[NFP] The Jukebox: My solution to Civ 6's music-playing problems

I don't think it's an unpopular opinion that Civ 6's soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. I love its OST to death and the music in this game is incredibly important to me.

It's just painfully unfortunate that the best way to listen to this music isn't by playing the game.

I have a lot of gripes with the way Civ 6 plays its music. There are countless little inconveniences that hinder and dampen my enjoyment of the music. To list a few:
  • A civ's theme playing immediately after it just played
  • Music from previous eras playing far more often than it should
  • Certain ambient themes rarely if ever playing
  • These painfully long silences between songs
  • A civ's main theme briefly playing before suddenly cutting to one of its ambient themes
  • Music constantly being softened/made quiet from various unimportant sound cues (World Congress being an example) and taking far too long to go back to full volume
  • Your current song being interrupted by another leader's agenda response
  • The delay before a civ's theme starts playing on the diplomacy screen
  • Songs not finishing after being interrupted

Beyond fixing or altering these grievances, I'd also suggest a new feature: the Jukebox. It's a toggleable UI add-on that controls numerous aspects of the music.

The Jukebox not only tells you the name and era of the current song, but it also has these buttons:
  • Skip Song
  • Repeat Song (a checkbox that will play the current song on loop until unchecked)
  • An Ambient From this Civ
  • This Civ's Theme (choosing between the current era or a past era)
  • Ambient from a Different Civ
  • Theme from a Different Civ (choosing between the current era or a past era)
  • Ambient from My Civ
  • Theme from My Civ (choosing between the current era or a past era)
The songs the Jukebox can play aren't just limited to the civs in your current game, though. You can manually select any theme you'd like and play it at any time. And- as suggested by @XX36789- title screen music from past and current games is also playable in the Jukebox, once you've unlocked it through achievements. Hey, if we wanted, we could even go one step further and include all the music from previous games as unlockables. I wouldn't complain :mischief:

Thoughts? Suggestions? This idea has been floating around in my head for a while now, and I'm curious to see what others think about it.

Something like Ck2's Music Jukebox except a bit more complex could work as well.

Last edited:
I've never played Ck2, so what is their Jukebox like?
It's like your idea, except you just press a button and it picks a piece of music in a specific order, I believe. After some internet research, it seems the EU4 and HOI4 Music buttons are better Paradox music buttons.

But yeah, I like your idea. It's better than what Paradox has.

Top Bottom