get a job...

That's a pretty sarcastic response. Do you think Pouakai and the rest also don't have real world responsibilities? They do and they also did all the work for the mod on top of it, so you can't really complain.

I'm complaining about the naming. Not about the actual effects the techs have.... Besides that, preventing people from belining for certain techs isn't exactly something contributing to gameplay.

Pouakai actually has to do all these things too (especially serve in the army - conscription in New Zealand is merciless). But if you respond to something as snarky as you did, you're going to get a snarky comment back.

Some people like that beelining has been scaled back with mods. I know I do! And what's wrong with the name?

Me thinks you're getting a bit too big for your boots lately, Natan :p

As for the warmonger penalty, it might be worth hitting up a disciple of the DLL, or even the Godhead himself!

Israeli life not the easy life eh? To be fair, switching tech names can't be that hard to do yourself Natan. You've been on the forums this long, I'm sure you've picked up some skills on how to change a couple of lines.

The names can switch around as much as they like (It makes sense for Navigation and Imperialism to unlock Warships, but Frigates work better thematically in Warships then Navigation).

As stated many times, it's balance. Look at the Longswordsmen for the medieval era. That's so rarely used in the game because one tech later they become obsolete with the much deadlier musket men. If Frigates were moved closer to the right, they would also be one tech away from being obsolete. By getting them at the start, you are given a chance to use them.

Also, I think the new way works much better. It would be very unbalanced if a navel power were to simply rush through three techs to get a powerful navel unit and get the perks of being in the Industrial era. But enabling Imperialism as a pre-req, it balances out the experience by forcing the player to unlock more techs first. This is how the whole tech tree is generally designed.

To both Pouakai and JFD, we all very grateful for the time and effort that was put into EE and CCC respectively. Even though there is a lot of discussion and debate in the forums, your efforts do not go unnoticed, and we thoroughly appreciate your passion to create such mods.

because I've got no idea what's causing it,

Looks like the base era definitions you're working from came from 3.144

3.276 added a per-era <WarmongerPercent> value (which defaults to 0), and they're all missing from your re-definition of the eras

Base values are

50 (Ancient)
90 (Industrial)
100 (Future)

Looks like the base era definitions you're working from came from 3.144

3.276 added a per-era <WarmongerPercent> value (which defaults to 0), and they're all missing from you re-definition of the eras

Base values are

50 (Ancient)
90 (Industrial)
100 (Future)

A rare Whoward appears from the Boston Commenwealth!

A rare Whoward appears from the Boston Commenwealth!
Only if Massachusetts is somewhere below Wales.

Sheesh, I've looked through the Eras table multiple times and never noticed the addition of that column, even though the patch-notes for that version of the game did mention less-warmonger in the earlier eras, which should have been the clue

Only if Massachusetts is somewhere below Wales.
And quite a long way right ;)

Sheesh, I've looked through the Eras table multiple times and never noticed the addition of that column,

I only found it by searching the CvDiplomacyAI C++ code for "Eras" and then comparing EE with the 3.276 and then the 3.144 release (yes I'm sad enough to have kept the old releases ... a trip down memory lane to 1.511 and the old GameSpy mod hub anyone?)

@Pouakai

I am making a mod which inculde a new unit class Two-Handed Swordsman, it upgrades to Rifleman.
Now I want to add a support for my mod to EE, with EE, Two-Handed Swordsman should upgrades to Line Infantry rather than Rifleman.

What should I do?

Anything wrong with the code below? It doesn't work in game.

Code:
UPDATE Units
SET ObsoleteTech = 'TECH_EE_FLINTLOCK', GoodyHutUpgradeUnitClass = 'UNITCLASS_EE_LINE_INFANTRY'
WHERE Type = 'UNIT_2HANDER'
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM Technologies WHERE Type = 'TECH_EE_FLINTLOCK');

UPDATE Unit_ClassUpgrades
SET UnitClassType = 'UNITCLASS_EE_LINE_INFANTRY'
WHERE UnitType = 'UNIT_2HANDER'

Code I developed* for doing similar with a building in my mod:
Code:
UPDATE Buildings 
SET ObsoleteTech = 'TECH_EE_FLINTLOCK', ReplacementBuildingClass = 'BUILDINGCLASS_LRS_FOOD_EE', Help = 'TXT_KEY_BUILDING_LRS_SLAUGHTER_YARD_EE_HELP'
WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_LRS_SLAUGHTER_YARD'
AND EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM Eras WHERE Type = 'ERA_ENLIGHTENMENT');

* with a little copy/pasta from JFD examples, and some advice from whoward.

Code I developed* for doing similar with a building in my mod:
Code:
UPDATE Buildings 
SET ObsoleteTech = 'TECH_EE_FLINTLOCK', ReplacementBuildingClass = 'BUILDINGCLASS_LRS_FOOD_EE', Help = 'TXT_KEY_BUILDING_LRS_SLAUGHTER_YARD_EE_HELP'
WHERE Type = 'BUILDING_LRS_SLAUGHTER_YARD'

* with a little copy/pasta from JFD examples, and some advice from whoward.

I replace
Code:
with
Code:

And everything still doesn't work.

Should I do something to the .modinfo file or something else?

P.S. The original code of the unit and its upgrade is in XML form.

I replace
Code:
with
Code:

And everything still doesn't work.

Should I do something to the .modinfo file or something else?

P.S. The original code of the unit and its upgrade is in XML form.
Shouldn't matter that the unit is defined in XML, because my buildings all are. But the SQL code has to be in an SQL file that is shown lower down in the list of 'OnModActivated' actions than the xml originally defining the unit. If still having trouble it would probably be better to start a thread for your trouble rather than us further hijacking Pouakai/Jan & Co's thread. Zip and attach the mod in such a thread so we can see what else it is you might be doing wrong.

The other thing you need to do is add a mod-reference within your mod so that EE loads into the game before your mod does when both are enabled. Otherwise the code from EE would most likely not be entered into the game database yet, so the SQL will not have the conditions necessary to make the update.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit to add small in-game text bug notice

I notice in the unit text (and therefore tech tree, I think) the SOTL is being described as a naval ranged unit but I'm pretty sure it is a melee naval unit.

But the SQL code has to be in an SQL file that is shown lower down in the list of 'OnModActivated' actions than the xml originally defining the unit.

I do this and it works now, thank you!:goodjob:

Top Bottom