The Most Dangerous Game - Small Pangaea FFA

I was tempted by Sumeria, especially since I've not played them for aaages... /me goes to start single player game.

I pick KUBLAI KHAN (of the OTTOMAN SULTANATE).

2nd post updates to reflect.

Alright! So everyone picked! We should now decide the order of turns. I'll list our respective time zones and we should fill in the time we're most likely to play our turns in GMT (i.e. 24:00). Probably it's best in any case for me and InFact to play last.

rd13 +2 GMT; plays turns usually between 15:00-17:00 GMT weekdays, or weekends at 12:00-15:00 GMT
Mitiu +2 GMT; plays turns usually before 6:30 GMT or 12:00 GMT
Gareth 0 GMT; plays turns usually between 18:00-24:00 GMT
InFact -5 GMT; plays turns usually between 15:00-17:00 GMT or 21:00-23:00 GMT
Tankra -5 GMT; plays turns usually between 21:00-23:00 GMT

So reply to the thread and tell me what your preferences are. I'll update this post dynamically and then we can finally start!

On weekdays between 15:00-17:00 GMT, on weekends around 12:00-15:00 GMT.

Wow, you guys really get up early in the morning then (or dont get to bed very early?) :)

I'm almost certain to be available to play turns at some point between 1800-2400 GMT/BST but am often able to play outside these times. I'd guess I'd be best to go between mitiu/rd and Alexi/Etienne

Alright, seems like all we need now is to get mitiu's usual playing hours and we'll be all set. I look forward to starting this very soon guys!

Hi guys !

Usually I'm able to play 2 moves/day - before 8:30 AM ( during my coffee-refill in the morning ) and sometime in the afternoon ... choose the best fit for the game-sequence. :)

Best regards guys !

Alright so according to everyone's availabilities, the best turns sequence should be:

1. Mitiu
2. rd13
3. Espirito
4. InFact
5. Tankra

We'll have to start on the 24th due to the fact that rd13 is going on vacation until then. However, we can start off the game's 1st turn ASAP. If Espirito launches it, we can keep the same turn order while having rd13 play last, putting us in a position to look at all of our starts while we wait for the 24th. I think it's about time we start this :)

Also, it's come to my attention that Mitiu has problems receiving notifications from the CivFanatics forums. So, in the future, if you want to contact him, it's best to do so by email.

Okay, I'm launching the game now. Since not every map setting is included in post #1 I had to make a few decisions, see below. For all the options not mentioned in post #1 they're OFF (except modified assets). All victory conditions (including time) are on. The difficulty level is set at the default of NORMAL (it will affect speed of play e.g. tech times and building times, but not anything else since huts are OFF).

Sea Level: LOW - it's Pangaea so the sea is going to be mostly ignored.
Shoreline: Random
Resources: Standard
Worldwrap: Cylindrical

I've not launched a PBEM before, so am hoping it's all set up right, we do have a couple of weeks before Ardi returns so we can fix any errors. If you do notice anything wrong, please let us know asap.

The play order can be found in post #2 for reference and you should all have each other's email addresses by now.

alea iacta est

Heh. I take it you don't like Civ 5 then?

Well, I had heard really good things about it when it first came out, and I was already in love with Civ 4, so I bought it quite soon after it came out. I proceeded to play around 2 games and got tired with it, letting it rot on my Steam account forever more.

I read an article a while back from one of the developers of Civ 4 about the many faults of Civ 5, and it pretty much describes many of my complaints about the game. Scroll down to the part where he starts talking about "What went wrong with Civ 5?" It's a pretty good article, but it's probably dated as of right now, assuming they've patched the game continuously since then. His argument has 5 main points that are all good critiques of the game, but it's really point #1 about how the 1-unit stack restriction affects everything else that brings it home I'd say, and that's something that's completely unpatchable.

Otherwise, I'm also quite well versed in real-time strategy, specifically Warcaft III. I played that game almost religiously from around 2001 to 2010. It has brought me countless hours of pleasure and pain. If you're not too familiar with the game, the high-level play is pretty much purely about intense, high-paced micromanagement, something for which you really have to be "in shape." I've refrained from buying and playing Starcraft 2, because I'd probably get addicted to it like crazy.

I also haven't really played any of the previous Civ games, being relatively new to the franchise. Do they offer something that Civ 4 doesn't? Are they worth it, according to you guys?

And what about you Gareth, what other games do you play?

Top Bottom