The Merchant Guild

The Philosophy and Goals seem in tune to my beliefs. (Heck, I've given a speech on the discussion thread that we use the current settler to put City #2 near the horses :D ) Very well. Sign me up.

Count me in.

My playing style? I always try to get as many resources as possible and build a basic defensive military. The only way that I get into a war is when another nation attacks me for not paying tribute to them. I'm such a newbie that I still have to get to the industrial age in chieftain.Oh Yeah I NEVER CONNECT TO IVORY IN CIV3.

:bounce: :banana:

As a money-lov-, I mean FREEDOM-loving citizen of Japanatica, I would also like to join the Merchants Guild. I feel our people have a right to live with access to all the major luxuries and am an exponent of Free Trade, meaning we should have free access to all world markets. I feel the military should take a back seat, but should nevertheless be fully supplied with all resources it may need.

Sorry for the lack of updates friends, Im working 12 hour days right now :)

So as we now have contact with babylon, what do our members feel our policy should be toward Babylon?

Personally, their use as a trading partner will end when our border touch theirs should we ever actually be conected to them. However. they would be useful for technology.

I feel we should keep them alive so they can buy our goods, though we should also ensure they never have any critical resource (luxury or strategic) that they can extort us over.

I would also like to join this guild.

About the Babylons, we should expand quickly as they might be a neighbour vying for the same resources as us.

Well, with Furuyama and the singles to the North, we probably won't have to worry about the Babs (or the Romans for that matter) getting some resources we don't have. (And watch as we find out that Babylon was founded on a Fur Forest :shakehead: )

Now all we need to worry about is controling the trade of these resources. The Grapes to the SE are too far for us to control. The Gems are another story, as there is also a Horse nearby, making it a National Security Issue.

Control of Trade = Control of Destiny. At least until the swords are drawn.

I concur with Sir Donald that we need to assert our dominance over the gems and Horse before anyone else does. The military will also most likely take this p;osition as well.

I would like to join this group as it fits my playing style perfectly, which I would describe as aggresively mercantile. I have gone to war countless times for resources, luxurious or strategic. I believe that trading and diplomacy has a place, but only to a point; ultimately, our interests are paramount, and must be secured. Bad deals, insulting demands, and certainly in cases of resource scarcity, are all plausible reasons to declare war in my book.

I strongly agree with Bobby Lee's statement that economy should be used to force foreign policy upon others.

Finally, I definitely agree with Sir Donald and Der Sensenmann on the need to get to the gems and horse as soon as possible, not only for our benefit, but to impede the progress of the Babylonians.

-Alex

Sir Donald III said:
Well, with Furuyama and the singles to the North, we probably won't have to worry about the Babs (or the Romans for that matter) getting some resources we don't have. (And watch as we find out that Babylon was founded on a Fur Forest :shakehead: )

Now all we need to worry about is controling the trade of these resources. The Grapes to the SE are too far for us to control. The Gems are another story, as there is also a Horse nearby, making it a National Security Issue.

Control of Trade = Control of Destiny. At least until the swords are drawn.

Nothing is too far for us to control. A late ingame resouce is something for us to worry about though.

I feel that the acquisition of those wines the Romans will surely take should also be one of our relatively early objectives, once the situation is stable enough. Also, I wouldn't mind a nice ermine coat or two, so Babylon may need to be taken down a bit.

We need to connect gems asap in my opinion, with the massive growth we stand to gain from Immo, I really look forward to placing another city around there. Maybe not right now, but soon.

Indeed, we should connect the Gems. So long as the creation of the required workers would not interfere with the creation of Settlers securing Wines and Iron.

Your views and opinions are very much parallel to my own (except im an old war-dog aswell)...

I think that wars are a critical (and fun) part of Civilization as this is the main way to expand territory. There's nothing better than seeing your colour slowly expanding to fill the entire game world, and the feeling of accomplishment after you gain a Conquest victory. :king:

However to conduct wars you need a massive economy, and money is a mans best friend (after women and dogs).

I would like to join.....

I wish also to join this great group that it may rise to the Great Emperor's standards.

It is with great pleasure that I can announce (as if you all didn't know already) the completion of the commercial Great Wonder: Smith's Trading Company in Shorin-Ryu.
With such a significant boost to commerce, Shorin-Ryu has pretty much become the unofficial commercial capital of Japanatica.

Top Bottom