[LP] The Inspiration for Games and Recreation needs to change

The Inspiration for Games and Recreation needs to change

• Total voters

Civilopedian

Chieftain
The Inspiration for Games and Recreation is to have researched Construction. I would go so far as to say that unless I am purposely delaying technologies being researched and going out of my way to build a Water Mill to get the Eureka for Construction, then I am not going to get the Inspiration for Games and Recreation. Among the most welcome benefits from a Tribal Village for me is this specific Inspiration. And honestly, I do not want to build a Water Mill in the early game because the benefit of it is weak versus the other things I could build. It delays my game to do so.

Generally speaking, although Construction is a useful technology for lumber mills, mills are only relevant early on if I am suffering immensely from a lack of hill tiles (ie rarely), and I find that it is not my typical route of entry to the Classical Era technologies, and entry this way and trying desperately to get that inspiration will delay my victory significantly because it means either that I am not getting my Campuses/ComHubs/IZs online or I am avoiding Machinery and therefore not getting Engineering for Aqueducts for additional housing or Crossbowmen to give myself a power spike in my military capability.

Therefore in well over 90% of my games, I am hard teching the entirety of Games and Recreation and completely avoiding bothering with getting the inspiration, which to me is a bit sad, because all those boosts are nice to get and give the player satisfaction. It is important to me that I get that Inspiration because I want to accelerate my progress towards Feudalism. In most games I am not going to Recorded History first. I beeline Feudalism and hope by that point someone has declared war on me so I have the Inspiration for Defensive Tactics, which is another annoying one.

Truth be told, I don't believe I can offer the best suggestion as to what should be the replacement Inspiration. All else I will say is, the Inspiration should not be to research Construction, and perhaps it should be themed towards the civic's name, such as pertaining to the acquisition of amenities or a good amount of happiness in your empire. For example, it could be "Acquire at least +3 amenities in a city" or "Make at least one city Happy", which is something that players will like to do, is easier to do, benefits them to do and therefore is something they will regularly do, by for example improving or trading for 3 different luxuries or building a wonder like Temple of Artemis. This particular suggestion would also improve the viability of the oft neglected Audience Chamber, which gives +2 amenities per stationed governor, and it would make Pen, Brush and Voice slightly better, because that's another era score from an easier to get Inspiration. As I say, I don't think this is the best suggestion, but maybe it's a start, to get the ball rolling on something better.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I am very much interested in reading them here. Firaxis, take note.

Last edited:
Firaxis, take note.
They are 100% not going to update this. It is likely the game will receive no further updates period.

At any rate,I am not sure I agree with your premise. Forcing you to make a change in your playstyle and sacrifice something to get the boost is very likely the entire point of how some Eurekas/Inspirations are set up.

Last edited:
They are 100% not going to update this. It is likely the game will receive no further updates period.

At any rate,I am not sure I agree with your premise. Forcing you to make a change in your playstyle and sacrifice something to get the boost is very likely the entire point of how some Eurekas/Inspirations are set up.
I disagree because I think most of them are actually helpful to the efficient progress of your civ and unlike the rest of them in the Ancient Era, this inspiration does not help you progress in an efficient way.

Truth be told, I don't believe I can offer the best suggestion as to what should be the replacement Inspiration. All else I will say is, the Inspiration should not be to research Construction, and perhaps it should be themed towards the civic's name, such as pertaining to the acquisition of amenities or a good amount of happiness in your empire. For example, it could be "Acquire at least +3 amenities in a city" or "Make at least one city Happy", which is something that players will like to do, is easier to do, benefits them to do and therefore is something they will regularly do, by for example improving or trading for 3 different luxuries or building a wonder like Temple of Artemis. This particular suggestion would also improve the viability of the oft neglected Audience Chamber, which gives +2 amenities per stationed governor, and it would make Pen, Brush and Voice slightly better, because that's another era score from an easier to get Inspiration. As I say, I don't think this is the best suggestion, but maybe it's a start, to get the ball rolling on something better.

If anyone else has any other suggestions I am very much interested in reading them here. Firaxis, take note.
I assume the need for learning Construction has to do with the idea of the Romans revolutionizing the idea of construction plus being known for it's gladiator games. But sure, I can see why it would be a stretch.

That being said I think acquiring a certain number of amenities, or happiness in a city might be too easy. What about training a heavy chariot? It goes with the idea of needing amenities for war, and chariot racing was definitely a thing. :)

I disagree because I think most of them are actually helpful to the efficient progress of your civ and unlike the rest of them in the Ancient Era, this inspiration does not help you progress in an efficient way.
Well the good news is that one can mod Inspiration and Eureka triggers. If you wanted to get into modding, changing the Games and Recreation Inspiration would be a good first project.

Top Bottom