The financial trait

Should the Financial Trait be "tweaked"?

• Blasphemy!! Don't you dare touch my Financial Trait!!

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • The Financial Trait is fine as it is.

Votes: 108 57.4%
  • Some changes would be nice, but are not needed.

Votes: 36 19.1%
  • It needs to be changed, it's currently overpowered.

Votes: 18 9.6%

• Total voters

Grimus

I
Okay, almost everybody can agree that Financial is the strongest trait, or at least "one of" the strongest traits... and this is still so after it was nerfed in the past.

It also is... I don't know... a bit "boring" compared to the other traits. No cheaper buildings, nothing... just +1 commerce on tiles of 2 or more commerce, that's it.

Why after all the patches and expansions have they not touched it? They've tinkered with many of the other ones in patches and expansions.

What if Financial just gave +1 commerce to tiles producing "3" or more instead? (This has been said plenty of times already.)

Then, perhaps along with that, Financial could receive cheaper buildings or other more creative bonuses as well.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Would the proposed, initial change destroy the trait and severely weaken it (Maybe it needs to be severely weakened though) or would it make no difference?

Yeah, you'll eventually receive the bonus to each tile anyway once the cottages mature further, but it'll take a bit more time to get there which may balance things out more.

What do you guys think?

I also think Imperialistic needs a bit more variety of bonuses... the settler bonus is nice at the beginning, but after that, you pretty much have only the bonus to Great Generals to rely on... and that's only if you're battling other civs. If you're playing on the defensive and not being attacked, the bonus is useless. There's no versatility.

Even with Aggressive, if you're not on the warpath, and seeking different, alternative victory paths with a particular civ, the trait isn't useless because at least your troops defending your cities are stronger, and the cheap barracks always helps along with giving more experience to all your units. Same with Charismatic.

I pretty much agree though I am no Civ expert.

I am guessing that they have trouble balancing Financial because since it isn't a percentage but a concrete bonus, it is hard to keep useful throughout the game while still keeping it balanced.

They probably should have just made it so that some specific buildings gave extra trade routes or something, or maybe just a flat boring bonus % to Gold (not Commerce). Then it would be more easy to balance and they could more easily weaken it up a bit on purpose so that they could offer something like cheaper Banks or whatever.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they have nerfed it, I'm pretty sure Colossus plus Financial doesn't give 3 commerce to ocean tiles anymore, neither does golden age plus financial. Not that it's a big nerf if it's true.

I don't care for Financial because it's boring, and haven't played it since BTS came out, but are either of 50_dollar_bag's claims true? I think Financial still benefits from both of those, and if it doesn't, it should...

One of the nice things about financial civs is that they allow coastal cities to generate a fair amount more revenue than they normally would. Unless there was some means of raising the commerce from water tiles (which would be a great bonus for Astronomy, Compass, whatever) I'd be opposed to this change.

I voted for "Change would be fine, but not necessary".

It was weakened considerably whenever the patch that increased overall costs so that the trait isn't CLEARLY overpowering anymore. If anybody has really really old saves from when Civ 4 was released, and run them again now in vanilla, they'll notice how much more expensive the empire costs to maintain. Not long before or after the said patch did cheap banks get removed as well. I'm fine with Financial as it is overall. I can't even think of how to buff or nerf the trait without causing more imbalances.

I do admit it's really boring of a trait however. The only decisions I seem to be making when Financial is city placement, when to grow the cottages, and when to whip.

<snip>

I do admit it's really boring of a trait however. The only decisions I seem to be making when Financial is city placement, when to grow the cottages, and when to whip.

I have the same sentiments. Financial just isn't fun. Specially when it has no cheap buildings or anything else other than +1 on plots producing 2 or more gold. It's fine as it is though.

Inflation is a lot higher now and increasing the increase in commerce from 2 to 3 would nerf most tiles especially river cottages, coastal, oasis...etc... I actually haven't played financial since Vanilla... it's fine as it is right now.

Yeah I think it's boring too, I can't think of any other solid bonuses for financial free trade routes or increase trade route commerce would be too weak on multiplayer as they'll just close their boarders.

I hope they get ALOT of cheap buildings if they do get nerfed.

I've played my own moded game where financial require 3C for +1C... waiting for those cottages to grow so I Could expand and pay maintenance was a pain... and most of my cottages weren't near rivers... it was because I didn't have many rivers and waiting a cottage to grow into a village take 30 turns :S... I had a lot of coastal tiles those... it would've help a lot if it was the original Financial trait.

If they were to nerf it maybe give Fin cheap harbors and custom houses so they can retain their navel bonus, of course Expansive would get a different cheap building maybe the Supermarket... if i tcomes to late then Aquaduct or Hospital can do.

I am guessing that they have trouble balancing Financial because since it isn't a percentage but a concrete bonus, it is hard to keep useful throughout the game while still keeping it balanced.

As opposed to, say, Protective, which sucks in the beginning, sucks in the middle, and sucks in the endgame ;)?

Ok, maybe that was a bit harsh, but its certainly no "Financial".

Just fine as it is.

Financial's fine. It's good but i wouldn't say it's "the strongest trait, or at least "one of" the strongest traits". It is only the strongest trait for noobs.

How do you figure it looses power when used by a non-noob? It is noob-friendly by being easy to use, yes. But surely it is still powerful if used by those who are more skilled.

Financial's fine. It's good but i wouldn't say it's "the strongest trait, or at least "one of" the strongest traits". It is only the strongest trait for noobs.

I agree.
And if you don't have a lot of shore cities... it's actially one of the weakest traits. (on pangea inland... or any other map with big landmasses)

The only place it truly is very good, is with willem, on a map with a lot of tiny islands.

but other than that... it's... an average trait.

i don't agree that it is the strongest.

it is among the better traits, but fine as it is.

What if Financial just gave +1 commerce to tiles producing "3" or more instead? (This has been said plenty of times already.)

I did that, and I think it's better now. Mansa don't always have tech lead now.

I think part of the (possible) problem is that many financial leaders have economy/researc boosting buildings too: mint, seowyn etc.

I like it just the way it is. I don't see it as overpowered, it's just right.

I personally rate it as one of the best traits.... I guess that makes me a "noob" :lol:

There also seems to be a lot of misinformation in this thread.

In my humble opinion, Financial is fine.

Rather, traits such as Protective and Imperialistic should be buffed.

Give protective leaders some bonus against episonage attacks, and give Great Generals the possibility to "lightbulb" certain key military techs ( indirect buff to Imperialistic )

Dont Touch My Finiancial Trait!! Its Mine Get Away From Me!!!

Top Bottom