The Forum of the Rock

Shattered

Lord of Utopia
I thought it would be a cool idea to open up a roman-forum style thread, based on nothing but factions argueing with each other, trying to get converts to join their cause. Please note, this is all roleplaying, so don't take it too seriously. :)

Setting: A large natural clearing, surrounded by woods. The clearing itself is shaped like a bowl, earth sloping down to a small flat base in the middle. A large rock sits in the middle of this depression. Imagine a prehistoric 360 degree amphitheatre.

The men of the factions gather around the stone, each eager to try and sell his words to the public. A weathered old man feebly climbs to the top of the rock, and stands tall. His words, while soft, are carried far by the shape of the earth.

"As you all know, I am Shattered, a philosopher of the legion. I have gathered you all today in this divine place, not in the name of violence, but in the name of peace. I have seen countless deaths, all stemming from our inherent differences between out native factions. It is time to put down the sword, and take up the word. Let it be known that this sacred place disallows violence; only diplomacy will save you here. So, let the factions speak! Tell the people why they should follow your faction! Tell them why they should not follow other factions! Let your voices be heard."

The old man slowly climbs to the ground, winded, but still standing. He turns to those men surrounding the stone. "It is your turn to speak, may your words have the power to change minds." The old man starts his slow journey back to his home, his job done.

Please sign me up, I will write something here in the fifth turnset or so here, as a nobleman. :)

A tall figure, wrapped in wolf hides, and armed with a Flint axe moves toward the front of the audience that has gathered to hear the wise man's speach. He reaches into a pouch on his belt and pulls out a stone then raises it above his head, then turns to address the audience.

"Hear me! I am Seidrik The Gray, and this is my stone that represents my right to speak here!" Seidrik then tosses his stone into a shallow pit near the central fire and then walks toward the Council Cairn, a large weather worn pillar of granite, positioned a few steps from the fire, but centered between the pit of speaking stones and the fire. The audience is gathered before him, respecting his right to speak.

Fixing the crowd with an open gaze and outstretched arms, Seidrik speaks so all may hear, "We have all heard the wise elder speak. His words of wisdom ring true in my spirit. Long have we walked in the dark fighting each other, fighting the beasts in the woods and hills. Now is a time for us to work together and become a greater tribe. A tribe and many tribes; it is time to combine our strengths."

"Long have we used this place to settle family disputes and matters concerning the herds and dangerous animals or outsiders. Let this place always serve that purpose and now as our people begin to flourish and our numbers increase, so too will our holdings and our contact with the places beyond our lands. These changes will only increase our need to have a common ground. Let this place be that common ground."

"I will leave my stone in the pit but leave the fire to hear what others have to say."

Seidrik turns to Rashiminos with a finger to his lips and a placating gesture with his other hand and whispers "Shush, now, he's an old man, and his dreams sometimes wander in front of his waking eyes. I, myself have never heard of a sword, but no matter what it is, I don't fear another man's dreams, but I know well enough to trust a good Flint Axe when I need to."

A sword. What a noble concept. Too bad I haven't made enough beakers, and therefore I don't know what Iron Working is. Even then I would have to find some iron on the ground, build a huge mine to extract it, and then put a giant road over it until I would find out what a sword is. Then I would have to bash a bunch of hammers together so I could make the sword, and the man holding it. (Women can't hold swords :D)

Oni...you are known to have these wild ideas about the future...but what are these hammers that you speak of? I know all about using hard stones and flint to carve shapes out of softer stones or to make my knives, spears, arrows, and axes, but a hammer? Perhaps you mean the club some of us have with the large stone tied to the top? A mine? A road? Iron? Iron sounds valuable...and if mining and roads are what you need to get it, then that would seem to make those things also very valuable. Have you spoken to our Shamen yet or the Oracle? Perhaps you're running a feaver or possessed by a some foul spirit? Or, maybe you've heard of these things from another tribe? You raise many questions, Oni. Your time may yet come, and it sounds like it will be a very interesting time indeed.

One day I was sitting around and all the sudden, a magical text appeared in front of me. It was called Civilization IV Manual. At first I was skeptical. There have been three other Civilizations before us? Preposterous!! Why would we need a manual for living, it doesn't seem that hard. How was this "manual" made, as we have not discovered Writing, Alphabet, Paper, or the Printing Press. I contemplated these ideas for weeks, then decided to just read the stupid thing, as it did magically sppear and all. I read it, and it opened a whole new world for me. (although it had nothing about Galf in it)

Hammers are sticks with a rectangular piece of metal on top that you use to create anything. The same hammer can be used to create people, weapons, buildings, even musical notes! You get hammers by picking them off the ground from places like Hills and Plain. Iron is this thing that magically becomes whatever you want it to be, once you create enough beakers to realize what it is you can want. A road is this grey thing that people walk on. A mine is the giant thing you plop on Iron to be able to use it.

/emote Jaw dropping
/emote Falls to his knees staggered as his universe is torn apart

Oni...where is this thing you call a manual? Or does "manual" stand for Ice2k4's special brew...and if it does how did you get him to give you enough to bring on these wondrous halucinations? At least that "manual" said we could pick up all of those hammers...if they truly are just laying around, people could trip and fall or worse!

Ice2k4, I want want ever you're serving this man! I must behold these wonders for myself!

Is this man a Witchdoctor? What is this Oracle you speak of? We are but a tribe of wanderers carrying stone and wood weapons. If this man were not one of my fellow Warlords I would consider him MAD. We shall force him to go under tent with all the daughters of tribal council and sweat out this case of Lions Fever.

No it not Ice's special brew. I don't drink, remember?
This manual is a bunch of pieces of paper stacked on top of each other and connected together. It appeared in a box that said Civilization IV. It is still a mystery to me.

The Oracle...she is the old toothless woman in the cave outside of our camp fires. As for our daughters...are the daughters of the Warlord tribe not comely enough for your people? Ours will have no truck with anyone outside of our clan unless our Chief allows it. You know the ways. A man must approach the Chief of another tribe before he asks to approach any woman not in his own tribe. Even then, you would be asked to pay a heavy price. Besides...do you see any women around, man? They either fear us (which I doubt) or think we're mad (which is most likely the case.)

No it not Ice's special brew. I don't drink, remember?
This manual is a bunch of pieces of paper stacked on top of each other and connected together. It appeared in a box that said Civilization IV. It is still a mystery to me.

I know that you don't drink, but maybe he doused you with a potion? Perhaps set fire to the contemplation pipe for you? Maybe it was the meditation circle?

I know that you don't drink, but maybe he doused you with a potion? Perhaps set fire to the contemplation pipe for you? Maybe it was the meditation circle?

He must have poisoned my food. :eek:

I believe the daughters of the Warlords tribe are so obsessed with martial prowess that their bulky forms are too grotesque for my eyes. This talk of text and manual resemble a demagogue's lies.

I don't know but when old man Beatris came down with lions fever, one hour with the daughters of tribal and he was a new man.

Well our women are the finest in the land, and they are rumored to have special powers that can cleanse you of your ills, but they are a tricksy bunch. You may find yourself in debted to them before you know it! I'd watch out for the mothers though. Once they sink their hooks in you, you'll pledge yourself to a life of celibacy my friend! All of our women cary these curiously curved little knives that they use to shear our sheep...and I think they use them for sheering off other things too, but I've just made it a good practice to tread lightly around any woman from the Tribal Council's tents.

I believe the daughters of the Warlords tribe are so obsessed with martial prowess that their bulky forms are too grotesque for my eyes. This talk of text and manual resemble a demagogue's lies.

I have to go lay down my muscles are hurting from beating up my competitors. :lol::mischief::)

Top Bottom