The Most Dangerous Game - Small Pangaea FFA

Well I was really looking forward to CiV and thought the one unit/tile could be very interesting. I also love a few of the other new concepts which make me not want to give up on it completely (units don't fight to the death, how policies are implemented, the idea of city states). Unfortunately, I've played maybe a dozen games and have always become bored, something that hasn't happened to me with any previous incarnation. I have read Sulla's article and pretty much agreed with him as to the game's faults which have been discussed so often in these forums that I won't go into it further :)

I've played Civilization since the original (when I was about 7 or 8 years old) and it has always been the game I've played most even to the point that I have tended to upgrade my computer when a new version comes out - I don't think I'd do that for any other game/franchise. While all three previous versions were great for their time, I don't play them at all any more. I do have nostalgic feelings for some elements of them (the palace of Civ/Civ2) but in terms of gameplay they're not as advanced as C-IV. I wouldn't advise playing them if you haven't already (I think it's like watching old films: while there are a few old films I looove [Planet of the Apes, Rear Window, maybe a couple of others I can't recall atm], I find that I cannot enjoy most old films even if they were exceptional at release because the acting/filming/effects aren't up to the standard I'm used to).

I've never played Warcraft but from a quick glance at wiki it looks like Age of Empires with a fantasy twist - is that fair to say? I did love the AoE series but found the AI to be too predictable/uncompetitive. I also tended to be a fairly defensive player: expand to grab land and resources then throw up walls, towers, castles and build archery units in strategic places while I exhaust my resources. Since I had grabbed a greater share of the resources than I was "entitled" to the end game was always going to go my way... This seemed an effective strategy but did become a bit tedious.

Other games... Heroes of Might and Magic II (ancient, but a classic I play every now and again); Football Manager [I used to play Ultimate Soccer Manager 2 (1996) and Premier Manager '97 religiously but now rarely play FM as it ran quite slowly on my old computer]. That's pretty much it offline. Online I play Diplomacy (at Diplomaticcorp), Chess, Hattrick (football manager sim), and ConquerClub (a Risk clone with different maps). Unfortunately I'm losing interest in a few of these - hence the question to see whether I could find something new and fun :)

Little bit longer reply than I'd intended...

Ah, so I see you're a football fan in the proper English way :p

I've never really cared for it myself, especially since it's really not that popular here in North America, where we call it soccer. But in general I'm not interested in watching sports, and so I've never played any "fantasy" variant.

But yeah, Warcraft III is essentially like Age of Empires, but it's a lot more fast-paced, very multiplayer oriented, has 4 different playable races with vastly different play styles, and was groundbreaking in the RTS genre for having "Hero" units that gain experience and new abilities based on how much your army kills. It's old but the graphics aren't really that dated, but if you try playing the multiplayer as a "noob" you'll end up getting destroyed without knowing even knowing what happened. If you like the RTS genre however, the single-player campaign is very enjoyable. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Otherwise, I'm essentially out of the loop for new video-games. I'm not a fan of console gaming, and they dominate the market pretty strongly right now, to the point where most things you can play on the PC are just adaptations from consoles and have all of the inherent flaws of consoles without utilizing the UI advantages of the PC. But then again maybe I'm just beginning to ask kids to get off of my proverbial lawn.

If you're interested in Western RPGs (i.e. not Japanese because those, with some notable exceptions, suck), I have a bunch of titles I can give you, as I've played most of what deserves to be played. RPGs and strategy games are what I play usually, when I play video games.

Also, InFact and I have a group that plays tabletop role-playing games, such as Dungeons and Dragons and the like. They can be extremely fun, but the downside is that they require you to know other people who play them, which can be difficult. We meet around once a week for our geeky get-togethers.

So yeah, that's pretty much it for my gaming background. What's Diplomacy though? I've heard about it a little, sounds fun. Isn't it a board game though?

I like football (association) and NFL, but the sims over here are all association (soccer).

The only RPG I have played was Baldur's Gate (going back a bit) and it got pretty repetitive quickly so I've never really gone any further in that genre. As for console gaming, I used to play a lot of Playstation (Gran Turismo, Tank Racer, FIFA '99, maybe some others) but keeping up with the constant upgrades and ever-increasing prices is a waste. We got a Wii as well but hardly ever play it: fun for parties but not single-player.

Diplomacy is good fun if you can find people to play with. It's a board game but used to be played by snail-mail and has been adapted for internet (PBEM is what I do). It can be played live. There are seven powers playing on a map of Europe, and the key difference with other games is that every unit has the same strength and you can only have one unit per territory. No dice rolling, to succeed in an attack you need to provide support from neighbouring units and similarly you can support a unit who is being attacked. This means that diplomacy is of utmost importance because you will normally need other people's support for both attacking and defending. Unfortunately, you find some players who don't talk enough or aren't great at the strategy and that can really unbalance a game. It's fun to play though and definitely worth a look. There are non-PBEM internet sites too on which you can play quickly and easily to get acquainted with the game (webdiplomacy.net). When you get a good group of players for a PBEM it can be intense though because alliances shift rapidly in response to changes in the balance of power.

Espírito;11187735 said:
So, while we're waiting, what other games do people play? And what're your opinions of CiV (if you, like me, were a fool and pre-ordered it)?

Well ... RL left me without too much time to play games - so I play mostly just Civ IV and Starcraft 2 on "digital support" and Dominion and Twilight Struggle "on board".

I tried Civ5 but I found out that micromanagement needed to move all armies in order to wage a "medium-size war" is absolutely boring ... so I quit playing it. :(

Hi guys (still cant do my turn, only have the iPad here),

Ive played alot of games since i was 13-14 (im 27 now), but there have been some memorable ones over the years. Master of Orion I on 386 Dos machine :), Heroes of Might and Magic series, XCom.. Then the internet came and i started to play with a group of friends - first, it was an FPS called Counter-Strike, which is really not that special, and then EVE Online. played EVE for 3 years and would still do it, if it didnt take so much time. The best game ever made, if you ask me, and calling it a game is an understatement anyway.

Nowdays no time to play, what with the work and family. only thing i could fit in was Civ 4 PBEM. I have played all Civ games in the series, but mostly civ 4, on and off for 2-3 years. And still find new stuff in it.. Also, my favourite sci-fi author Iain M Banks plays civ :)

Never played Civ 5, heard it was crap.

On tabletop i used to be into Warhammer, heard theres a card game of it now aswell.

Cheers, rd13

Heh cool, so you're an EVE Online fan. I never got into it mostly because it seems arcane beyond belief and well... it's an MMO. But yeah it seems pretty awesome.

So yeah, it's the 24th tomorrow! Although I'm sure you must be sad your vacation is over, I'm eagerly awaiting turn 2!

I only ever move my settler if it's an unforested flatland adjacent to the starting position, so that I don't waste a turn. Even then, though, it's a possible strategic resource spawn point and I don't really feel like settling on top of it.

Also, it's just the type of regret that someone doesn't feel like carrying around for a year during a PBEM.

I had one in SP as the Greeks where I moved, lost a turn, and picked up 2 Gems that I couldn't even see. I moved to pick up a corn iirc. That made my day. Of course, it's not often that happens so I do only do it when my starting location isn't great (food/shield poor, or to move next to a river/pick up visible resources).

I understand what you mean though about it being a PBEM so the regret could be extended. I took over a spot in another PBEM and the original player had moved into a spot with virtually no hammers, but very food heavy - not the sort of city I like for my capital - but the land surrounding was rich in nice hammer tiles (grasland hills/ivories) so I don't know why he moved. He founded two cities, both commerce powerhouses but poor production so I inherited a technolgoically advanced but infrastructure and military poor civ... I've managed to turn it around into a military and production rich but technologically backward civ :)

Personally, I am a fan of settling plains hills, and will sometimes accept the loss of my first turn to place my capital on one; in a multiplayer game, I'd be even more inclined to do so, as the hill defense bonus has a much greater chance of coming handy. Unfortunately, the game has a habit of punishing me for my hubris by placing food resources just out of my initial line of sight, and out of my displaced city's new borders xD

Top Bottom